Why do we love dogs and cats so much?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 02:06 PM
RE: Why do we love dogs and cats so much?
We love them because they aren't humans. Humans are way too good at being shitty to each other.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM

That's why.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
How could you NOT love this?? Heart I love it when he gets all crazy chasing his tail Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
07-10-2014, 04:49 PM
(07-10-2014 01:44 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I grew up listening to the Just So Stories. "For I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me."

Was never allowed a pet as a kid, so now - in revenge - I have gone overboard. 4 dogs, 11 cats, 18 horses. I like each and every one of them better than most people I know. And they treat me better than most people I know, too.

I'm not sure who "owns" who at this point.

OK, I feel a lot better about my seven cats. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-10-2014, 04:56 PM
(07-10-2014 01:37 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I find animal enslavement (pet ownership) bittersweet. Unfortunately, these animals don't have much chance surviving in the wild, so we may as well give them the best life we can.

If anyone or anything is a slave around this house, it's me. My critters live the life. Fed, cleaned up after, veterinary care, piles of toys, spa days, a big yard to romp in, only the best food and treats, and tons and tons of love and affection. I should be so lucky. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-10-2014, 05:05 PM
(07-10-2014 01:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:44 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I grew up listening to the Just So Stories. "For I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me."

Was never allowed a pet as a kid, so now - in revenge - I have gone overboard. 4 dogs, 11 cats, 18 horses. I like each and every one of them better than most people I know. And they treat me better than most people I know, too.

I'm not sure who "owns" who at this point.

18 horses?! 11 cats?! Do the horses interact with the dogs or cats?

[Image: Cat-and-Horse.jpg]

Eight of the cats live in the barn with the horses. I haven't caught any of them riding, but they do share water buckets and sleep in the hay. The dogs stay around the house because cats who run are fair game, apparently. Dodgy

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
07-10-2014, 05:06 PM
What do ya mean we? Smile
07-10-2014, 05:09 PM
For most animals, the more love and affection you give them, the more love and affection they are likely to give back. They don't judge, condescend, or slight anyone. They are literally incapable of true cruelty or malice. They have distinct personalities, not unlike peoples. We enjoy their joy for life, their sense of discovery, their little trials and day-to-day going ons. They are completely innocent and blameless, without any of the complexity or trappings of people. Moreover, it is in our cumulative human nature to love and nurture, and animal let us do that without reprisal.

I think the reasons we love cats and dogs best is because, through many thousands of years of domestication, they have personalities and temperaments well suited for human companionship. There is also some interesting theories that suppose that dogs and cats have facial symmetry very similar to human infants. Lots of animals though (at least most mammals) share many of these characteristics. Horses used to be more prominent in culture, but more recently less people own horses, so our culture is less enamored with them. Sheep, goats, donkeys and mules, cows, pigs, chickens, or most any other domestic animals all make for good pets.
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
(07-10-2014 04:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:37 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I find animal enslavement (pet ownership) bittersweet. Unfortunately, these animals don't have much chance surviving in the wild, so we may as well give them the best life we can.

If anyone or anything is a slave around this house, it's me. My critters live the life. Fed, cleaned up after, veterinary care, piles of toys, spa days, a big yard to romp in, only the best food and treats, and tons and tons of love and affection. I should be so lucky. Dodgy
Hah, well I'm conflicted. I don't like (conceptually) confining them, or removing their body parts without permission. But I understand that they are often better off because of it. And I understand all the benefits to humans from animal ownership. Still, sometimes when I see people walking their dog, I picture a scene from planet of the apes where the apes have their humans chained up.

But at the same time I want a dog or a cat someday. It's just a "state of the world" kind of thing to me I guess.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
07-10-2014, 05:47 PM
(07-10-2014 05:28 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 04:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If anyone or anything is a slave around this house, it's me. My critters live the life. Fed, cleaned up after, veterinary care, piles of toys, spa days, a big yard to romp in, only the best food and treats, and tons and tons of love and affection. I should be so lucky. Dodgy
Hah, well I'm conflicted. I don't like (conceptually) confining them, or removing their body parts without permission. But I understand that they are often better off because of it. And I understand all the benefits to humans from animal ownership. Still, sometimes when I see people walking their dog, I picture a scene from planet of the apes where the apes have their humans chained up.

But at the same time I want a dog or a cat someday. It's just a "state of the world" kind of thing to me I guess.

You overthink this, I think. Our dog Lady is a rescue. We have had her about seven years. She and two litter mates were found in a box in a Walmart parking lot. I don't know of the fate of the mother. All the pups were sick and the little boy did not survive. I think I am pretty safe in assuming that she has had, and will continue to have, a good life here especially considering her rocky start. She is the Alpha female of this pack. And she has been mom to every animal that's ever been in this house.

My cat was found in the street and turned in to a shelter. He was almost small enough to fit in the palm of my hand when I got him. Had he not been rescued he surely would have been killed by coyotes or even one of the many hawks around here. He also is having a much better life tormenting the dogs and lounging in the windowsills around here.

We even have a parrot that's a rescue.

If you decide to get a pet and you struggle with the whole concept, maybe saving a stray will put your mind at ease. If not, maybe pets aren't for you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post