Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2016, 06:34 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(07-03-2016 11:02 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 10:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Prayer, i.e. talking TO god, is different from hearing FROM god. If you cannot tell the difference or refuse to acknowledge a difference, then further discussion of the topic is pointless.

And if you're going to post this dishonestly, further discussion of any topic may be pointless.

Hearing from God is not sign of a disorder, either. Further, you know both that I'm not violent or schizophrenic, and you also know the outcome of my faith is love and compassion for others.

It's a sign that you're full of shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
08-03-2016, 08:14 AM
(07-03-2016 06:02 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 11:01 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. Taking the word of trustworthy people is normal and rational.

2. God offers fulfilled prophecy in the Bible, which I was able to research before trusting Jesus for salvation. That's your opportunity now, too.

1. Going by stating something as "normal" very much besmirches your idea of it being rational.

2. Your statement here just shows completely an untrue process. That's not a likely true & trusting reflection of your past pattern. Then the problem you arrive to is you're not trustworthy. Perhaps you could work on that.

Yes, and I've looked into prophecy myself and it's so horribly not information anyone should trust. It's just like prophecy of Islamic, Hindu, & conspiracy worlds. They don't work on a logical progression, they work on patterns such as 1-2-4-30 to conclude their claims. Not on a direct or logical wavelength.

Prophecy in religious books are all an example of post-hoc rationalization or post-hoc interpretation.

Take Revelations 12:3 for example:

And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

What is the dragon? What do the heads represent? What do the crowns represent?

The answer is, these things can represent anything you want. Did a nation do something in the news? Then one of those heads can be a nation.

Did a leader of a nation just do something newsworthy? Then one of those crowns can be that leader.

Just take something from the news and project it onto that scripture- voila! The bible has prophesied it! (Just send $14.95 for my latest book and DVD about these amazing end time prophecies today!)

Here's a horoscope for Pisces:

Your mental processes may run into a snag as you discover that there are certain rules and guidelines by which you need to abide, Pisces. Sometimes you feel as if you're above all the rules, that you can establish your own based on your personal morals, and that everything will be fine. Unfortunately, you must sometimes obey others' rules. Try not to be upset by this; just deal with it.

Wow! That could really apply for my life! It seems to speak to things that are occurring in my life!

But- I'm a Virgo, not a Pisces. Facepalm

This is Q's world.......

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
08-03-2016, 01:46 PM
(07-03-2016 06:34 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 11:02 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hearing from God is not sign of a disorder, either. Further, you know both that I'm not violent or schizophrenic, and you also know the outcome of my faith is love and compassion for others.

It's a sign that you're full of shit.

And that is a understatement. The Q is cucu crazy.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
08-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Why do they come here? Because deep down inside of themselves they know they are wrong, and want to argue about it in an attempt to feel better. Feel less threatened.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-03-2016, 01:56 PM
(08-03-2016 01:54 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Why do they come here? Because deep down inside of themselves they know they are wrong, and want to argue about it in an attempt to feel better. Feel less threatened.

Maybe some of them just want to troll like Q or Call of the wild.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
08-03-2016, 01:57 PM
(08-03-2016 01:56 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 01:54 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Why do they come here? Because deep down inside of themselves they know they are wrong, and want to argue about it in an attempt to feel better. Feel less threatened.

Maybe some of them just want to troll like Q or Call of the wild.

But do you ever wonder what makes them decide to come troll here? If they actually are christian? What makes them think "I think I'll go harass atheists"

I think I'm still right, even if on the surface its just to be annoying.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-03-2016, 02:33 PM
(08-03-2016 01:57 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 01:56 PM)Leo Wrote:  Maybe some of them just want to troll like Q or Call of the wild.

But do you ever wonder what makes them decide to come troll here? If they actually are christian? What makes them think "I think I'll go harass atheists"

I think I'm still right, even if on the surface its just to be annoying.

They think if they shove Jesus in our face just one more time, we'll convert.

[Image: donotwant-spongebob.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
08-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Maybe they just like to get spanked... Evil_monster

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
08-03-2016, 11:55 PM
I mostly just want to learn. I also wanna test what I do know. I'm aware I'm no leading theologian but I do at least like to believe I know more than the common theist. But mostly I stumbled upon the website on accident and took a little interest.
09-03-2016, 10:18 AM
(07-03-2016 01:34 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 11:02 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hearing from God is not sign of a disorder, either. Further, you know both that I'm not violent or schizophrenic, and you also know the outcome of my faith is love and compassion for others.

Hearing from god or other imaginary figures can most certainly be a sign of a mental disorder.

So you accept that Abraham was legitimately hearing god.
Was Andrea Yates hearing god? If not how do you determine the difference.

Abraham was supposedly rewarded for killing his son. Remember, it's the intent that counts, according to the bible. It is irrelevant that he was supposedly stopped. According to the fable, he was in the act of killing his son and was rewarded for that act.

To repeat, how do you know Andrea Yates wasn't hearing god?

ETA:
And I know nothing about you. For all I know you could be violent and schizophrenic. And I've seen the products of the christian faith. I wouldn't brag about that.

You know much about me. You also know that schizophrenics and others give signs of their illnesses often in many ways.

To answer your question, as always, the Bible has a great answer. If someone tells you "here's a god message", you must align that message with scripture. If Andrea Yates heard, "Kill your children by drowning to save them," we have to line that up with the scriptural way to be saved:

Trust Jesus.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user