Why do we atheists talk to god all the time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Why do we atheists talk to god all the time?
I know I do.

I never believed in it, yet – in times of extreme stress – I find myself talking to it: usually cursing, swearing, accusing, damning.

When my wife had cancer, god and I had frequent conversations.

In my poetry I use the name ‘god’ all the time to symbolize fate, destiny, relentlessness.

Obviously the concept symbolizes something, maybe our defiance against our vulnerability, our defenselessness, our human tragedy of so short a life and so long a death.

In this sense, I suspect, god does exist for all of us, even though consciously we totally reject the idea.

So what is this god we blame for the screwed-up ‘creation’ we could have done so much better?

I guess, it is a historical heritage, a symbol, an unknown and unknowable force that shaped our world over the billions of years.

In other words: it is Nature, coalesced into a poetic image of a person you can have a relationship with.

A totally one-sided relationship, because it, whatever it is, never talks back.
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2011, 07:47 PM
RE: Why do we atheists talk to god all the time?
I do it too. The simple answer is that when we have no obvious choice of where we can vent our accusations we choose the invisible man in the sky. Gotta hate on somebody, it eases the stress to have someone to blame, just as to people who are religious it eases the stress to have a place to go when you die and someone watching your back with super powers.
The difference is when we say it we don't mean it, and we immediately at least in my case go "fuck your not even real you asshole."

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2011, 08:57 PM
For me, it's simply a cultural reflex. It's the name i learned, early on, for the spirit of whatever in the universe is lucky for me (Thank God it landed over there!) and unlucky for me (Goddamit, the cleaners have closed!) because, naturally, everything in the universe is about me.

But also, when you think of it, humans are imaginative. We see pictures in clouds and hear our name in wind-blown grass; we conduct conversations with people who insulted us 20 years ago; we yell at doors and curse grocery bags, threaten our cars and seduce slices of cake. We personify every-damn-thing! That's how gods were created in the first place.... why should we give up the habit now?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
17-09-2011, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2011 03:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
Yeah, I do it, but i'm pretty sure god is me when I'm doing it. I just have a different definition of god.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-09-2011, 01:51 AM
(16-09-2011 07:28 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I know I do.

I never believed in it, yet – in times of extreme stress – I find myself talking to it: usually cursing, swearing, accusing, damning.
I think this is quite common, as at some remote psychological level we need a scapegoat because of the the fact that this contemplated 'god' does not meet specific Christian criterion.
Does some sense of Universal awe somehow conflict with what we have been taught and how we may feel during extreme emotional stress? Despite our logical feelings some core sense of spiritual contemplation versus a feeling of being diddled might account for our anger.
When my wife had cancer, god and I had frequent conversations.

In my poetry I use the name ‘god’ all the time to symbolize fate, destiny, relentlessness.

Obviously the concept symbolizes something, maybe our defiance against our vulnerability, our defenselessness, our human tragedy of so short a life and so long a death.

In this sense, I suspect, god does exist for all of us, even though consciously we totally reject the idea.

So what is this god we blame for the screwed-up ‘creation’ we could have done so much better?

I guess, it is a historical heritage, a symbol, an unknown and unknowable force that shaped our world over the billions of years.

[i]Is it the tension between fears, wants, disillusionment and a sense of impotence so strong that it must be named, albeit, in a grossly inadequate way?

In other words: it is Nature, coalesced into a poetic image of a person you can have a relationship with.]A totally one-sided relationship, because it, whatever it is, never talks back.

Sorry I seem incapable re formatting these threads propely.Huh
17-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Maybe "God" was a character created to allow us humans to talk to someone when we are at our lowest point of our lives? Where we feel so hopeless and wretched. Noticed how the people who claimed to be saved have stories that go...

1) I don't believe in God/ Is there a God?/ Where is God, I believe in him./ Jesus who? Never heard of this guy before.
2) Normal day for that person when suddenly...
3) DISASTER STRIKES! OH NO, CANCER/FAMILY DEATH/(insert sad, tragic event)
4) I am so emo.
5) SUDDENLY, the LIGHT! (or "miracle"/"I saw (God/Jesus/the flying spaghetti monster)")
6) OH MY GOD
7) I LOVE YOU GOD
8) ...and that's how I was saved by Jesus/God/The Flying Spaghetti Monster. True story.

Basically, our desire to escape our problems is manifested in the belief of something, something omnipotent, omniscient, omni-benevolent, omnislash...wait wrong omni. Someone that can help us regardless, and that's where "God" comes into the equation. Because "GOD ALWAYS LOVES US AND HELPS US WHEN WE ARE DOWN", right?

Quoting from a joke: "It's like talking to a fucking brick wall."

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
17-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Yabbut, we do it casually, too.
Like,
Honest to God, that's the biggest mess I've ever seen.
Petey, I swear to God, if you don't clean up this mess, i'll belt you one.
Yes, I spanked him, God help me.
As God is my witness, he asked for it.
OMG dd u c pty gt spkd?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
17-09-2011, 08:16 AM

(17-09-2011 07:47 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  OMG dd u c pty gt spkd?

Does god understand Pidgin English?
Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Pidgin English is still pronounced properly. There's no reason it would be literate when everyone talks to it. I never use it and there's plenty of cultural reasons I should. As a kid I begged myself to believe, but I had no interest in talking to nothing. Just think of it as a conditioned response. As long as you expect nothing to answer back you're just covertly talking to yourself anyway =p.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-09-2011, 02:50 PM
"Thank God"
"Goddamit"
"Oh my God!"
"God, what have I done?"
Are cultural empty phrases, nothing to do with "god".
I still talk in other ways to god, but I do never mean "god". But it's an easy way to express nature/destiny or whatever. I don't think that it's an important fact.