Why do we have poor people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 09:20 PM
RE: Why do we have poor people?
It turns out the best way to make money is by scamming other people out of theirs. So...we built an economy around this concept and voila!

Haha joking...kinda.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 08:33 AM
A first page post was right on track in saying that there is no simple answer.

First off, we aren't even in agreement on defining the "poor" so without that we can't have a fair discussion.
Second, since when are nobel laurates infallible? Obama's one, his peace record surely isn't too great.
Third, a great deal has to do with the economy as a whole. right now the economy in the US fucking sucks and has sucked for 5 + years. As a result, those without power are taken advantage of. If the economy rebounds, the "poor" will see a rebound as well.
Fourth, in the US we already have enough wealth redistribution going on through taxes and other means. Don't be silly and suggest more.
Fifth, there is a culture fostering handouts emerging in the US. If this isn't curtailed soon, the US will be in a death spiral.
05-12-2013, 08:43 AM
What's this "we" shit? I don't have any poor people. Tongue

(04-12-2013 08:13 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Because Vin Diesel needs fans (Sorry, that's an answer to the question 'Why are there stupid people?').

The more you run yer neck, the less I like you. Angry

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Might I suggest that poor people exist for the following reasons (note: this is indeed a discussion for a large book, but I will summarize some points that may have not been covered):

-the economy is designed to account for success and failure, the rich are the winners
-religion continues to strongly influence poor folks, leading them to never question things
-scarcity of resources
-nepotism
-the emergence and economic dominance of the corporation
-lack of birth control usage, leading to WAY too many mouths to feed
-substance abuse
-crony capitalism (no longer a free market)
-generational government dependence

Just a few of the many things I can think of to explain the existence of poverty. I think scarcity and overpopulation are probably the most pressing issues.
08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
(04-12-2013 09:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  Simple question. Would be interested to hear people's reasons as to why we have poor people.
It depends.
1)some people are lazy
2)some people are not capable to improve their lives(illness for example)
3)some people don't have opportunity

Charity is the best way to help those who are poor.
It is good to give a fish to hungry.
But it is better to teach how to fish then hungry can get fish himself and be more self-reliant. It will make him more happy

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
09-12-2013, 05:29 AM
(04-12-2013 09:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  Simple question. Would be interested to hear people's reasons as to why we have poor people.

Because of selfishness and the adoration for the worldly things .
09-12-2013, 10:11 AM
(08-12-2013 04:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  
It depends.
1)some people are lazy
2)some people are not capable to improve their lives(illness for example)
3)some people don't have opportunity

Charity is the best way to help those who are poor.
It is good to give a fish to hungry.
But it is better to teach how to fish then hungry can get fish himself and be more self-reliant. It will make him more happy

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, give a man a fishing rod, and he will go down the market and swap it for a fish.

Some people just cant figure out how to fish Wink
Some people just cant be bothered to fish
some people just cant fish
Some people are vegetarian and wont eat the fish

How difficult is it to dig a garden, plant some seeds and eat what grows? how much does it cost?

Lets face it 'Poor' people are just plain lazy or stupid or both. 'working Class' people work bloody hard for little reward. 'middle class' people work hard for good reward sometimes well enough to get working class people to do the jobs for them. 'Rich' people have worked even harder in the past and now can employ middle class people and working class people to do their work for them.

(above applies to developed countries only)

Poor people in all developed countries should consider the truly poor people in the developing world. (and get off their fat, subsidised asses)
09-12-2013, 10:47 AM
(09-12-2013 10:11 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  ...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, give a man a fishing rod, and he will go down the market and swap it for a fish.

Give an 'Stralian a fishing rod and he'll spend all day in a boat drinking beer.

Angel

09-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
09-12-2013, 11:09 AM
(09-12-2013 10:50 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Shit!

So why the fuck are we trying to get rid of it?

:goes off to re-evaluate entire world view: