Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2016, 09:26 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(02-02-2016 10:45 AM)mgoering Wrote:  We're all here for different reasons.

I'm a relatively new deconvert, so I come here frequently to listen to rational arguments against theism in order reinforce my newly held beliefs. Something so irrational should be very easy to dismiss. But because the decades of indoctrination and the threats for apostasy built in to the religion itself, it takes longer than it should.

That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK. But, what I'm really interested in is understanding the psychology of what causes a person to so passionately believe or not believe. So if you can, be brutally honest.

You have passionate people on any subject, and others simply don't give a fuck, on any subject, not just religion, it can be about politics or sports. I wouldn't recommend telling some Star Trek Fans it is just a show.

And Ford and Chevy fans don't like each other. Soccer fans have been so passionate that they have murdered their own player for knocking a ball in his own net. Humans are stupid.

Now having said that, there is a reason for BOTH atheists and theists to be passionate. Because humans vote, and religious people run governments and they all have their hands on weapons.

I'd only say that the difference between the passion of a theocratic nutfuck is based on delusion while a passionate atheist can value facts and evidence and promote that. I'd only agree with theists that where the passion stops is calls to violence or acts of violence.

I think it is extremely important to care about religion considering all the divisions and conflicts it causes. Not that you can force any religion out of existence on a planet of 7 billion. But just like a volcano, it can be dormant and do nothing most of the time, the danger is always there, so it is never a good idea to assume it is always harmless.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
19-03-2016, 11:44 AM
(09-03-2016 10:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  To be honest, I've been questioning recently why I do come here.

In that case, It'd be better for all of us—including you—to leave the TTA forums permanently, and ASAP. You obviously get little enjoyment from participating here, you seem perpetually angry, and you invariably have nothing positive to add to any thread you post to.

I can tolerate your childish levels of logical [sic] thought processes, and your schoolyard name calling, but you've obviously not realised just how bad an "advertisement" you are for the more intellectual theists out there. And the other theists here must be mortified when they read some of the abject drivel you post repeatedly, and apparently without any sense of embarrassment. Have you no shame?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
19-03-2016, 12:02 PM
(19-03-2016 11:44 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Have you no shame?

He's proud to be a walking advert for the risks of unprotected mindfucking.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
22-03-2016, 09:27 AM
(18-03-2016 10:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 09:14 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  If the miracles were dime-sized, how is it that you and every other TTAtheist knows ALL about them--including the main one for salvation, the resurrection of Jesus Christ!

When you have some actual evidence for that resurrection get back to us.

Until you do it is just an unevidenced claim.

Pro tip: The Bible is not the evidence; the Bible is the claim.

1. You are shifting the posts--the challenge was that God was making small, insignificant miracles.

2. You are again conveniently ignoring the fact--and the Bible addresses this fact--that God conceals His miraculous power from people like... TTA members. If you WANT to experience miracles, you shall! Even non-Christian motivational speakers know and teach the same. Thumbsup

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
22-03-2016, 10:52 AM
I come to this forum because I was told you had cookies.
[+] 6 users Like jason_delisle's post
22-03-2016, 11:16 AM
(22-03-2016 09:27 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 10:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  When you have some actual evidence for that resurrection get back to us.

1. You are shifting the posts--the challenge was that God was making small, insignificant miracles.

Bullshit. RobbyPants has already pointed out (in a post that precedes yours, so you should have seen it) that his original claim was that the miracles were (supposedly) performed in a "dime-sized" area (i.e., Palestine) -- not that the miracles themselves were dime-sized.

Quote:2. You are again conveniently ignoring the fact--and the Bible addresses this fact--that God conceals His miraculous power from people like... TTA members. If you WANT to experience miracles, you shall! Even non-Christian motivational speakers know and teach the same. Thumbsup

No, the Bible explicitly states that the miracles were signs "so that you may believe" (Gospel of John, I believe). They were not intended for people who already believed. That was the whole point of them. If you already believe, who needs miracles?

Also, if you already believe, you are much more inclined to see something as miraculous that really isn't -- or even to manufacture and fabricate "miracles". The fact that only "true believers" see the miracles is a strong argument against them.
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Both the rich and the religious look down upon others with a pompous sneer of superiority.

At least the rich man has something to show of it.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
22-03-2016, 11:17 AM
(02-02-2016 07:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't know that you've made it entirely clear what your culture is. Consider
Maybe I just missed it. Are you American? Israeli? Other?

I'm American. I was raised secular (by religiously disinterested parents), but very culturally Jewish. Ashkenazi Jewish to be specific.

(02-02-2016 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's because you have an evil, dark side that is naturally attracted to the baby-eating heathen. Yes

That is more true that you may realize. Yes Having been raised secular, I have difficulty really connecting with a very religious crowd. My track record with the people I choose to associate with also clearly reflects my preference for secular companions. This is probably why I like being on this forum, in spite of the theological differences.

I have to ask. How did you become religious? Did you go to some kind of religious recruitment thing as a teen and get sucked in by the fact there were girls to meet there?
22-03-2016, 11:55 AM
(22-03-2016 09:27 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 10:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  When you have some actual evidence for that resurrection get back to us.

2. You are again conveniently ignoring the fact--and the Bible addresses this fact--that God conceals His miraculous power from people like... TTA members. If you WANT to experience miracles, you shall! Even non-Christian motivational speakers know and teach the same. Thumbsup

More special pleading. You are tedious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
22-03-2016, 01:03 PM
(22-03-2016 11:17 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 07:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm American. I was raised secular (by religiously disinterested parents), but very culturally Jewish. Ashkenazi Jewish to be specific.

That is more true that you may realize. Yes Having been raised secular, I have difficulty really connecting with a very religious crowd. My track record with the people I choose to associate with also clearly reflects my preference for secular companions. This is probably why I like being on this forum, in spite of the theological differences.

I have to ask. How did you become religious? Did you go to some kind of religious recruitment thing as a teen and get sucked in by the fact there were girls to meet there?

I was missionized to by some Christians who were… shall we say… very persistent and highly motivated. They presented their Jesus case to me and pointed me to parts of the old testament which proved their case. I was very impressed. All of the Jewish people I knew were secular and religiously uneducated, so it really resonated with me when the Christians insisted that Jews never read their own bible to see these prophecies.

I started learning about Christianity, but it felt weird, and foreign, and it just felt like a load of bullshit. I decided to find out for myself if Jesus was the Jewish messiah. I wanted Jesus to be the messiah, but I needed to understand why for 2,000 years, the Jewish community just doesn’t see it. Is it really because they’ve never read their own book? Were they really just being stubborn as the Christians were insisting?

I found myself in a black-hat Jewish community asking questions. I was encouraged to ask, I was encouraged to challenge and call bullshit, and I love calling bullshit. I fell in love with the religion, with the way they study, with their honesty and integrity about their understanding of their own text, and with the fact that Judaism isn’t a faith thing at all. It’s not about believing and worshiping G-d. It’s about living an awesome life and eking out as much pleasure in this world as you possibly can.

… and the girls were a nice perk, too.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post