Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2016, 02:16 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(04-04-2016 09:14 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 08:11 AM)Leo Wrote:  But what would happen if the Q wants to convert to Judaism ? I hope for Judaism sake that will never happen.Blink

I hope for his sake that he does. We can teach him science and critical thinking skills.
Out of curiosity what's the science behind a man with a stick parting an entire sea?Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
04-04-2016, 02:59 PM
(04-04-2016 02:16 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 09:14 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I hope for his sake that he does. We can teach him science and critical thinking skills.
Out of curiosity what's the science behind a man with a stick parting an entire sea?Drinking Beverage

I don't know, but there may be truth to it. Of course it is a huge stretch and I am 99.9% sure it didn't happen. Although, I have to admit the possibility. If time travel was possible and I am reasonably certain that some day we will figure it out. If say, someone with nanotechnology or even very strong submersible pumps traveled to that time period they could be considered gods. Imagine I accidently get transported to a time before gas powered engines and let's say my Saturn goes with me. Depending on the time period and weather or not I know how to make fuel, I could be a god or maybe the most notorious bank robber ever. Or, it could be someone goes back with an attack helicopter. My point is that with that level of tech around primitives, we might as well be gods. In our time period people donate massive amounts of money in order to have a building named after them. What if the future uber rich people pay to have an entire religion in their name? You never know. With the pumps we have now, we could make it look like an entire body of water turned into blood or something close. And without microscopes, who would know?
04-04-2016, 04:28 PM
(04-04-2016 09:14 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I hope for his sake that he does. We can teach him science and critical thinking skills.

Well-timed tidal bore?

#sigh
04-04-2016, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 07:44 AM by Aliza.)

I don't know. Tides? It's not the red sea, it's the reed sea, by the way. Or the "sea of weeds." Whether it was the Red sea or the sea of reeds, I don't have an answer. I don't typically try to prove the stories in the Bible. It's just not a big focus of my studies.

The science I was referring to was more that the Jews are much more open minded about science education than our Christian and Islamic counterparts. Not that Christians and Muslims haven't been at the forefront of science, medicine, and technology as well, but the track record with Jews seems to show that as a whole, our culture is very open to science and accepting of scientific facts about our world. A Google search on Jewish scientists, inventions and technology will reveal an impressive track record, especially given that we only make up 0.2% of the world population.

The following quote from Richard Dawkins sums it up:

Addressing the controversy surrounding a Tweet he wrote during the conferment of Nobel prizes earlier this month, Dawkins offered up something of a mea culpa, stating: “That was unfortunate. I should have compared religion with religion and compared Islam not with Trinity College but with Jews, because the number of Jews who have won Nobel Prizes is phenomenally high.”

Continuing, he said: “Race does not come into it. It is pure religion and culture. Something about the cultural tradition of Jews is way, way more sympathetic to science and learning and intellectual pursuits than Islam.
04-04-2016, 08:31 PM
(04-04-2016 08:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The science I was referring to was more that the Jews are much more open minded about science education than our Christian and Islamic counterparts. Not that Christians and Muslims haven't been at the forefront of science, medicine, and technology as well, but the track record with Jews seems to show that as a whole, our culture is very open to science and accepting of facts are they are learned about our world.
That's why my father said that if you have a choice, choose the Jewish doctor. One saved his leg when he was in the Army, and he firmly believed that Jewish doctors strived harder in medicine.

Might be true, but he was from the Bronx, so it's not like he couldn't find a Jewish doctor.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
04-04-2016, 09:56 PM
(04-04-2016 08:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 02:16 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Out of curiosity what's the science behind a man with a stick parting an entire sea?Drinking Beverage

I don't know. Tides? It's not the red sea, it's the reed sea, by the way. Or the "sea of weeds." Whether it was the Red sea or the sea of reeds, I don't have an answer. I don't typically try to prove the stories in the Bible. It's just not a big focus of my studies.

The science I was referring to was more that the Jews are much more open minded about science education than our Christian and Islamic counterparts. Not that Christians and Muslims haven't been at the forefront of science, medicine, and technology as well, but the track record with Jews seems to show that as a whole, our culture is very open to science and accepting of facts are they are learned about our world. A Google search on Jewish scientists, inventions and technology will reveal an impressive track record, especially given that we only make up 0.2% of the world population.

The following quote from Richard Dawkins sums it up:

Addressing the controversy surrounding a Tweet he wrote during the conferment of Nobel prizes earlier this month, Dawkins offered up something of a mea culpa, stating: “That was unfortunate. I should have compared religion with religion and compared Islam not with Trinity College but with Jews, because the number of Jews who have won Nobel Prizes is phenomenally high.”

