Why do we protect endangered animals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 04:36 PM
RE: Why do we protect endangered animals?
Why do we value museums?

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 04:46 PM
"So he took some soil from the ground and formed all the animals and all the birds. Then he brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and that is how they all got their names." - Genesis 2:19,20
"So God created human beings, making them to be like himself. He created them male and female, blessed them, and said, 'Have many children, so that your descendants will live all over the earth and bring it under their control. I am putting you in charge of the fish, the birds, and all the wild animals.'" - Genesis 1:27,28

Cause God said so...oh, wait...wrong forum...my bad.

Wink

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
18-04-2012, 08:36 PM
(12-04-2012 04:35 AM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  In theory, protecting endangered species is considered as against nature, as that you are fighting against natural selection.
however, sending a sick child to hospital and have an operation to correct some inherited disease is pretty much the same thing, I guess im not go into that.

However, I do like to ask - Why do we protect endangered animals?

This is not like protecting the rainforest, I mean protecting rainforest have positive impact on our life, so we get more oxygen and those craps. However, an endangered specie that is completely useless towards us in every single way - why protecting them?

Like the Giant Panda - these animals stoped evolving minions of years ago due to small changes in their habitat, I consider them lucky enough to live to this very day. Their specie is weak, and without the minions of money every year from outside aids and the government, the giant panda gonna die in a blink. We spent fortunes to maintain the existence of a neglected specie of nature. Why?

In comparison, if those money were sent to the children of where Panda lives (Szechuan Mountain area is still a poverty zone, and peoples life quality were still like pre-modern time, no electricity, gas, or running water, no road for many villages, travel up to 24 hours to reach hospital, walk 3 miles for school etc etc) , for education, transport, medical attention and food aids (many children still suffers from malnutrition especially in protein, and this have devastating effect as that most Szechuanese girls have no boobs and boys possibly have small penis, which I dont care, small penis wont affect my visual happiness). The life quality of the people would greatly improve which have way better actual impact on our society.

Which would you prefer, few dumb bears (despite they are not quiet in bear family) or millions of people gets electricity, running water, good road for transport, education, medical services, food aid, prettier women, etc etc

Im sure anyone would agree to money to the people. However, humanity is so stupid, that actually most of the world would prefer to save the fcking panda. I mean, why?

Easy - Pandas are cute, they are furry and they are cute (yes, but have you seen when panda hunt people? You give a cuddly image to panda but in reality they still hunt other animal and will attack people to take a juicy bite. dont forgot, they still bears... of some kind)

So, this is the awnser of humanity, rather save some fluffy animal than your fellow homo-sapiens race.

I mean what impact does the Giant Panda really do on our life? You just gonna say, oooh, they cute, and thats it... (except Chinese Government sell them to foreign zoo for fortune ofc...)
This was such a rhetorically stupid post. I don't even...

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
21-04-2012, 11:17 AM
As much as I like george carlin, I am going to have to side with the environment. Its not about arrogantly protecting the earth, but to keep it in a state that can maintain life as we know it. This rock will be around another 4 billion years, but at the rate we are trashing it up it won't be able to support as much life.
22-04-2012, 05:18 PM
We do this out of a sense of guilt as we have caused much habitat destruction.
We also do this because we have decided that it is just the right thing to do.
We don't need any of the endangered animals. Humans can survive just fine with what we've domesticated.
As things are going our great grandchildren will probably only see the wild animals in zoos or special parks.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
23-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Hey, Thomas.

Quote:We don't need any of the endangered animals. Humans can survive just fine with what we've domesticated.

That's actually demonstrably false. The science is clear. Diversity is an absolute necessity for ecosystem health. The biosphere is our life support machine and we're yanking wires out of it.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-04-2012, 08:12 PM
(23-04-2012 06:11 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Thomas.

Quote:We don't need any of the endangered animals. Humans can survive just fine with what we've domesticated.

That's actually demonstrably false. The science is clear. Diversity is an absolute necessity for ecosystem health. The biosphere is our life support machine and we're yanking wires out of it.

Matt

I'll disagree. The empirical data is clear. The bioscience projections are simply pretense of knowledge.
Many regions have lost all the top predators and that is what we are talking about. Not the rats and cockroaches.
The human race still expands and will so to about 9 billion. We will crowd out ALL the top mammals on the planet.
The biosphere will continue to function and humanity will alter every region to suit its needs.
I'll bet you my lunch money for tomorrow.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
25-04-2012, 03:54 AM
It's a matter of choice.

Humans have the choice of destroying species, but we seen the benefit of keeping them around. Another animal may keep destroying until a rival is wiped out and not miss that rival a generation down the line. However humans have the capacity to stop destruction and turn that species into a vassal, as a vassal is more use to us than the extinction of that species.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2012, 06:02 AM
(25-04-2012 03:54 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  It's a matter of choice.

Humans have the choice of destroying species, but we seen the benefit of keeping them around. Another animal may keep destroying until a rival is wiped out and not miss that rival a generation down the line. However humans have the capacity to stop destruction and turn that species into a vassal, as a vassal is more use to us than the extinction of that species.
I addressed this part of natural extinction. Usually, natural extinction is a long process. Long enough for mother nature to adjust accordingly. Human beings rapidly cause animals to go extinct.

If we wanted, we can wipe out an entire species in probably a decade.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
25-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Hey, Thomas.

It's my belief that pretty much everything you just said is wrong. Such is life.

EO Wilson is recognised as a world leader in biology. In his book "The Future of Life" he neatly outlines the perils of the loss of diversity. Particularly when he talks about HIPPO. He's not the only biologist saying that. David Suzuki has been a long-time champion of biodiversity. The scientific arguments they, and others, have presented are well documented and peer-reviewed. If you can show me some evidence that proves they're wrong and you're right, I'd be happy to look at it. Until then, I stand by everything I've said in this thread.

Matt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Owning Animals BrokenQuill92 16 703 05-09-2013 07:01 AM
Last Post: Juv