Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 02:50 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(04-03-2016 02:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 02:30 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Practicing my debating skills, just in case I run into someone that actually matters. Big Grin

If you want to improve your debating skills you need to find someone who actually knows how to debate.

A valid point!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
04-03-2016, 03:15 PM
(04-03-2016 02:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If you want to improve your debating skills you need to find someone who actually knows how to debate.

There are plenty of people here who know how to debate. They just happen to be on the wrong side for Fatbaldhobbit's purposes.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
07-03-2016, 11:01 AM
(04-03-2016 10:26 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 10:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You're right! Based on your single anecdotal case in evidence, let's lock up every well-adjusted father in the world, just to be safe! Are YOU well-adjusted? Should we lock up the well-adjusted TTA'ers, too?

How do you know who is what? Do you just take everyone's word for it if they say they're well adjusted?

The one thing I find odd about you is you seem to respond to people as if literally just asking questions and not believing something you're told is an excessive trait. Seriously questioning how a person written about in the bible would know something was seen as a leap or going to crazy extreme according to you.

Do you just believe taking someones word for something is rational?

1. Taking the word of trustworthy people is normal and rational.

2. God offers fulfilled prophecy in the Bible, which I was able to research before trusting Jesus for salvation. That's your opportunity now, too.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2016, 11:02 AM
(04-03-2016 10:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Why would I seek counseling for hearing from God? He's not telling me to kill people in a stadium, He tells me to share the gospel and love on people. Are you blithely unaware that the AMA and professionals consider prayer a healthy outlet in every respect?

Prayer, i.e. talking TO god, is different from hearing FROM god. If you cannot tell the difference or refuse to acknowledge a difference, then further discussion of the topic is pointless.

(04-03-2016 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You're right! My posts are inflammatory--for love is inflammatory to the unredeemed atheists of the world.
And if you're going to post this dishonestly, further discussion of any topic may be pointless.

Hearing from God is not sign of a disorder, either. Further, you know both that I'm not violent or schizophrenic, and you also know the outcome of my faith is love and compassion for others.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
07-03-2016, 11:04 AM
(04-03-2016 02:31 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 12:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  He is increasingly just preaching.

Yeah. Once he stopped discussing things and started preaching and making bold proclamations about what atheists believe/need, I stopped talking to him.

I see. So now you do not ignore my posts but actually read them without replying to me. Why is that? What is so intriguing?

I'm happy to discuss anything here with anyone, despite the fact that when I show vulnerability, or even humor or good cheer, I get derision.

What do you want to talk about?

07-03-2016, 01:34 PM
(07-03-2016 11:02 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hearing from God is not sign of a disorder, either. Further, you know both that I'm not violent or schizophrenic, and you also know the outcome of my faith is love and compassion for others.

Hearing from god or other imaginary figures can most certainly be a sign of a mental disorder.

So you accept that Abraham was legitimately hearing god.
Was Andrea Yates hearing god? If not how do you determine the difference.

Abraham was supposedly rewarded for killing his son. Remember, it's the intent that counts, according to the bible. It is irrelevant that he was supposedly stopped. According to the fable, he was in the act of killing his son and was rewarded for that act.

To repeat, how do you know Andrea Yates wasn't hearing god?

ETA:
And I know nothing about you. For all I know you could be violent and schizophrenic. And I've seen the products of the christian faith. I wouldn't brag about that.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
07-03-2016, 02:07 PM
I just dont talk to people that besmirch the name of Q.
07-03-2016, 05:36 PM
(07-03-2016 02:07 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I just dont talk to people that besmirch the name of Q.

Eh. Q himself did a fair enough job of it, later in the series - though I suppose you could blame the writers for that, more than him.

I'm just glad he got a transplant over into Friendship Is Magic, where he's actually quite an engaging character again. Most of the time.

I swear, if anyone ever lets Neal Dusedau near a script again, there will be blood.

I'm only being partly facetious here. Discord really is Q under a different name, by the writers' admission. He's even voiced by John de Lancie.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
07-03-2016, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 06:06 PM by ClydeLee.)
(07-03-2016 11:01 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 10:26 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  How do you know who is what? Do you just take everyone's word for it if they say they're well adjusted?

The one thing I find odd about you is you seem to respond to people as if literally just asking questions and not believing something you're told is an excessive trait. Seriously questioning how a person written about in the bible would know something was seen as a leap or going to crazy extreme according to you.

Do you just believe taking someones word for something is rational?

1. Taking the word of trustworthy people is normal and rational.

2. God offers fulfilled prophecy in the Bible, which I was able to research before trusting Jesus for salvation. That's your opportunity now, too.

1. Going by stating something as "normal" very much besmirches your idea of it being rational.

2. Your statement here just shows completely an untrue process. That's not a likely true & trusting reflection of your past pattern. Then the problem you arrive to is you're not trustworthy. Perhaps you could work on that.

Yes, and I've looked into prophecy myself and it's so horribly not information anyone should trust. It's just like prophecy of Islamic, Hindu, & conspiracy worlds. They don't work on a logical progression, they work on patterns such as 1-2-4-30 to conclude their claims. Not on a direct or logical wavelength.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
07-03-2016, 06:15 PM
(04-03-2016 02:50 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 02:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If you want to improve your debating skills you need to find someone who actually knows how to debate.

A valid point!

Q and WailoftheChild are tedious.

#sigh