Why do we have a 'like' button and a 'rep' button?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Why do we have a 'like' button and a 'rep' button?
If you like someone's post then rep them. I see no need for a like button.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
06-12-2011, 09:41 AM
RE: Why do we have a 'like' button and a 'rep' button?
I can't deal with anymore site criticisms. It's depressing me. But the like would be for the individual post, where the rep is for the person as a whole. It saves us from having to read page after page of reps to find out that especially in cases like buddy christs, that you have upwards of 3 or 4 hundred likes is not more. Whereas a rep would state what you might think of a person as a whole. Requires more thought, or should anyways.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Pretty much restating what ludacris just explained, with as many people that like posts, and as many posts recieving likes, there'd be page after page of reps.
The like button and the rep button just seem to balance out interaction.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
06-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Hmm. The forum I spend most of my time at has reps and no like. I have nearly 3000. This one is set up differently. There, if you get repped by soemone with 1793 reps, your reps go up 1.793. If you get negged it's half, so 2200 rep power who negs you would reduce your reps by 1.1. Mods and admin float right around a million reps so a rep nets you about 1000 and a neg lowers you about 500.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 10:17 AM
(06-12-2011 09:07 AM)germanyt Wrote:  If you like someone's post then rep them. I see no need for a like button.

I liked your post, but I won't rep you. In a few months, this post will be deeply hidden and probably nobody will notice that I ever liked it, but your lowly rep will be visible to all, MUHAHAHAHAHA! Big Grin

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 6 users Like Thammuz's post
06-12-2011, 11:19 AM
(06-12-2011 09:41 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I can't deal with anymore site criticisms. It's depressing me.

Me too. I'm all for contributing to make the site better, but holy shit. Seems lately everyone has something to bitch about.

germanyt , that's not directed at you specifically, but just generally at those who have so many petty complaints.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
meh... like button rep button...

Nothing wrong with the site in my mind.. I like it. No complaints from me

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
06-12-2011, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 11:48 AM by defacto7.)
(06-12-2011 11:19 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 09:41 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I can't deal with anymore site criticisms. It's depressing me.

Me too. I'm all for contributing to make the site better, but holy shit. Seems lately everyone has something to bitch about.

germanyt , that's not directed at you specifically, but just generally at those who have so many petty complaints.

interesting, first it's "snooty" now it's "petty" Mind if I use this in my signature? Better than "-" reps even.

lucradis... thanks for proving my point in the reps as caste thread
Quote:Whereas a rep would state what you might think of a person as a whole.

This is really getting fucking ridiculous. The whole idea of having a suggestion and getting it put into this kind of shit is stupid and undermines this whole project.

You have done a great job of weeding out the unfortunates. Yay for the team.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
06-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, just live and let live. I could have a rep of 20 if I had boobs and like to show'em. Well, I have gained some weight lately, so if you wanna rep my moobs instead. They're hairy because I don't like to shave, but with a little imagination, it's all the same. Just don't mention why you repped me then, cuz you know, that's just plain awkward Tongue

Or I could spend 10 hours a day desperately sounding like houseofcantor, hoping someone would love my encrypted Gwynnie quotes just as much... I might take another woman maybe (pardon my blasphemy, HoC). Maybe Geike Arnaert? (from hooverphonic)...

You're not a better or worse person with a high rep. There are creationists here with a higher ranking than me. Who cares?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
06-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm starting to get the feeling that there is an epidemic of sticks inserted into asses. Is there a surgery for removing them? Stop being such a downer and maybe give some positive energy back into this place.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user