Why do we challenge just Christanity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 09:01 PM
RE: Why do we challenge just Christanity?
(23-08-2013 08:50 PM)trekker4ever Wrote:  If more people were atheists or agnostics, I think peace could be established. Maybe.

My points to this are pretty much similar to the post that I made on your introductory post to this forum.

There will still be racist, sexist, homophobic, murderous, manipulative, dishonest, etc people. Atheism or not. They'll just point to other, non religious, sources to reinforce their beliefs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
24-08-2013, 01:11 PM
(23-08-2013 07:04 PM)trekker4ever Wrote:  I don't know about you, but more modern religions like the Neo-Pagan movement I find far more ridiculous than Christianity. In it, people believe they can "cast spells" to share energies of nature to their will. I used to be a Neo-Pagan, specifically Wiccan, and I found that religion just as hypocritical and lacking logic. Why is it so popular to down Christianity but everyone forgets such nonsense as witchcraft in Neo-Paganism? I'm just curious.

Who's this 'we' you are referring to?

I will debate anyone claiming that their faith based beliefs are true.

It's just that the most prevalent and vocal religion in the West is Christianity. There have been Muslims that have posted here in the past and they have been challenged just as vehemently as Christians.

The reason why Pagans don't get challenged as much is because their beliefs do not lead to: teaching pseudoscience in public school science courses, persecuting minorities, passing laws based on 'scriptural morality', preventing gays from getting married, etc, etc.
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post
24-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Re: Why do we challenge just Christanity?
When cases spring up trying to add crystal healing powers and Wicca spells to public educational health and science courses then they will be challenged more aggressively.

Not all atheists oppose people having their woo, even of it's nutty as long as they aren't outwardly manipulating people.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Those of us who live in the United States encounter Christians on a daily basis. We see the bumper stickers, the huge crosses. Churches spread across the nation.

Having said that, I'm not sure that we confront the Christians as much as they confront us.

I can only speak for myself, but I feel that anyone, on any country of the earth, who believes in any afterlife, is a fool!

You're a nice, warm piece of meat today! You will be a cold slab of dust tomorrow. End of story.
24-08-2013, 07:55 PM
(24-08-2013 02:32 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Those of us who live in the United States encounter Christians on a daily basis. We see the bumper stickers, the huge crosses. Churches spread across the nation.

Having said that, I'm not sure that we confront the Christians as much as they confront us.

I can only speak for myself, but I feel that anyone, on any country of the earth, who believes in any afterlife, is a fool!

You're a nice, warm piece of meat today! You will be a cold slab of dust tomorrow. End of story.

I agree with you that I include this criticism on all religious beliefs because they all share that same essence of being a comforting lie. I recently watched a fantastic documentary made by Bill Maher where he discussed the problems of a religiously obsessed society who blindly follows their leaders. It really opened my eyes when I just thought, even though they are religious, that religion was harmless if misguided. I guess it can do more harm than I realize.
24-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Short answer without reading the thread: we don't, but there's one religion in most of our countries that has an awful lot more influence on public discourse; it's reasonable - even necessary - to spend correspondingly more energy dealing with it.

After reading the thread: I see other people have more than covered this. Well done, other people!

... this is my signature!
25-08-2013, 06:16 PM
All religions are dangerous, no matter their origin. No matter their date. The one that crops up tomorrow will be just as dangerous as the one from a thousand years ago. Because they construct rules for life, which are not based on the reality of life. We would all like for life to be ordered and structured, but it isn't. Life is chaos!

My openion!? Philosophy is dangerous! You can follow Floyd, Jung, or, Glenn Beck! But don't follow to closely! Remember. Friedrich Nietzsche, committed suicide! Brilliant philosopher! And a fucking nutball!

So: Jesus? possible nutball! Buddha? nutball? Who's your favorite? Probably a nutball!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
25-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Xtians seem to show up sprinkling their jesus dust more than the others. I'm perfectly willing to go after muslims, hindus or any other variety of fool but I won't go looking for them.

They have to wander into my cross hairs!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
26-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Maybe it's just our cross to bear. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-08-2013, 07:19 PM
As previous posters have said, it's because that's the religion most of us encounter the most. Nearly everyone I know is Christian. I've only ever met one person who was neither Christian nor atheist/agnostic/nonreligious and she was Buddhist. It comes down to familiarity. It's easier to challenge a belief system that most of us are familiar with. I know very little about religions other than Christianity and was Christian myself for a time so I know more about it than any religion. If I were to criticize, say Islam, the only real criticism I'd be able to make would be its belief in God. I wouldn't know anything about the specifics of the religion, whereas with Christianity I do.