Why do we dream?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Why do we dream?
I think dreaming is a natural process of the brain that used to train earlier humans for situations they might face everyday. Since we no longer need to think of survival in a sense of being in danger, our dreams are wacky and fun sometimes.

I think the earlier humans had much more realistic dreams than we do now, I have the most screwed up dreams and I couldn't see it helping me in the real world.

I also believe that dreams can be interpreted into how you actually feel about what is going on around you in your daily life.

Dreams don't tell the future but they do tell the present, emotions and ideas can be present in dreams, which in turn help some in real situations.

I would like to see what others think on this matter. As always, thanks for reading and I can't wait to see your responses. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2012, 09:36 PM
RE: Why do we dream?
This guy explains really well what I think of dreams

and yes, the fact that is based on scientific research is compelling Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
26-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I really would love to know the answer. Because I've had some weird ass dreams.
26-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I shared this in a different thread, but I really liked this program quite a lot.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/what-are-dreams.html

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-09-2012, 09:51 PM
(edit) nvm erx fixed his link lol.

Reminds me of a time I linked the wrong video in a thread. Heeheee.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
26-09-2012, 09:52 PM
(26-09-2012 09:51 PM)Logisch Wrote:  (edit) nvm erx fixed his link lol.

Reminds me of a time I linked the wrong video in a thread. Heeheee.

You were too quick.

Oh! That's what she said!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Reading rainbooooow
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
27-09-2012, 01:02 AM
I don't really dream anymore. What few dreams I do have I don't remember. I used to be able to lucid dream when I was a kid. I squandered the opportunity and basically played Halo in my head.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
27-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Want to know how I first lucid dreamed? I was around 11. I was dreaming I was being chased by a formless, shadowy monster. I was running but I wasn't gaining any ground. And I wondered, "How did I get here? What is this thing? ... Oh wait it's a dream. If it's a dream, I should be able to control it!" So I dreamed I had an assault rifle, then I turned around and I fucking killed that motherfucking monster. Then it turned into Halo.

Not a joke.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
27-09-2012, 02:46 PM
The brain is very active during sleep. Even more active than it is while you're awake. When you're awake, your mind is constantly processing thousands of pieces of information, but your conscious mind is able to filter out the bits that are unimportant to it at the time. As unimportant as these bits may be, though, they've still been taken in by the brain, and that information has to go somewhere. So, your brain dumps it into the "save for later" file known as the "subconscious". While you're awake, the subconscious is being filled with bits of information, but you're not consciously aware of it. If you were, it'd drive you crazy being aware of every last piece of information you're taking in. Just a stroll from the front door to the car would be absolutely maddening:

"The air is cold, but not too cold, my feet are a little sore from the walking I did yesterday, I have an itch on the back of my head, hand and above my ankle, my shirt is rubbing against my inner arm, the dog 3 houses over barked 5 times, a truck on the highway nearby rolled over the rumble-strips, my car is red, the road is a blackish gray, the sky is blue, there are 4 cloud clusters in the sky, one of them is vaguely shaped like a dolphin, there are 7 trees around me, the leaves are blowing slightly, the breeze is blowing against my skin, I'm going to work, my office is cramped, I'm about to step off the curb, my car just chirpped twice when I unlocked it..."

You get the idea. Your brain doesn't have the energy to process all of this information at once, so it dumps the vast majority of it into your subconscious.

Upon sleeping, however, you enter a different state of mind. To illustrate, there is a wall that seperates your conscious mind from your subconscious mind. When you sleep, this wall comes down. As I said, the brain is still active in sleep, which means that this information is still being passed between neurons. In sleep, though, the brain is not in it's normal state, and thus cannot process this information in the same way it would when you're awake. As a result, the brain does the best it can to make sense of the information it's being presented with - and that information is being presented in no sensible order. For this reason, if you've got job stress on your mind as you're walking to your car in the morning; later that night, your brain is likely going to put those pieces of information - the dog barking, the air being cold, and your boss being a dick - into a loose story that isn't rational or sensible, but is the best your mind can do while in the altered state of unconsciousness.

In that case, your dream turns into a bizarre story of you, running through a windy wasteland that was once your neighborhood, being chased by rabid dogs that were sent by your boss, who you never see, but who you "just know" is out there in dreamland somewhere pulling the strings on your demise.

That is why dreams tend to possess two distinct attributes: 1) They feature a theme that is relevant to things currently going on in your life, and 2) they are bizarre in their construct.

The truth is that we each have literally hundreds of dreams a night, and even the most lengthy and disturbing dreams last no longer than 5 or 6 seconds. Sounds crazy, I know, but dreams really are that short. And despite the onslaught of information that our altered mind is presented with every night, we tend to remember only a single dream, either because it was the last one we had before waking, or because it was the most significant in some way.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post