Continuing, he said: “Race does not come into it. It is pure religion and culture. Something about the cultural tradition of Jews is way, way more sympathetic to science and learning and intellectual pursuits than Islam.

I'm actually going to apologize as I was being unnecessarily cagey and didn't enunciate my point well. Who would have thought given how verbose I am I'd have to apologize for being to brief lol strange times.

The point I was trying to make was not that there are not scientifically literate Jews, obviously their are, with both a great quantity and a great quality as well. Rather that just like scientifically literate Christians and Muslims they fail to apply their skepticism and the scientific method to their particular branch of superstitions.

Also the answer to the question is that there is no science to it, as it's a fictional event featuring fictional characters. I don't mean that in a dismissive or condescending way: that's the actual position of even most Hebrew scholars.

He would be better off just untethering himself from the anchor of religion all together rather than switching them out one for the other.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
04-04-2016, 10:15 PM

<cough> Bullshit science <cough>
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
05-04-2016, 04:04 AM
(04-04-2016 07:49 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  From what I understand, Africa as a whole is a crappy place to live. Just like most of Mexico. Poor areas make up the majority, but it does have resort areas like Cancun. Otherwise, it would be americans sneaking into mexico to get jobs, not the other way around.Drinking Beverage

You are in fact, incorrect. In Africa it goes by country. Southern Africa - Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, South Africa, Mozambique, Tanzania - those places are pretty fucken awesome. Good rule of law and extremely nice climate and people. Kenya's not bad I understand. Nigeria too. It's hard to make a living in a lot of places which is why many people leave, but there is a good life to be had. Zimbabwe's tough, but even Zim is OK, only problem is that living there is expensive and there's no jobs. And the politics is fucked up.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-04-2016, 01:18 PM
(01-04-2016 10:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 10:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Again, before I watch the videos, I want to emphasize that Messianics witness their faith to Jews and Gentiles. The Orthodox Messianic rabbis are astoundingly insightful teachers and preachers, especially when compared with the goyim, you know what I mean? But I'm yet to find rules in the NT that say Messianic congregations must retain all the elements of Orthodox ones--God has a big tent and Reform Jews who come to Messianic services don't need to do what Orthodox to be approved in God's eyes, even if they must do so to be approved in yours!

Having been to synagogues and Roman "churches" and Messianic and evangelical congregations, I'd say if a little dancing and music bothers you, you would understand why shul is boring to many people and evangelical good times enlightening!

If you're saying I need to watch the videos to somehow understand that Messianic groups led by former Orthodox Jews are not running Orthodox services for the Jews and Gentiles they lead--then what is it in the videos that will be new to me?

For the sake of argument, let's just say a god does exist. Not everyone can be correct. It might be Thor, you never know. You may be pissing god off by going to the wrong church or whatever. It may be the muslim god allah. I don't see any reason to believe any of them exist, but all the holy books disagree about so many things. They can't all be correct and that is assuming that one of them is. So to say that you don't have to worship exactly the way the supposedly correct ones do it in order to be accepted by "god" is incorrect at the very least.

Good point. Most holy books agree on a wide variety of things. Most important for this discussion? That we save ourselves via our works/religion. Christianity is unique in making salvation a gift you cannot earn, only receive.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2016, 01:19 PM
(01-04-2016 10:44 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 10:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  For the sake of argument, let's just say a god does exist. Not everyone can be correct. It might be Thor, you never know. You may be pissing god off by going to the wrong church or whatever. It may be the muslim god allah. I don't see any reason to believe any of them exist, but all the holy books disagree about so many things. They can't all be correct and that is assuming that one of them is. So to say that you don't have to worship exactly the way the supposedly correct ones do it in order to be accepted by "god" is incorrect at the very least.

Just for the record... from a Jewish perspective, worshiping G-d or believing in G-d is not required at all. We think it would be nice if you believed in G-d, but it's okay if you don't. If G-d needed to be worshiped, then G-d would not be infinite. If you needed to worship G-d to avoid eternal punishment, then G-d had the means to ensure your compliance.

The main idea is to learn, grow, and live a wonderful life. Not to turn your life over to G-d and just let Jesus take the wheel.

There are thousands of verses in both testaments about learning, growing and living wonderfully. Regarding salvation, however, yes, Christianity says it is a gift we receive rather than a reward we earn.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user