Why do we have poor people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 11:47 AM
RE: Why do we have poor people?
I saw this yesterday and think it's interesting. (Also reminds me of shannow's fun stat vids.) I'm curious what other countries are like. I don't think Canada is nearly as drastic, we still have a stronger middle class and our top 1% are not as rich as USA's, but we are still in rough shape and could get worse.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
04-12-2013, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 12:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-12-2013 11:39 AM)frankksj Wrote:  So even if everyone is equal on the starting line, once someone gets ahead, he will try to use that advantage to get further ahead.

Speak for yourself, Frankie. That don't describe Girly. It's all fucking temporary. Ain't worth me being a dick. I'm thinking your mommy didn't hug you enough. Tongue

[Image: bearhugs.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
(04-12-2013 11:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 11:39 AM)frankksj Wrote:  So even if everyone is equal on the starting line, once someone gets ahead, he will try to use that advantage to get further ahead.

Speak for yourself, Frankie. That don't describe Girly. It's all fucking temporary. I'm thinking your mommy didn't hug you enough. Tongue

Yeah, but you're not normal girly. (In all the best ways). In a small town I lived in, I was at a coffee shop and I heard the director of a local child care facility tell her friend that sometimes she wakes up and wonders who she is going to piss off that day for fun. Undecided
04-12-2013, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 12:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-12-2013 12:02 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 11:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Speak for yourself, Frankie. That don't describe Girly. It's all fucking temporary. I'm thinking your mommy didn't hug you enough. Tongue

Yeah, but you're not normal girly. (In all the best ways). In a small town I lived in, I was at a coffee shop and I heard the director of a local child care facility tell her friend that sometimes she wakes up and wonders who she is going to piss off that day for fun. Undecided

As long as it's all in good fun and everybody's in on it, I don't see a problem. Big Grin

When everybody's not in on it, yeah that's just being a dick. Who the fuck wants to be a dick? That's just fucking deranged and self-damaging. Like Sarah cutting herself it's indicative of a deep-seated inferiority complex or somesuch shit.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-12-2013, 12:34 PM
(04-12-2013 11:39 AM)frankksj Wrote:  Wealth leads to more wealth. Power leads to more power. So even if everyone is equal on the starting line, once someone gets ahead, he will try to use that advantage to get further ahead.

This is the case with all social animals, whether you watch a flock of geese or a herd of deer or a pack of wolves ...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-12-2013, 12:44 PM
(04-12-2013 11:47 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I saw this yesterday and think it's interesting. (Also reminds me of shannow's fun stat vids.) I'm curious what other countries are like. I don't think Canada is nearly as drastic, we still have a stronger middle class and our top 1% are not as rich as USA's, but we are still in rough shape and could get worse.

That's an excellent video. It makes a great point and is very compelling. My only frustration is that the people complaining about inequality never stop to explain WHY it's happening. They'll usually suggest it's that government isn't intervening enough, BUT, then when you point out the fact that inequality is WORSE now than it was when the government didn't intervene at all and only occupied 3% of our gdp, they choose to ignore this. Sadly I think it's just going to get worse and worse until people are ready to talk about why it's happening.
04-12-2013, 12:53 PM
(04-12-2013 10:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'd say it's because human nature is still inherently selfish, and society reflects it.

Saying that our species has the quality of selfishness doesn't mean we aren't capable of compassion.

Inequity is not the problem, it is the gap. Other westernized nations show that when the gap is lower the social problems are smaller because the more stable the individual is the less social problems that society has.

Selfishness is one aspect of our species, but not the only one.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
04-12-2013, 01:01 PM
(04-12-2013 12:53 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 10:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'd say it's because human nature is still inherently selfish, and society reflects it.

Saying that our species has the quality of selfishness doesn't mean we aren't capable of compassion.

Inequity is not the problem, it is the gap. Other westernized nations show that when the gap is lower the social problems are smaller because the more stable the individual is the less social problems that society has.

Selfishness is one aspect of our species, but not the only one.

So then how does a society implement, transition and regulate itself to close this gap? Is it a government responsibility, or an individual one? Both compassion and selfishness exist.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
04-12-2013, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 01:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-12-2013 12:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  This is the case with all social animals, whether you watch a flock of geese or a herd of deer or a pack of wolves ...

What then distinguishes our species? I'm not a bum, I'm a human being. ... But I do think we are silly geese. Big Grin

(04-12-2013 12:44 PM)frankksj Wrote:  That's an excellent video. It makes a great point and is very compelling. My only frustration is that the people complaining about inequality never stop to explain WHY it's happening. They'll usually suggest it's that government isn't intervening enough, BUT, then when you point out the fact that inequality is WORSE now than it was when the government didn't intervene at all and only occupied 3% of our gdp, they choose to ignore this. Sadly I think it's just going to get worse and worse until people are ready to talk about why it's happening.

There is at least one Nobel Laureate in Economics who disagrees with you. Why would I buy into your arguments instead of his? You got a Nobel Prize?

04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
(04-12-2013 01:01 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So then how does a society implement, transition and regulate itself to close this gap? Is it a government responsibility, or an individual one? Both compassion and selfishness exist.

Taxation to dampen our greed. Tax relief to encourage our compassion.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post