Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 07:38 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(03-02-2016 03:23 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You realize the give and take element here, right? Maybe not, as it didn't seem all too intentional.

Even positive stereotypes or non-harmful generalizations can be problematic if you're searching for something beyond labeling.

I think it's more about the the human desire to not have their understanding of themselves questioned. It's perhaps why Chas would deem such assumptions as inappropriate. That we should only question de-personalized things, not personalized ones. That people would prefer to keep the "self" off the table, and would rather discuss questions about the external de-personalied world.

A tendency which I think is true for most people, because our inclination is to be protective of our identify.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2016, 07:58 AM
I think it's a combination of people liking to apply labels to people (because it's a quick and easy way to conceptualize things, even if it's an over simplification) and a tendency for people to reject labels applied to them.

And I'll be honest: I do that a lot. I'll talk to some theist who claims to have unique or unusual views. The first thing I do when talking with them is start shoehorning them into categories like "Okay, you're deist who thinks that God does care about some of the goings on of humans." or "You're a pantheist who believes the universe is intelligent, and we're all somehow 'connected'.".

It's probably a side-effect of our monkey sphere. Anyone who doesn't make the cut tends to be one-dimensional caricatures of people. This tends to involve labels and noteworthy exceptions. The trick is to realize when you're doing it and to not freak out when someone else does.
04-02-2016, 08:05 AM
(04-02-2016 07:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 04:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  Who here has assumed anything about you?

Pretty make every atheists here who attempted to make assumptions about why I believe and etc...

Quote:You utterly missed the point. You make assumptions about people's character. That is the difference.

I'm not too sure what you mean here. Have I made assumptions about your characters?

My interactions with TbD should be excluded since our relationship is a unique beast of it's own. But other in regards to TbD, I'm not sure what assumptions your referring to.

Are you drunk ?
Care to re-post that in the English language ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-02-2016, 09:27 AM
India foxtrot Yankee Oscar uniform Charlie alpha November romeo echo alpha delta tango hotel India Sierra, Lima India kilo echo tango hotel India Sierra Papa Oscar Sierra tango tango oscar Sierra uniform Papa Papa Oscar romeo tango tango hotel echo tango romeo Oscar Oscar Papa Sierra.
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
04-02-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm here to drink. Oh, wait...

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2016, 09:34 AM
(04-02-2016 09:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  India foxtrot Yankee Oscar uniform Charlie alpha November romeo echo alpha delta tango hotel India Sierra, Lima India kilo echo tango hotel India Sierra Papa Oscar Sierra tango tango oscar Sierra uniform Papa Papa Oscar romeo tango tango hotel echo tango romeo Oscar Oscar Papa Sierra.
November alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha
Tango hotel echo yankee alpha romeo echo november oscar tango mike yankee tango romeo Oscar Oscar Papa Sierra.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
04-02-2016, 09:36 AM
(04-02-2016 09:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  India foxtrot Yankee Oscar uniform Charlie alpha November romeo echo alpha delta tango hotel India Sierra, Lima India kilo echo tango hotel India Sierra Papa Oscar Sierra tango tango oscar Sierra uniform Papa Papa Oscar romeo tango tango hotel echo tango romeo Oscar Oscar Papa Sierra.

..-. ..- -.-. -.- - .... .- - ... .... .. -

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
04-02-2016, 09:37 AM
(04-02-2016 09:34 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
November alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha
Tango hotel echo yankee alpha romeo echo november oscar tango mike yankee tango romeo Oscar Oscar Papa Sierra.
Whisky echo lima lima...Oscar kilo.
04-02-2016, 09:43 AM
(04-02-2016 09:37 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 09:34 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  November alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha
Whisky echo lima lima...Oscar kilo.

Well until the US invade Denmark of course then I'll welcome my new overlords.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
04-02-2016, 11:05 AM
(03-02-2016 01:57 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 11:44 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I don't want to push the issue any further if that is all you have. But, for me, that's still an unsatisfactory answer. Since October of 2014, time-wise, you have spent over one month on this forum. That's a hell of a lot of time to be on an atheist forum if your only motivation is "self acknowledge".

That's true, I am a fairly active member here, probably not as much as the active atheists in this group, but probably more active than other theists here. But I'm not just active here, I'm currently in over 20 different Facebook groups as well. If there is a common thread between the ones I’m most active in is that all these groups having something to do with religion, christian groups, muslims groups, hindu groups, etc...

But to say something of myself, I tend to like the topic of religion, more so than perhaps any other topic. I guess if I like sports as much, of physics as much, I'd be a part of a sports forum, or physics forum. There's very few topics I feel as comfortable with, very few intersections, I'm interested in understanding better than one's involving religion. But it's also the state of the internet demographics, that this space is almost exclusively occupied by christians and atheists. So that's a good part of the reason.

Another reason is if you see me participating here at any given moment, it's likely because I'm working. I often have a lot of down time, and this has always been a good way to make the day go by faster. But like I said it's not the only place I participate in.

But like I said my active participation here, has a lot to do with the fact that I enjoy it, and I tend to for the most part like the people here. There are some folks like the TBD who I don't particularly enjoy arguing with, and I imagine if this place was filled with his type, I would have been gone a long time ago. I enjoy most of the conversations, the sort of different personalities, some of the topics being discussed, the tension, the sort of difficulties that come with online interactions. Also the fact the people here often seem to part of a demographic quite alien to me, is something that’s going to illicit my curiosity. And I don't think much can be gleamed from me as to why other theists participate here, I have my own quirks and odd curiosities that draws me here.

To some degree I'm as curious about a man's atheism, as I am about someone's Judaism, or the life and sensibilities of Japanese people, or folks from Denmark. I watch foreign movies, read books by authors outsides of the US, read random blogs, try and take in as many different perspective of others as I can.

It's not just religion, though religious topics are the one's I'm most active about, I'm member of buddhist forum, a psych forum, Storm Front, the British Defense League, a Divorced Men's Forum (though I'm happily married) etc...... I like observing the tides of modern life, in ways that others might see as almost obsessive. I think if you understand these tendencies, it's probably easier to see why I find myself here.

I think one part that make it make it difficult for other to empathize with this, is that I imagine most people here, and as well others who actively participate in a group they identify with, is that they tend to be isolated in way that places like this provide a sort of stand in community. So it’s easy to see how some of the relationships here, is that of friends. People do share a great deal with each other, provide emotional support, etc.. like real communities do. I don’t share in this nor seek it for myself. So in this way I’ll always be an “other”, a visitor whose over stayed his welcome. The strange man doing a long survey, the outsider, whose motives are never really understood.

Thank you for your candor Tomasia. This answer falls outside of the presupposed ideas I had about why a theist would take the time to frequent an atheist forum. It sounds like your theism has a small part to do with it. You're more interested in discovering a broad array of ideas via the internet.

Does what you hear from this forum, the arguments that are presented, sway you at all in your belief in God? That's the kicker for me. From my perspective, there is so much evidence against the existence of God, particularly the Abrahamic God of the three major monotheistic religions, (all the books read like fairy tales!) that nothing would sway me in the other direction. The only thing that gives me pause is the fear instilled in me from years of indoctrination. Like I've said many times, if our choice were strictly based on the evidence, many people would have stopped believing long ago. We live in a time where almost everything can be explained by science. There are no longer gaps for God to fill. Instead, it's the threat of damnation and/or the promises of comfort here on earth and a blissful afterlife that keeps people believing.

That's why you see so many theists on their way to atheism, take a brief look at deism before they say, "Fuck it all. If there is a God and he has no impact on my life or 'afterlife' (and I'm being true to myself) then I have to consider myself an atheist".

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post