Why do we challenge just Christanity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Why do we challenge just Christanity?
I don't know about you, but more modern religions like the Neo-Pagan movement I find far more ridiculous than Christianity. In it, people believe they can "cast spells" to share energies of nature to their will. I used to be a Neo-Pagan, specifically Wiccan, and I found that religion just as hypocritical and lacking logic. Why is it so popular to down Christianity but everyone forgets such nonsense as witchcraft in Neo-Paganism? I'm just curious.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 07:10 PM
RE: Why do we challenge just Christanity?
(23-08-2013 07:04 PM)trekker4ever Wrote:  I don't know about you, but more modern religions like the Neo-Pagan movement I find far more ridiculous than Christianity. In it, people believe they can "cast spells" to share energies of nature to their will. I used to be a Neo-Pagan, specifically Wiccan, and I found that religion just as hypocritical and lacking logic. Why is it so popular to down Christianity but everyone forgets such nonsense as witchcraft in Neo-Paganism? I'm just curious.

At least in the US the Christians are the most well funded and pervasive and they are the ones attempting to shape government policy so they are the natural target of atheist ire.

Neon-Paganism is full of just as much BS...but why write a virus for Linux when I could infect 100x more PCs?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
23-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Popular?

The vast majority of english speaking countries have an overwhelming Christian population. Which means Christian social power, financial power, and political power.

They are the significant movers and shakers.

Who's leading the charge on rewriting history and science text - the Pagan Norse or Christians? Who's leading the charge to demote homosexuals to second class citizens - Wiccans or Christians? Who's leading the charge in endangering women's lives and stripping them of their rights? Jedi or Christians?

I mean, c'mon, priorities Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
23-08-2013, 07:22 PM
(23-08-2013 07:04 PM)trekker4ever Wrote:  I don't know about you, but more modern religions like the Neo-Pagan movement I find far more ridiculous than Christianity. In it, people believe they can "cast spells" to share energies of nature to their will. I used to be a Neo-Pagan, specifically Wiccan, and I found that religion just as hypocritical and lacking logic. Why is it so popular to down Christianity but everyone forgets such nonsense as witchcraft in Neo-Paganism? I'm just curious.

We've had occasional Wiccans and Satanists and others here. They don't last long.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-08-2013, 07:23 PM
It's because of two things:
1. Most atheists in English-speaking countries are former Christians.
2. In those countries, Christianity is the only religion that is entrenched in law or has a large enough lobby to promote religion-based laws.

Most atheists here don't have personal experiences with Islam, for example, so it has not really affected our lives the way Christianity has. We don't have family members disowning us for rejecting Mohammed, and we don't have Muslim senators pushing for Sharia law. But many atheists have or have had personal problems relating to Christianity, and do have to deal with Christian politicians trying to push religion-based laws.

No one really touches Wicca because most of us probably never knew any Wiccans outside of high school (not counting those on internet forums). We just don't face political/social problems as a result of Wiccans.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
23-08-2013, 07:45 PM
What ridethespiral, & poolboyG, said!

Also, my ex fancied herself a witch, so I just kept my mouth shut!
Because it doesn't require a witch's curse to kill you in your sleep,....just one of my kitchen knives in her hand Undecided

23-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Right now the loudest people who are in my way are Christians, Muslims, and Jews. The top three most threatening to my rights as a woman, as a bisexual, as an American, and as a human being.

1. They want to stop a right to education
2. They want to stop a right to freedom of expression
3. They want to end sexual liberation
4. They want stop access to proper and affordable health care
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
23-08-2013, 08:26 PM
I debate with muslims and one wiccan and christians. Know too little to debate the others.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
23-08-2013, 08:50 PM
What ? You no buy the "vortex" ? Weeping
Islam is just as preposterous as Christianity.
Trouble is, many people are afraid to talk about it publicly.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-08-2013, 08:50 PM
These are all good points. I suppose it should have seemed obvious to me when a lot of staunch defenders of Christianity proudly call America a "Christian Nation". You are right that a group like modern Pagans is really in the minority and generally don't try and push their religion into laws and education. Some days I wonder if we will ever truly see church separate from state. Politics seems to even come down to religion. If more people were atheists or agnostics, I think peace could be established. Maybe.