Why do we challenge just Christanity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2013, 07:59 PM
RE: Why do we challenge just Christanity?
(26-08-2013 05:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe it's just our cross to bear. Dodgy

Boooooooo!

It's a matter of geographical location, I think, for most of us. Most people on this board seem to live in the US or some other country that is predominantly Christian. It's hard to have arguments with people of faiths you don't know much, if anything, about.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2013, 09:33 PM
I've never had anyone from minor religions bother me, so I don't really care what kind of nonsense they believe.
Those who wish to impose their creed on society or blow things up need to be countered rather than ignored.
[+] 1 user Likes closet.atheist's post
27-08-2013, 09:46 PM
It's the Christians I encounter that want to preach their beliefs. I am never in a position where anyone of other belief systems is set to convert me and they tend not to knock on my door to 'share their good word.'

The billboards with religious messages I see are Christian in nature. The people standing on the corner near Target this past weekend were holding signs with Christian messages. This past weekend's group had signs that said things like "Tell Hell to Shut Up" (please tell me how that works) and "I am praying for you". The Mormons just built a temple at the edge of the subdivision where I live, which explains the boys on bikes that appeared recently.

As others have said, Christianity is what many of us face and what many of us left and want to be rid of.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-09-2013, 11:42 PM
It is the exact same thing, over and over.
04-09-2013, 01:13 AM
The more a religion impacts my life, the more I oppose it. In my country Christianity still has considerable political power. I'd likely oppose any religion that wanted to restrict what people say, feel, think, do, say, and think.

@BQ The healthcare issue has nothing to do with religion. I don't think Christians want to have high costs associated with healthcare anymore than you do.

05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
"Why is it so popular to down Christianity but everyone forgets such nonsense as witchcraft in Neo-Paganism? I'm just curious."

If it makes you feel any better, I am hereby, publically downing any fool who believes in witchcraft, Neo-Paganism (Whatever that is), pre - or post modern dipshitism of any kind!

But, here's your answer: Most of us are not experts in any religion, much less all of them. Therefore we may not even be aware that "Post Modern Dipshitism" even exists. But we have some awareness of the bible and Christianity and the general structure of mythology. So, if you want to know if anyone thinks that dirt is god, or if we think that Zeus really liked to rape women in the form of a bull, most of us probably kind of doubt that!
12-09-2013, 03:38 AM

(27-08-2013 09:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's the Christians I encounter that want to preach their beliefs. I am never in a position where anyone of other belief systems is set to convert me and they tend not to knock on my door to 'share their good word.'

The billboards with religious messages I see are Christian in nature. The people standing on the corner near Target this past weekend were holding signs with Christian messages. This past weekend's group had signs that said things like "Tell Hell to Shut Up" (please tell me how that works) and "I am praying for you". The Mormons just built a temple at the edge of the subdivision where I live, which explains the boys on bikes that appeared recently.

As others have said, Christianity is what many of us face and what many of us left and want to be rid of.

I still don't cease to be surprised with how loud Christians are in America. This is completely unlike Europe. They never knocked on my door (in fact, if you won't give priests money, they'll forget that you exist at all). And these billboards about hell, or preachers who scare people with hell via megaphones in the street... I've never seen anything even remotely similar in my country. I can only imagine what would happen - I think the best case scenario would be that they'd be ridiculed or ignored, but in the worst case, I think it'd be entirely possible that someone would end up without a few teeth. People live their own lives and deal with their everyday concerns, and the last thing one needs is a holier-than-thou religious hypocrite telling them what (not) to think and what (not) to do. We do have a fair share of religious fanatics, but they seem to know their place - outside the spotlight of the public.

Rant ended.
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2013, 07:06 AM
I have known a few from the neo-pagan movement, even tried it out a little on my journey. I think the biggest reason nobody fights them is that they are not a threat. Until a religion becomes institutionalized and organized around a central tenant or leadership organization it is difficult, if not impossible, to exert much societal influence. That lack of influence means they are not able to move the needle on issues that are important to any of us. It would be like taking measures to stop a tree from taking my parking spot.

It certainly isn't for lack of asshattery though. The pagan movement is full to bustin with people desperate to live out some kind of strange, dongeons and dragons fantasy. I did a corny youtube vid on Christian Day and his Salem "coven" when they were all concerned with the antics of Charlie Sheen. The neo-pagans are a side show, little more.
[+] 1 user Likes BradleyPride's post
14-09-2013, 01:42 PM
"Why do we challenge just christianity?"
First of all, who is WE?
Second: Wasn't there a big fuss recently that said that atheists only attack Islam?

Bottom line is, they're all the same.
At the core it's about someone gaining money or power.

And in the case of the 3 big religions:
Islam is a spin-off of christianity which is a spin-off if Judaism. So come one come all!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
20-09-2013, 09:37 AM
(23-08-2013 08:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What ? You no buy the "vortex" ? Weeping
Islam is just as preposterous as Christianity.
Trouble is, many people are afraid to talk about it publicly.

MIT grad? Guess he had a closed head injury and forgot his training.