Why do we have a 'like' button and a 'rep' button?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 11:57 AM
RE: Why do we have a 'like' button and a 'rep' button?
(06-12-2011 11:52 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I'm starting to get the feeling that there is an epidemic of sticks inserted into asses. Is there a surgery for removing them? Stop being such a downer and maybe give some positive energy back into this place.

How am I being a downer? I'm not complaining. Just asking a question. This forum just has a different rep system than every other forum. I thought it was a pretty universal feature for those that have it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry I may not have actually been referencing you. I realize I didn't say a name so I apologize for that.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Random User CP from bodybuilding.com

[Image: usercpasorrecent.jpg]

The rep points in the top right divided by 1000 is the rep power. 1000 rep power will give someone 1000 rep points and thus, 1 rep power.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I like the current rep/like system. It makes perfect sense to me. Confused
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
06-12-2011, 04:57 PM
There are both because you can like a post without necessarily liking the poster. Some of the crazy fundies that stop by here occasionally have some entertaining things to say. But that doesn't mean I think they're great people.

And german, this angry vibe in the room really has nothing to do with your post. We literally just had an semi-heated debate over the Rep system on another thread and now this. You're just the guy who unknowingly walked into the room eating a piece of chocolate cake and went, "What's up guys?" It's not your fault that you didn't know that seconds before you walked in the room someone yelled, "I hate chocolate! And rhetorical question greetings! I'm gonna punch the next guy who uses either!"

I still don't understand the big deal with the anti-rep group. I will stand on a pedestal and loudly declare here and now that the Rep system is meaningless and about as vain and superficial as how many Twitter followers you have. But does that mean it should be removed? My entire only persona could be fake as well. I could be a 400 pound woman with a peg leg named Quaneeda (me or the peg leg?). That doesn't mean that I should be banned from posting. This is an internet forum. Where we gather for self-affirmation and third party approval, and hopefully in the process we learn a thing or two about religions.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
06-12-2011, 05:04 PM
(06-12-2011 04:57 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  There are both because you can like a post without necessarily liking the poster. Some of the crazy fundies that stop by here occasionally have some entertaining things to say. But that doesn't mean I think they're great people.

And german, this angry vibe in the room really has nothing to do with your post. We literally just had an semi-heated debate over the Rep system on another thread and now this. You're just the guy who unknowingly walked into the room eating a piece of chocolate cake and went, "What's up guys?" It's not your fault that you didn't know that seconds before you walked in the room someone yelled, "I hate chocolate! And rhetorical question greetings! I'm gonna punch the next guy who uses either!"

I still don't understand the big deal with the anti-rep group. I will stand on a pedestal and loudly declare here and now that the Rep system is meaningless and about as vain and superficial as how many Twitter followers you have. But does that mean it should be removed? My entire only persona could be fake as well. I could be a 400 pound woman with a peg leg named Quaneeda (me or the peg leg?). That doesn't mean that I should be banned from posting. This is an internet forum. Where we gather for self-affirmation and third party approval, and hopefully in the process we learn a thing or two about religions.

Reps make me feel powerful.

not srs

semi srs

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok Germanyt never post a message with so much blank ever again. Why do you need that kind of message? the system your discussing would be so heavily hated by the people who care. Can we somehow drop all of these threads about the rep thing or combine them?

I like having the rep system as it does let you know sometimes if someone is really intelligent but they sure don't sound it in their response =p I feel that the numbers generally for the most part reflect the users. and most of the high rep people have been here a while. If you want 58 rep look in newspapers and start as many engaging threads as possible, that's the fast track.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
06-12-2011, 11:49 PM
(06-12-2011 10:15 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Hmm. The forum I spend most of my time at has reps and no like. I have nearly 3000. This one is set up differently. There, if you get repped by soemone with 1793 reps, your reps go up 1.793. If you get negged it's half, so 2200 rep power who negs you would reduce your reps by 1.1. Mods and admin float right around a million reps so a rep nets you about 1000 and a neg lowers you about 500.

It's been too long since I've played D&D so most of that D10 and D20 talk went right over my head.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-12-2011, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 08:41 AM by germanyt.)
(06-12-2011 11:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 10:15 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Hmm. The forum I spend most of my time at has reps and no like. I have nearly 3000. This one is set up differently. There, if you get repped by soemone with 1793 reps, your reps go up 1.793. If you get negged it's half, so 2200 rep power who negs you would reduce your reps by 1.1. Mods and admin float right around a million reps so a rep nets you about 1000 and a neg lowers you about 500.

It's been too long since I've played D&D so most of that D10 and D20 talk went right over my head.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.
(06-12-2011 11:46 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Ok Germanyt never post a message with so much blank ever again. Why do you need that kind of message? the system your discussing would be so heavily hated by the people who care. Can we somehow drop all of these threads about the rep thing or combine them?

I like having the rep system as it does let you know sometimes if someone is really intelligent but they sure don't sound it in their response =p I feel that the numbers generally for the most part reflect the users. and most of the high rep people have been here a while. If you want 58 rep look in newspapers and start as many engaging threads as possible, that's the fast track.

The space in teh post is for effect. It's internet/meme humor.

-Mark Twain