Why do we atheists talk to god all the time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2011, 03:50 PM

RE: Why do we atheists talk to god all the time?
The OP was the long version.

The short version is: I need a punch-bag.
Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I think you may not be atheist. The worst I do is sometimes slip on a word and say "oh my god" or "thank god", when I really didn't mean it literally.

As for cursing at a person who doesn't exist, I'd get that checked out Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2011, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 11:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
Because "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" is only like the greatest question ever. Like a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime question.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-09-2011, 01:55 PM
(18-09-2011 03:42 PM)Crucify This! Wrote:  I think you may not be atheist. The worst I do is sometimes slip on a word and say "oh my god" or "thank god", when I really didn't mean it literally.

As for cursing at a person who doesn't exist, I'd get that checked out Wink

There's a reason they say there's "no atheists in foxholes". In extreme situations, many people revert to what Zata is talking about.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
22-09-2011, 11:35 PM
(16-09-2011 07:28 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  When my wife had cancer, god and I had frequent conversations.

I'm hoping you kicked its ass and your wife is now in remission?

#sigh
23-09-2011, 03:04 AM

(22-09-2011 11:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-09-2011 07:28 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  When my wife had cancer, god and I had frequent conversations.

I'm hoping you kicked its ass and your wife is now in remission?

Yes and YES!!! -- actually she is considered cured (3 years and going strong!)

Shy

(18-09-2011 03:42 PM)Crucify This! Wrote:  I think you may not be atheist.

Read my posts and judge for yourself. Smile

ETA:

Copied from my post on "What kind of atheist are you?" thread:

"I will answer the question about god, as soon as the questioner defines the word.
Once I was asked: “do you believe that electrons exist?”
My answer was: yes.
Being a Physicist, I personally performed many experiments that proved to me that such a phenomenon exists: with specific mass, charge and spin. That is how I define an electron and, since I personally experienced it, of course I believe in its existence, even though I have never seen one.
As soon as somebody defines the word 'god' in the same way and I can repeat the experiment in a reliable, reproducible way, I will believe in it.
Not till then. "
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2011, 11:39 PM
(23-09-2011 03:04 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  "I will answer the question about god, as soon as the questioner defines the word."

I define god as us.

(18-09-2011 03:42 PM)Crucify This! Wrote:  I think you may not be atheist.

I'm thinking I might not be an atheist either, 'cause I'm starting to think that we collecitvely are God.

#sigh
24-09-2011, 07:41 PM
@Girlyman, by you think all of us are god, do you mean in the sense that we collectively share a consciousness and create the world around us? Or do you refer to the belief that we are all our own individual god? Or, something else? I'm curious. Probably a post for this, but whatevs.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-09-2011, 01:52 PM
@ lucradis: I can't answer for GirlyMan, but often I represent a similar point of view. I think that god exists, in people's mind. That'll mean, the thoughts of the believers are god, vice versa. That's a very logical statement that can explain lot of "problems". Ask me about details, I'll answer if I can.
25-09-2011, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2011 07:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-09-2011 07:41 PM)lucradis Wrote:  @Girlyman, by you think all of us are god, do you mean in the sense that we collectively share a consciousness and create the world around us?

Yes, that. And I'm nowhere near the point where I believe it, but I am at a point where I have been actively considering it for a while now.

#sigh