Why do theists need God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: Why do theists need God?
(21-03-2015 07:23 AM)Anjele Wrote:  That, and belief in god takes away the fear of their own mortality. A misguided belief that they will never die...in a spiritual sense anyway along with the notion that a loved one is never really gone but waiting elsewhere for them.

I think that's the strongest drive. It's the main (maybe the only) thing I really "miss" from when I was a believer. Growing up as an atheist is very different from becoming one later in life, because your mindset completely changes, everything you thought to be true crumbles like a house of cards. Realising that the odds are against you is hard, and while my transition was smooth enough (considering what I've seen from others), that's the hardest thing I have had to cope with.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
21-03-2015, 07:49 AM
(21-03-2015 07:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 07:31 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  End of the world is empty thing only if you have blind faith that universe will exist for very long time

You really need to get some anti-depressant medication. Drinking Beverage
You have scientific proof that Universe won't end tomorrow? Where's your skepticism?
21-03-2015, 07:52 AM
(21-03-2015 02:28 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The God idea, with its heavenly afterlife, means there is something to look forward to, a fantastic step up from the injustices, work, worries and ordinariness of life on earth. Faith in God is like a lottery ticket; it buys people the belief that one day things might get better because they have struggled damned hard and deserve a lucky break. Yet there is not the slightest bit of evidence that God or heaven exists. They are just ideas invented by businessmen to exploit the public.

The truth matters. Faith, which ignores reason, is a travesty against our intellects. It is anxiety about the unknown masquerading as certainty. To admit that there is no god is to face up to the facts. We do not have answers to all of life’s questions. As the decades go by, we, the human family, will know more; not because we have faith, but because our scientists have discovered more truths.

Mark said it better than I could have done.

I guess I'd say some people need god because they are terrified to face the reality of their own mortality. Belief in god means you can pretend that you won't really die. You also get to pretend that everybody you don't like will be tortured in a lake of fire for all eternity (by a god of love Shocking Confused ).

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
21-03-2015, 07:52 AM
(21-03-2015 07:41 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 07:23 AM)Anjele Wrote:  That, and belief in god takes away the fear of their own mortality. A misguided belief that they will never die...in a spiritual sense anyway along with the notion that a loved one is never really gone but waiting elsewhere for them.

I think that's the strongest drive. It's the main (maybe the only) thing I really "miss" from when I was a believer. Growing up as an atheist is very different from becoming one later in life, because your mindset completely changes, everything you thought to be true crumbles like a house of cards. Realising that the odds are against you is hard, and while my transition was smooth enough (considering what I've seen from others), that's the hardest thing I have had to cope with.

It took me a while to stop thinking that my paternal grandmother was watching over my kids and me. It also took a while to accept the fact that my first husband was gone forever and to stop 'talking' to him. I do think this is the last bit of theism that I was able to release. Somehow, it was comforting to believe they 'lived on'. But it's all an illusion.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-03-2015, 07:54 AM
(21-03-2015 07:49 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 07:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  You really need to get some anti-depressant medication. Drinking Beverage
You have scientific proof that Universe won't end tomorrow? Where's your skepticism?

Please, find a new something to say. This is tiring, boring, and spammy. Go away and take diddles with you. You can miserable each other into the fetal position. That is, if you aren't already the same person.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-03-2015, 07:55 AM
(20-03-2015 05:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Seems like a character defect to me.

That is one reason for sure. Life is too scary without a big daddy to hold your hand.

I think the main reason is that it is so socially unacceptable to be an atheist. I think that the majority don't really believe, they just go through the motions. When I think back to when I was trying to be a theist, I never really believed but I saw that everyone around me believed so I pretended I did. I just don't think that the majority of people are that irrational.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
21-03-2015, 07:58 AM
(21-03-2015 07:55 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 05:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Seems like a character defect to me.

That is one reason for sure. Life is too scary without a big daddy to hold your hand.

I think the main reason is that it is so socially unacceptable to be an atheist. I think that the majority don't really believe, they just go through the motions. When I think back to when I was trying to be a theist, I never really believed but I saw that everyone around me believed so I pretended I did. I just don't think that the majority of people are that irrational.

This too. It's the 'we've always done it this way' method.

21-03-2015, 08:00 AM
(21-03-2015 07:31 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  You do have a penchant for saying the same empty thing over and over. Dodgy
End of the world is empty thing only if you have blind faith that universe will exist for very long time

It has existed for quite a long time so far, if measurable evidence matters, and we have no evidence that it will end any time soon. Thank you for playing.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
21-03-2015, 08:08 AM
(21-03-2015 08:00 AM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 07:31 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  End of the world is empty thing only if you have blind faith that universe will exist for very long time

It has existed for quite a long time so far, if measurable evidence matters, and we have no evidence that it will end any time soon. Thank you for playing.
we also have no evidence of opposite. If you think that universe will exist for billions of years you are not different from any believer
21-03-2015, 08:12 AM
(21-03-2015 06:42 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  God keeps universe going without him universe could end at any moment.
Also good explanation for children why you brought them into this scary horrible world

I knew it. See you made my point. It's a big scary world and you just can't face it without your imaginary protector/parent in the sky.

I'm teaching my children that its a big wonderful world full of potential and that they need to go out and make the most of their lives and create a happy life for themselves. In other words I'm teaching my children to live and grow, not suffer and sacrifice.

We can all imagine that there is an all powerful being keeping the universe in order and making sure our math equations work and that the universe would end tomorrow without it, but some of us recognize a fundamental difference between the imaginary and reality. That's why you theist come here and come to our houses and stop us on the street, because you want us to blur the line between imagination and reality too. I think you just can't stand the sight of someone who has not abdicated their minds like you have. It's an affront to you and really gets under your finger nails.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post