Why do theists think prayer is banned in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2012, 11:23 PM
RE: Why do theists think prayer is banned in schools?
(10-09-2012 10:27 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Why do theists think prayer is banned in schools?

Because they're fucking stupid.

What the fuck are they teaching you kids in school these days?

Theists think prayer is banned in schools because in 1962 the US Supreme Court banned public schools from holding public prayer and Bible readings to start each day and to start functions. Prior to that, most schools began the day with the teacher leading the class in prayer to the Christian God. Even by 1971, when I was in the first grade, my teacher would have us start each day singing a Christian song like "He's Got the Whole World, In His Hands."

Does private prayer still happen in school? Of course. What good theist and occasional atheist hasn't prayed for help on just about every test?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
(10-09-2012 11:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 10:27 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Why do theists think prayer is banned in schools?

Because they're fucking stupid.

What the fuck are they teaching you kids in school these days?

Theists think prayer is banned in schools because in 1962 the US Supreme Court banned public schools from holding public prayer and Bible readings to start each day and to start functions. Prior to that, most schools began the day with the teacher leading the class in prayer to the Christian God. Even by 1971, when I was in the first grade, my teacher would have us start each day singing a Christian song like "He's Got the Whole World, In His Hands."

Does private prayer still happen in school? Of course. What good theist and occasional atheist hasn't prayed for help on just about every test?

It has been said "As long as there are Algebra tests, there will be prayer in schools".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
11-09-2012, 02:50 PM
(10-09-2012 02:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  They don't want the right to pray, they want the school to be openly Christian and force others to pray to the Christian God ala 1950s.

Prayer of any kind isn't banned. It's just that employees and/or the school can invoke religious beliefs upon any student. A student is free to believe and pray as they wish.

Tell your friend that he's ignorant and needs to be educated or else he would shun this cause as it is a slap in the face to American freedom. Tell him that a fellow Christian said that no public school has the right to endorse any type of religious ritual or any type of religious affiliation upon students.

This is basic 1st Amendment stuff. I can't believe people are still stewing over things like this.

Are you familiar with one of my heroines, Jessica Ahlquist?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
(11-09-2012 02:50 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 02:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  They don't want the right to pray, they want the school to be openly Christian and force others to pray to the Christian God ala 1950s.

Prayer of any kind isn't banned. It's just that employees and/or the school can invoke religious beliefs upon any student. A student is free to believe and pray as they wish.

Tell your friend that he's ignorant and needs to be educated or else he would shun this cause as it is a slap in the face to American freedom. Tell him that a fellow Christian said that no public school has the right to endorse any type of religious ritual or any type of religious affiliation upon students.

This is basic 1st Amendment stuff. I can't believe people are still stewing over things like this.

Are you familiar with one of my heroines, Jessica Ahlquist?

I am.

And, she is correct. The ruling in favor of her was correct.

It is a public high school. It should be void of any religion unless there is a religion class where religions are specifically taught.

Again... don't know why this is so hard for people to accept. Not everyone is Christian; therefore, no one should be forced to abide by Christian rituals or be represented by any type of Christian ideology.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
(11-09-2012 03:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 02:50 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Are you familiar with one of my heroines, Jessica Ahlquist?

I am.

And, she is correct. The ruling in favor of her was correct.

It is a public high school. It should be void of any religion unless there is a religion class where religions are specifically taught.

Again... don't know why this is so hard for people to accept. Not everyone is Christian; therefore, no one should be forced to abide by Christian rituals or be represented by any type of Christian ideology.

Well the idea is keeping staff and the curriculum religion free, keeps the staff from favoritism for a certain belief.

Christians however love the slippery slope. They think if you keep staff from praying you are taking their beloved jesus away. They don't understand the harm favoritism has on children.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
11-09-2012, 04:32 PM
(11-09-2012 04:27 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Christians however love the slippery slope. They think if you keep staff from praying you are taking their beloved jesus away. They don't understand the harm favoritism has on children.

