Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2016, 11:30 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
I wish christians had a jewish perspective.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2016, 11:34 AM
(01-04-2016 11:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 10:44 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Just for the record... from a Jewish perspective, worshiping G-d or believing in G-d is not required at all. We think it would be nice if you believed in G-d, but it's okay if you don't. If G-d needed to be worshiped, then G-d would not be infinite. If you needed to worship G-d to avoid eternal punishment, then G-d had the means to ensure your compliance.

The main idea is to learn, grow, and live a wonderful life. Not to turn your life over to G-d and just let Jesus take the wheel.

So... is kosher and all that stuff necessary too? What *is* necessary in order to be Jewish?

All that's necessary to be Jewish is to be born to a mother who is Jewish or to convert to Judaism. We don't have the luxury of denying affiliation with Jews that we disagree with. We're stuck with Bernie Madoff and David Berkovitz. They're True Jews™ whether we like it or not.

I think it's good because it forces us to address the issues in our community instead of just pretending that the bad elements don't count.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
01-04-2016, 11:35 AM
(01-04-2016 11:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 10:44 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Just for the record... from a Jewish perspective, worshiping G-d or believing in G-d is not required at all. We think it would be nice if you believed in G-d, but it's okay if you don't. If G-d needed to be worshiped, then G-d would not be infinite. If you needed to worship G-d to avoid eternal punishment, then G-d had the means to ensure your compliance.

The main idea is to learn, grow, and live a wonderful life. Not to turn your life over to G-d and just let Jesus take the wheel.

So... is kosher and all that stuff necessary too? What *is* necessary in order to be Jewish?

It would seem that if you are not required to believe in god or worship or anything then I guess all of us atheists are secret jews? What about eating nothing but kosher? And the annoying crazy ones that refuse to use anything electronic or walk through a door that opens electronically on a sunday? Are none of those things needed? If not, why do they suddenly turn amish for a day every week?
01-04-2016, 11:49 AM
(01-04-2016 11:35 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 11:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  So... is kosher and all that stuff necessary too? What *is* necessary in order to be Jewish?

It would seem that if you are not required to believe in god or worship or anything then I guess all of us atheists are secret jews? What about eating nothing but kosher? And the annoying crazy ones that refuse to use anything electronic or walk through a door that opens electronically on a sunday? Are none of those things needed? If not, why do they suddenly turn amish for a day every week?

(Saturday, not Sunday, by the way)

No, you're not a Jew, don't worry. Big Grin (unless you are)

Hmmm... Keeping Shabbat is a Torah requirement. Every Jew is supposed to do it. But not doing this does not change your status as a Jew. You don't stop being Jewish because you eat pork or shave your facial hair off. You're just keeping the law more properly if you do all the things.
01-04-2016, 06:18 PM
(01-04-2016 11:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 11:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  So... is kosher and all that stuff necessary too? What *is* necessary in order to be Jewish?

All that's necessary to be Jewish is to be born to a mother who is Jewish or to convert to Judaism. We don't have the luxury of denying affiliation with Jews that we disagree with. We're stuck with Bernie Madoff and David Berkovitz. They're True Jews™ whether we like it or not.

I think it's good because it forces us to address the issues in our community instead of just pretending that the bad elements don't count.

But then True Jew™ loses all meaning. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2016, 06:36 PM
(01-04-2016 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 11:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  All that's necessary to be Jewish is to be born to a mother who is Jewish or to convert to Judaism. We don't have the luxury of denying affiliation with Jews that we disagree with. We're stuck with Bernie Madoff and David Berkovitz. They're True Jews™ whether we like it or not.

But then True Jew™ loses all meaning. Drinking Beverage

So it is every bit as valid as True Christian™?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-04-2016, 06:53 PM
I would imagine that a theist might like to come here so they can freely debate their ideas.

I'd be willing to bet the christian forums are less interested in listening to anything at all that is counter to their individual beliefs.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
(01-04-2016 11:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

I think if I were an atheist born to a Jewish mother, I would have a big, big problem with people insisting on defining me as part of their group or community, no matter of my own preferences, no matter what steps I had taken to find a different community to which I wanted to belong, just because of my birth mother. That comes off as very off-putting and disrespectful towards the individual.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
01-04-2016, 07:50 PM
(01-04-2016 06:36 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  But then True Jew™ loses all meaning. Drinking Beverage

So it is every bit as valid as True Christian™?

Too True. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-04-2016, 07:57 PM
(01-04-2016 07:14 PM)julep Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 11:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  All that's necessary to be Jewish is to be born to a mother who is Jewish or to convert to Judaism. We don't have the luxury of denying affiliation with Jews that we disagree with. We're stuck with Bernie Madoff and David Berkovitz. They're True Jews™ whether we like it or not.

I think if I were an atheist born to a Jewish mother, I would have a big, big problem with people insisting on defining me as part of their group or community, no matter of my own preferences, no matter what steps I had taken to find a different community to which I wanted to belong, just because of my birth mother. That comes off as very off-putting and disrespectful towards the individual.

I can understand that. I'd be annoyed if someone insisted that I was a Mormon just because they baptized me by proxy. I totally understand the annoyance.

Maybe a good way to explain it is like citizenship. You don't choose where you're born, but if you're born in America, you're American whether you like it or not. Even if you denounce your citizenship and move to China, some people are still going to view you as being American.