Why do theists think prayer is banned in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
As in "if a child prays, the school shall come forth with a rod of 'something' and shock them for thinking 'god'"? I was just invited by one of my friends on facebook to a cause* for letting prayer be allowed in schools... ok it doesn't say that the school will beat the child if they pray, but it's the general feeling I get whenever I hear someone say something about it.

I looked it up, and the cause said (copied from the site): "to show that american people want there rights back to pray and speack out freely about what there faith is" (http://www.causes.com/causes/786688-put-...-schools).

How is it that they have no idea they can do that now (at least if I'm taking the point the way I think they mean it)? They can't have the school sponsor it ("organized"), shouldn't have it at school sponsored events (it happens though), but the people can (at least silently) individually. It's not like we have thought-monitoring hardware attached so "god" thoughts get an electronic shock. Granted schools may ask a child to pray silently if they do it aloud, but still, that's a disruption type of thing more than anything.

Oh the * above: I don't mention on facebook any atheist based things, and I have "god" as a like--which is true as far as "liking" to see what the people say there.... some really interesting things pop up every so often.... So it's not like they'd know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
RE: Why do theists think prayer is banned in schools?
They don't want the right to pray, they want the school to be openly Christian and force others to pray to the Christian God ala 1950s.

Prayer of any kind isn't banned. It's just that employees and/or the school can invoke religious beliefs upon any student. A student is free to believe and pray as they wish.

Tell your friend that he's ignorant and needs to be educated or else he would shun this cause as it is a slap in the face to American freedom. Tell him that a fellow Christian said that no public school has the right to endorse any type of religious ritual or any type of religious affiliation upon students.

This is basic 1st Amendment stuff. I can't believe people are still stewing over things like this.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 8 users Like kingschosen's post
10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
(10-09-2012 02:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  They don't want the right to pray, they want the school to be openly Christian and force others to pray to the Christian God ala 1950s.

Prayer of any kind isn't banned. It's just that employees and/or the school can invoke religious beliefs upon any student. A student is free to believe and pray as they wish.

Tell your friend that he's ignorant and needs to be educated or else he would shun this cause as it is a slap in the face to American freedom. Tell him that a fellow Christian said that no public school has the right to endorse any type of religious ritual or any type of religious affiliation upon students.

This is basic 1st Amendment stuff. I can't believe people are still stewing over things like this.

Ahh, so it's kind of a scam in the sense that it's not really prayer as much as "bible readings and prayer" in schools then?
10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Ask them which prayers from the Qur'an they had in mind for the prayers. Drinking Beverage

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-09-2012, 05:26 PM
(10-09-2012 03:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ask them which prayers from the Qur'an they had in mind for the prayers. Drinking Beverage

I was actually thinking of say/asking "Great! It's about time we start worshipping Zeus just the way he.... no.... Allah! He demands it!... no.... Imhotep! We shall now give Imhotep the proper respect and worship he needs through school prayer, he came in peace afterall!"

But yeah, I think my friend (specifically) kind of assumes that the school prayer would be the one to Jesus in the way her church does, and they'd use the bible (I don't know which she uses--but people get in arguing matches over which one is "right" [ex: king james vs NIV]). Prayer and holy books in school would be all fine and dandy to many.... as long as it was their religion and holy book preference... and they seem to forget that it just might not be.

Oh and thanks for the replies Smile
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
10-09-2012, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 05:46 PM by Janus.)
(10-09-2012 03:11 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 02:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  They don't want the right to pray, they want the school to be openly Christian and force others to pray to the Christian God ala 1950s.

Ahh, so it's kind of a scam in the sense that it's not really prayer as much as "bible readings and prayer" in schools then?

Religion, from A to Z, is a scam, elemts. And to fundamentalists everything is allowed to achieve their goal of 'the kingdom of God on Earth'. Including lying, cheating, physical discipline, bodily mutilation, murder and genocide.
So this is just a minor fib in that line-up. But it is typical! Misrepresentation and distraction. Actually a false flag operation. With them in the role of the poor, righteous scapegoats. Hapless victims of evil persecution. Playing the victim card (as the Jews do so successfully). Actually it's kinda modeled after the Mayflower fairy tale. The archetype of hypocrisy, and the hallmark of sneakiness and sleaze. A.k.a. religion.
It's circular.

KC and BB, above, made very valid points.
10-09-2012, 05:55 PM
(10-09-2012 02:49 PM)elemts Wrote:  I don't mention on facebook any atheist based things, and I have "god" as a like--which is true as far as "liking" to see what the people say there.... some really interesting things pop up every so often.... So it's not like they'd know.

So you lead a double life!
Do you like it?
10-09-2012, 06:50 PM
(10-09-2012 05:55 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 02:49 PM)elemts Wrote:  I don't mention on facebook any atheist based things, and I have "god" as a like--which is true as far as "liking" to see what the people say there.... some really interesting things pop up every so often.... So it's not like they'd know.

So you lead a double life!
Do you like it?

Not really a double life--just watching and learning about "the other side" so to speak. Although I've come to find that my friends post way more to give me an understanding of some people, and the other one just annoys me. Come to think of it though.... I don't think I've seen the religious things on facebook (from the specific groups) for a long while.... I might not be on them anymore.
10-09-2012, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 11:03 PM by Dark Light.)
Believe it or not there are (at least as of about a decade ago) school sponsored Christian "extra-circular" activities in America. At the high-school I attended (In Tennessee) there was the "Fellowship of Christian Athletes". They would get time out of class to go be preached to, pray together, and have christian rock bands perform for them. If you weren't in the "club" you had to go to a study-hall type setting and do problems while the vast majority of the school went of to have Jesus fun. I tried to get a "Free Thinkers Club" started to even things out but I was just singled out by the school staff for my attempts. I also had my locker searched, was banned from wearing a hoodie because according to them there was complaints that it made me look like the uni-bomber, and much more. After the president of the 'Jesus Club' told me he was praying for me multiple times (and lots of other BS) I got fed up and intentionally offended him, something I usually go out of my way to avoid. I'm not really proud of it, but after being singled out so often I just got sick of it and told him "God can suck my dick!" He never spoke to me again.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
10-09-2012, 10:27 PM

Because they're fucking stupid.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post