Why do we have poor people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
RE: Why do we have poor people?
(04-12-2013 01:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 01:01 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So then how does a society implement, transition and regulate itself to close this gap? Is it a government responsibility, or an individual one? Both compassion and selfishness exist.

Taxation to dampen our greed. Tax relief to encourage our compassion.

Yabut, who's going to take the candy from the baby? Cuz with money comes power.

(04-12-2013 03:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Maybe we should all live in a commune, everyone shares everything. Problem solved.

And then we all drink the koolaid and die. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
They don't have enough money. And that's why they are poor.

So simple.
04-12-2013, 04:35 PM
(04-12-2013 04:07 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  They don't have enough money. And that's why they are poor.

So simple.
That's like answering the question "how did he/she die" with "his/her vital organs ceased to function."

You gave a description of the condition, not an explanation for its occurrence.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
04-12-2013, 04:46 PM
(04-12-2013 02:59 PM)frankksj Wrote:  Actually here's a better way to ask it.

Say you're a farmer in a poor community where there's no rich, and everybody's struggling to make ends meet. So you're 'average'.

Now you get a job offer to live and work in Beverly Hills. The job is roughly comparable to your current one, and you'll make more money and be able to afford a nicer home and send your kids to a better school, BUT you'll be surrounded by a bunch of very rich people, so you'll be among the poorest in that community living in the slums of Beverly Hills.

Would you take the job, and accept the inequality in your community, or prefer to stay in a more equal community?

I would take the job in a minute flat. I would take the crappiest job they had. I could care less if they had more than me. I am perfectly happy driving a cheap old car when my neighbor has a new Lamborghini. It doesn't bother me. It's not what happiness is about. If basic needs are fulfilled, getting happy and leading a full life has nothing to do with money. For all I care everyone around me can drown in it. People need to concentrate on their lives, not their money. Money is a survival tool.

I have been dirt poor with a sleeping bag, a toothbrush and a change of clothing to my name. It was a good time in my life, adventurous and exciting. I didn't know where the next meal would come from, but when it did come, it was glorious. And I have been on the opposite end, too, travelling first class and staying in 5 star hotels.

Which was a better time in my life? Very hard to say. They each had their high points and their low points.

I understand where you are coming from, Frankie, and in my youth I was in the streets protesting. But life showed me that money isn't it. It is the wrong thing to focus on when you want to make life better. It only matters when you starve or freeze. Beyond that, it is you, and only you, who makes your life enjoyable. The focus should be on teaching people coping mechanisms, and not making everyone's income the same.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
(04-12-2013 04:35 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 04:07 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  They don't have enough money. And that's why they are poor.

So simple.
That's like answering the question "how did he/she die" with "his/her vital organs ceased to function."

I'm aware it begs the question, I thought the italics accurately implied sarcasm.

Next time I'll Wink in according to Poe's law.
04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
(04-12-2013 04:57 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 04:35 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  That's like answering the question "how did he/she die" with "his/her vital organs ceased to function."

I'm aware it begs the question, I thought the italics accurately implied sarcasm.

That is unnecessary. I already consider you as a constructed character for trolling purposes and don't treat anything you say seriously. I only responded because I was bored.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
04-12-2013, 05:12 PM
(04-12-2013 05:04 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 04:57 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  I'm aware it begs the question, I thought the italics accurately implied sarcasm.

That is unnecessary. I already consider you as a constructed character for trolling purposes and don't treat anything you say seriously. I only responded because I was bored.

Yeah.... I was TBH full darp last month, and I really am not like that. I read some stupid Wikipedia article on the meaning of life, and was intrigued by the life is meaningless idea. Now I am thankfully regular again.
04-12-2013, 05:17 PM
(04-12-2013 05:12 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  Yeah.... I was TBH full darp last month, and I really am not like that. I read some stupid Wikipedia article on the meaning of life, and was intrigued by the life is meaningless idea. Now I am thankfully regular again.

Are ya? Drinking Beverage TTT

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-12-2013, 05:32 PM
- Lack of education (ie: not even getting High school education)
- Lack of willingness to better ones self and get out of their poverty situation
- Welfare. Welfare keeps people poor. Welfare can be good, but it needs to be managed better.
- Lack of ambition.
- Racism.
- History. ie: Blacks in America.
- Gangs. Gangs pressure younger people who in turn join gangs.
- Wages not keeping up with inflation.
- Businesses putting the burden of financial shitty situations on the customer and wages not keeping up.
- Fixed minimum wage and lack of unions.
- Because they expect everything to fall into their lap.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-12-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 09:26 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(04-12-2013 09:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  Simple question. Would be interested to hear people's reasons as to why we have poor people.

Because the switch on the poor people machine is stuck on 'on' and it just continues to crank 'em out.

Because poor people are buoyant so they didn't drown in the Noahcian Flood.

Because God is continuously entertained by Wal Mart folk tasering each other over an PS4 on Black Friday.

Because it's a secret jobs program for the makers of double wide trailers, Jerry Springer, and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Because the DoD needs fresh meat for the foreign war grinder.

Because who else is gonna squeegee your windshield, you fat fuck?

Even HIV needs a home.

Because rich liberals don't have enough things to feel guilty about.

Because jerkoff conservatives need someone to build their mansions on the backs of.

Those Laotian sweatshops don't run themselves, you know.

Because Brittney Spears and Snooki need to get laid.

Because they keep the back alleys of San Francisco smelling like fresh vomit and piss year round.

Because nothing says home quite like a cardboard refridgerator box under an overpass.

Because Mitt Romney needs something to hunt.

Because Mexican day laborers need someone to put out of business.

Because FOX News needs someone to hate.

Because Jesus needs friends.

Because they're the only reason that televangelists and state lotteries aren't bankrupt.

Because methadone clinics need business.

Because Vin Diesel needs fans (Sorry, that's an answer to the question 'Why are there stupid people?').

Because Democrats need a voter base.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post