Why do they keep doing it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Why do they keep doing it?
I don't know about anyone else but I wondering why do Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses keep going door to door? They must've realized by now that people think it's creepy right? Why don't they stop? People either pretend they're not home or lie. Yet they keep going I don't understand. Hell there have been so many memes about them it's almost a cultural trope.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2013, 04:36 PM
RE: Why do they keep doing it?
(07-08-2013 04:20 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I don't know about anyone else but I wondering why do Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses keep going door to door? They must've realized by now that people think it's creepy right? Why don't they stop? People either pretend they're not home or lie. Yet they keep going I don't understand. Hell there have been so many memes about them it's almost a cultural trope.

I know a handful of Mormons. They aren't bothered any more than a Christian would be bothered by the fact that some people see a religion based on human sacrifice for the atonement of sins as creepy. For the devout, the church is the center of their world. Going door to door is probably not enjoyable, but it's their appointed task. If you truly believe, you're gonna do your job whether people are annoyed or not.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2013, 04:41 PM
I think they claim the higher purpose because their religions both dictate that they go and "witness" to others. It's a pompous act rather than a gracious one.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I guess I feel like the best way to drive someone away is to nag them. like the skinny parent after their kid to exercise.
07-08-2013, 05:26 PM
(07-08-2013 04:42 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I guess I feel like the best way to drive someone away is to nag them. like the skinny parent after their kid to exercise.

I totally agree. Some in my area knock on doors with the guise to 'invite' people to a convention or family picnics....using tag lines about how horrible the world is. They're not knocking on doors to entice atheists or agnostics...they do it to meet non-church attending Christian types. Dangling the carrot of wholesome fun in a confusing world...

It's all yuck. Smile I guess it's how they grow their memberships.

A Chinese resteraunt near us stopped serving tea, because they became Mormon -- and you had to listen them talk about god....

What's worse they prayed when they delivered the food. We didn't go back.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-08-2013, 08:19 PM
JWs are an apocalypse cult, so they are worried that many non-JWs will not be apart of the few who are welcomed into heaven. They are generally afraid for our souls. It's commendable, but no less pointless and annoying.
07-08-2013, 10:54 PM
I think perhaps you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

The mormons are sending out these young men and women to give them a place in the mormon faith.
They keep them busy and constantly having conversations about the faith, reinforcing it in them.
Going door to door isn't for the people inside the house. It's for the purpose of reinforcement for those doing the knocking.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-08-2013, 11:01 PM
It's kind of like SPAM. Low return on investment, but at a low cost. If you have mindless zombies willing to volunteer knocking on doors, then it's not a big cost to keep doing it. If you knock on a hundred doors, you're bound to find a person or two who is vulnerable to fairy tails due to their life circumstances.
07-08-2013, 11:25 PM
You know, there's an LDS church not far from our house. I've had a couple different conversations with neighbors about them coming around, but I have yet to be around if/when they knock on my door.

I'm actually pretty disappointed at this. Given the amount of knowledge of the arguments and everything I now have I would love to have a nice chat with some door to door purveyors of religion.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Can't say I know much about Mormons but I know JWs go door-to-door because they believe it is a direct command from the bible. In fact I can say with 100% certainty that any JW will tell you the preaching work is the most important thing for them to be doing. So much so that any form of higher education or volunteering is looked down upon because your time is supposedly better spent pissing people off by knocking on their doors at 9am on a Saturday. They believe they are giving out a "life saving" message, so literally that you are blood guilty if you don't try to warn people. Which is funny because according to to their beliefs those who know and reject "the truth" will likely not be resurrected in the "new paradise Earth". But those who never had a chance to know would be resurrected for "a thousand reign" test trial before the new paradise Earth. Seems to me you would be saving more people by leaving them alone...
[+] 1 user Likes Yvette's post