Christians see the "secularization" of society as wiping out their values, not as fostering fairness and tolerance. (Hell, if you ask them about "tolerance", they'll say it is a tool of satan to debase a society's morals.)
11-09-2012, 07:32 PM
(10-09-2012 10:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Believe it or not there are (at least as of about a decade ago) school sponsored Christian "extra-circular" activities in America. At the high-school I attended (In Tennessee) there was the "Fellowship of Christian Athletes".

They have one of these at my school. I kind of chuckle at it because they bribe people with doughnuts and juice to come every Wednesday morning.

At my school, everyone just assumes you're a Christian. I've heard it come up in all of my classes every day. It doesn't really make much difference to me, though. Last year a group of atheists in Ohio sued our school for holding public prayer before football games. There was a huge uproar about it and a lot of people were upset. We even wrote about it in English class.

I don't know why theists think that prayer is banned; its not. I guess they're not satisfied with it being private because they think that everyone thinks the same way they do (At least, that's how it is at my school).

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
18-09-2012, 02:10 AM
(10-09-2012 02:49 PM)elemts Wrote:  As in "if a child prays, the school shall come forth with a rod of 'something' and shock them for thinking 'god'"? I was just invited by one of my friends on facebook to a cause* for letting prayer be allowed in schools... ok it doesn't say that the school will beat the child if they pray, but it's the general feeling I get whenever I hear someone say something about it.

I looked it up, and the cause said (copied from the site): "to show that american people want there rights back to pray and speack out freely about what there faith is" (http://www.causes.com/causes/786688-put-...-schools).

How is it that they have no idea they can do that now (at least if I'm taking the point the way I think they mean it)? They can't have the school sponsor it ("organized"), shouldn't have it at school sponsored events (it happens though), but the people can (at least silently) individually. It's not like we have thought-monitoring hardware attached so "god" thoughts get an electronic shock. Granted schools may ask a child to pray silently if they do it aloud, but still, that's a disruption type of thing more than anything.

Oh the * above: I don't mention on facebook any atheist based things, and I have "god" as a like--which is true as far as "liking" to see what the people say there.... some really interesting things pop up every so often.... So it's not like they'd know.

If they don't pray in groups, they realize they look pretty stupid. They must support each other and pat each other on the back. That is why they want everyone to have to do it in school.
18-09-2012, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 01:06 PM by depat.)
Wow! I have just spent 4 years in a public school district in the south, one of the largest school districts in the country. I have not seen any religion as represented as Christianity in this district. Staff rooms are full of people having Christian centered conversations about their beliefs and often practice individual prayer in the common break / lunch room. There is nothing actually wrong with this, but the total exclusion of "other's" beliefs is extremely offensive. In this district, schools give a silent minute for students every morning if they want to pray.
Many teachers breach the separation of church and state in their classroom to further their Christian agenda. They often add or twist information to suggest creation, read books to very young children that support the idea of a creator, and I have seen teachers lay their hands on students heads (one hand on top of the head and one cupping the chin), sometimes shaking them from head to toe to give then a blessing upon entering class and often laying hands on them while in class. Talk about boundary issues. Christians believe they have a clear right to this behavior. This pisses me off! And while it is illegal, it has unspoken support from Administration. From where I stand, our bible belt schools are saturated with religion, especially Christianity.

If children want to, they can talk/pray about their beliefs between bells; in the lunch room; outside, and /discuss pray all they want in after school clubs.

The centric worldview of Christianity is very, very scary, as they are liscensed by their god to breach the boundaries of little children, seducing their innocent minds.
18-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I honestly believe that if parents and teachers were forbidden from teaching children religion until the age of 14, religion in the US would dwindle to almost nothing in the course of two generations. Perhaps sooner. You can debate the ethics of forbidding the religious indoctrination of children, but you cannot deny its likely efficacy.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.