Why do we love dogs and cats so much?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Why do we love dogs and cats so much?
One of my cats, Cleo, is sitting near the keyboard, just being a cat. Why do I love my cats so much? My older cat is 17 and I help him out a lot because he's crotchety and getting grumpy these days. I love him though. Love dogs too. I think it's neat that the human animal loves other animals and have brought them into their homes. How cool it that!Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
07-10-2014, 12:56 PM
RE: Why do we love dogs and cats so much?
Because they are awesome

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
07-10-2014, 01:00 PM
I also think it's cool when animals rescue other animals of a different species.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
07-10-2014, 01:08 PM
I've always loved cats... I've had three since I was little. Its a complete myth that cats are solitary, and don't want to interact with you... I find that the more you interact with them, the more they bond with you. My cat follows me everywhere (not so much now since he hurt his leg)... If I don't pay attention he nibbles my knee. All I have to do is look at him and he goes all soppy...

There is a difference with female cats though... And I think that's where they get their reputation from. Every female cat I've known has been very solitary, and almost completely uninterested in human contact beyond feeding and shelter. I've found males on the other hand to be the complete opposite... Extremely affectionate, sociable, playful and seem to not only enjoy your company, but actively seek it out.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2014, 01:37 PM
I find animal enslavement (pet ownership) bittersweet. Unfortunately, these animals don't have much chance surviving in the wild, so we may as well give them the best life we can.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
07-10-2014, 01:41 PM
(07-10-2014 01:08 PM)Sam Wrote:  I've always loved cats... I've had three since I was little. Its a complete myth that cats are solitary, and don't want to interact with you... I find that the more you interact with them, the more they bond with you. My cat follows me everywhere (not so much now since he hurt his leg)... If I don't pay attention he nibbles my knee. All I have to do is look at him and he goes all soppy...

There is a difference with female cats though... And I think that's where they get their reputation from. Every female cat I've known has been very solitary, and almost completely uninterested in human contact beyond feeding and shelter. I've found males on the other hand to be the complete opposite... Extremely affectionate, sociable, playful and seem to not only enjoy your company, but actively seek it out.

My female cat, Cleo, is really affectionate. She's a lap cat. If I sit down she's right there on my lap. I haven't actually seen my lap in 6 years. I had a cat that loved to drape herself on my neck when I sat down. My boyfriend at the time wasn't too thrilled with the cat taking up space on my neck. On the plus side I never got a hickey! Thumbsup

07-10-2014, 01:44 PM
I grew up listening to the Just So Stories. "For I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me."

Was never allowed a pet as a kid, so now - in revenge - I have gone overboard. 4 dogs, 11 cats, 18 horses. I like each and every one of them better than most people I know. And they treat me better than most people I know, too.

I'm not sure who "owns" who at this point.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
07-10-2014, 01:48 PM
(07-10-2014 01:08 PM)Sam Wrote:  I've always loved cats... I've had three since I was little. Its a complete myth that cats are solitary, and don't want to interact with you... I find that the more you interact with them, the more they bond with you. My cat follows me everywhere (not so much now since he hurt his leg)... If I don't pay attention he nibbles my knee. All I have to do is look at him and he goes all soppy...

In general, yes, but there are many exceptions to that rule. I have had two female cats that were like dogs. One was feral and I found her deserted in the woods when she was a couple weeks old, and she loved me and accepted my husband and everyone else didn't exist or was an annoyance or a threat. She followed me everywhere, inside and out, and would attack people she considered a threat to me so I had to be careful not to raise my voice against anyone. The other one wasn't protective but also didn't care for other people.

Why do we love them so much? Because they give us completely unconditional love. Humans aren't very good at that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-10-2014, 01:51 PM
(07-10-2014 01:44 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I grew up listening to the Just So Stories. "For I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me."

Was never allowed a pet as a kid, so now - in revenge - I have gone overboard. 4 dogs, 11 cats, 18 horses. I like each and every one of them better than most people I know. And they treat me better than most people I know, too.

I'm not sure who "owns" who at this point.

18 horses?! 11 cats?! Do the horses interact with the dogs or cats?

[Image: Cat-and-Horse.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
(07-10-2014 01:00 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I also think it's cool when animals rescue other animals of a different species.

And feed them. This dog actually liked doing this according to his owners.

[Image: enhanced-buzz-6351-1380293609-23.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post