Why do theists need God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Why do theists need God?
Seems like a character defect to me.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-03-2015, 05:31 PM
RE: Why do theists need God?
(20-03-2015 05:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Seems like a character defect to me.

Or a cognitive defect. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
20-03-2015, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2015 06:08 AM by TheBear.)
20-03-2015, 05:53 PM
(20-03-2015 05:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Or a cognitive defect. Consider

Cognitive defects are like the woman with a 60 IQ that lives with my mom who she takes care of. Character defects are far more insidious.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
20-03-2015, 05:58 PM
(20-03-2015 05:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 05:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Or a cognitive defect. Consider

Cognitive defects are like the woman with a 60 IQ that lives with my mom who she takes care of. Character defects are far more insidious.

[Image: Crybaby.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
21-03-2015, 02:28 AM

The God idea, with its heavenly afterlife, means there is something to look forward to, a fantastic step up from the injustices, work, worries and ordinariness of life on earth. Faith in God is like a lottery ticket; it buys people the belief that one day things might get better because they have struggled damned hard and deserve a lucky break. Yet there is not the slightest bit of evidence that God or heaven exists. They are just ideas invented by businessmen to exploit the public.

The truth matters. Faith, which ignores reason, is a travesty against our intellects. It is anxiety about the unknown masquerading as certainty. To admit that there is no god is to face up to the facts. We do not have answers to all of life’s questions. As the decades go by, we, the human family, will know more; not because we have faith, but because our scientists have discovered more truths.
[+] 6 users Like Mark Fulton's post
21-03-2015, 02:56 AM
Because the human is afraid of the dark.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
21-03-2015, 04:28 AM
Humans need a god because, as kim said, we are "afraid of the dark!" I am! dying scares the shit out of me! As I get older, I look at that life watch! And it scares me! I don't think I'll ever be "ready" for death. We need gods because dying really fucking sucks, and we dread it! But this fearful, horrible thing is going to happen! And I would rather those who temporarily survive me, have the benefit of science, rather than the comfort of lies.
[+] 3 users Like Ameron1963's post
21-03-2015, 04:47 AM
And then they wrote a book, Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
[+] 2 users Like H4ym4n's post
21-03-2015, 05:03 AM
(21-03-2015 04:28 AM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Humans need a god because, as kim said, we are "afraid of the dark!" I am! dying scares the shit out of me! As I get older, I look at that life watch! And it scares me! I don't think I'll ever be "ready" for death. We need gods because dying really fucking sucks, and we dread it!
The concept of being dead doesn't bother me in the least. It's only the question of if I will suffer in the process that concerns me.
(21-03-2015 04:28 AM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  But this fearful, horrible thing is going to happen! And I would rather those who temporarily survive me, have the benefit of science, rather than the comfort of lies.
Me too.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 3 users Like NoSkyDaddy's post