Why do we have poor people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 03:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Why do we have poor people?
(04-12-2013 02:52 PM)frankksj Wrote:  #1: Imagine a solution that reduces inequality by dis-proportionally taking from the rich, but it lowers the overall/average wealth/income.

#2: Imagine a solution that raises everybody's standards, wealthy and poor, so that the poor are better off than under #1, BUT, it lets the rich get much, much better off and therefore inequality is higher.

Given those 2 choices, which you prefer? Greater equality, but less wealth? Or greater inequality, but more wealth?

Serious question, and it's very relevant because it's hard to say if you're 'doing it right' if we don't know what you're trying to do.

That's easy. Less wealth. That shit'll eat the shit outta you motherfucking soul.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Actually here's a better way to ask it.

Say you're a farmer in a poor community where there's no rich, and everybody's struggling to make ends meet. So you're 'average'.

Now you get a job offer to live and work in Beverly Hills. The job is roughly comparable to your current one, and you'll make more money and be able to afford a nicer home and send your kids to a better school, BUT you'll be surrounded by a bunch of very rich people, so you'll be among the poorest in that community living in the slums of Beverly Hills.

Would you take the job, and accept the inequality in your community, or prefer to stay in a more equal community?
04-12-2013, 03:02 PM
(04-12-2013 02:59 PM)frankksj Wrote:  Actually here's a better way to ask it.

Say you're a farmer in a poor community where there's no rich, and everybody's struggling to make ends meet. So you're 'average'.

Now you get a job offer to live and work in Beverly Hills. The job is roughly comparable to your current one, and you'll make more money and be able to afford a nicer home and send your kids to a better school, BUT you'll be surrounded by a bunch of very rich people, so you'll be among the poorest in that community living in the slums of Beverly Hills.

Would you take the job, and accept the inequality in your community, or prefer to stay in a more equal community?

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-12-2013, 03:02 PM
(04-12-2013 02:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 02:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  Nothing much Tongue

Compassion is still rare. It shouldn't be, but it is.

They have compassion too. They care for the injured until it becomes obvious that they will perish.

And, for instance, goose widowers (happen frequently because the females are larger and shot by hunters, or eaten by predators while setting) will attach themselves to couples that are setting or have babies and protect them with their lives. If a predator shows up, the widower will run right at it and bite and distract it and get himself killed and eaten.

Their society doesn't differ that much from ours. They have sweet members and dicks and greedy ones and ones that will lead others to food and share. And they protect their ill and disadvantaged up to the point of no return, at which point the injured wants to die and offers itself up to a predator, which in turn protects the group.

We aren't that much different. We just got more stuff to play with.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Maybe we should all live in a commune, everyone shares everything. Problem solved.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
04-12-2013, 03:10 PM
(04-12-2013 03:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Maybe we should all live in a commune, everyone shares everything. Problem solved.

Been there, done that, ain't never going back! :P

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
04-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah, don't like people enough any more for all that togetherness. Making my eye twitch just thinking about it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
04-12-2013, 03:15 PM
(04-12-2013 03:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yeah, don't like people enough any more for all that togetherness. Making my eye twitch just thinking about it.

All this socializing for the holiday is driving me nuts...a commune would be the end of me.Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
04-12-2013, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 03:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-12-2013 03:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  We aren't that much different. We just got more stuff to play with.

Girly just don't want to be a dick. Dunno why. Don't fucking matter why. Girly just don't want to be a dick. ... It's probably because Girly can be the biggest motherfucking dick on the goddam planet.

04-12-2013, 03:27 PM
(04-12-2013 02:59 PM)frankksj Wrote:  Actually here's a better way to ask it.

Girly's an egalitarian. Frankie ain't got a shit chance of changing that. ... Don't mean Girly don't like Frankie. Big Grin