Why do we treat poor people like children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 11:05 AM
RE: Why do we treat poor people like children?
(04-03-2014 01:23 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 12:36 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I think western society is missing something. I mean we produce more per person these days compared to 50 or 60 years ago and way more compared to the preindustrial era. I'm under the impression that we were working toward a better life. Sure we have wonderful toys and awesome medicine and that's great but what about more leisure and less hours labouring. There are plenty of resources to go around to make all of us comfortable and If we reduced our work week to say 10 hours there'd be a chance that we could all contribute while gaining enough wealth to live in style and dignity and having a fuckload of fun doing it. Sounds like communism but it ain't!

You can work zero hours a week in the West and live better than kings of old, if liesure time is what you value most. The combination of SSI, SNAP, section 8, and medicaid, will provide you with that. ...or you can be a luckt spoiled rich kid. That also get's you that plus a lot of cool toys and attractive lovers.

Sorry, Toad, but you are raising the battle cry against the smallest percentage of people. You wanna be upset at entitlements, those who receive approximately 90% of those entitlements and continue to receive them long beyond anything they have "paid into" the system? Then be upset at Seniors and those on disability. Social Security and Medicare - not medicaid - accounts for 90% of entitlement spending. The difference mentally is that those recipients of social security have "paid into" the system while they were working. The problem is that they outlive those contributions. By a lot. Social Security is not an investment, its a ponzi scheme. Medicare is paying out a million fold more than medicaid. You wanna be upset at something? Be upset that medicare covers the costs of penis pumps and other nonessential medical treatments.

Because to be upset about a small percentage of poor people receiving benefits pales in comparison to the amount of mooching grandma is doing. Just saying'....

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
04-03-2014, 11:12 AM
(04-03-2014 02:42 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you want the minimum wage raised, Libertarianism is not for you -- they are hellbent on destroying economic regulation.

Trust me. I am no libertarian. Yuck.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
04-03-2014, 11:34 AM
SSI and medicare ? really? Might want to get educated as to why that system is failing, and it has nothing to do with grandma or grandpa getting more then they paid in. Thank the politicians that borrowed from SS and put in IOU's, because there was a huge surplus in funds. Now those politicos are all gone......so whats a poor fucked up government to do.... well, call us old folks, leaches.

The money that goes out a month to every retired person, doesnt add up to 1 presidental vaction. Angry

"The government’s $2.5 trillion debt to Social Security is the real reason that so many politicians want to cut benefits. They are trying to find a way to avoid having to repay the looted money…. Given the fact that much of the surplus revenue from the 1983 payroll tax hike ended up in the pockets of the super rich in the form of income tax cuts, I propose a special tax on this group of taxpayers to recoup the missing Social Security money. The government used revenue from the Social Security payroll tax hike to fund tax cuts for the rich because that was where the money was. I think the government should recover the ‘embezzled’ money by taxing the rich.”

From;
http://ampedstatus.org/how-your-social-s...urplus-go/

Nothing new about this, and many more citations can be found within minutes.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
04-03-2014, 11:38 AM
(04-03-2014 11:12 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 02:42 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you want the minimum wage raised, Libertarianism is not for you -- they are hellbent on destroying economic regulation.

Trust me. I am no libertarian. Yuck.

I don't think libertarianism is good on a economical stand point but socially it is the way to go in my opinion. Aside from making sure I'm not hurting anyone the government needs to stay the fuck out of my personal life! If I want to smoke crack(not that I do) thats my business!
04-03-2014, 11:40 AM
(04-03-2014 10:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  [L]ikewise, the forum is moderated by Internet fairies.

Wait, what?

When did we put Muffs in charge?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
04-03-2014, 11:44 AM
(04-03-2014 10:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Moreover, I would like to address your comment about freeloading if given the opportunity.

When I lost my job, I got SNAP... About $700 a month. I only used it to buy food. I also got it for 6 months. When I got a job, I reported it and lost my food stamps. I could have just not said anything and gotten my full 6 months that I was entitled to, but I didn't. Because I didn't need it. Someone else did.

So, just by my example, your statement is false. So, you are wrong. Man up.

Ok, I'm wrong. Institutions like this are full of shit. There is no need for policies to abate the free rider problem, because no such problem exists in the first place. Happy?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
04-03-2014, 11:49 AM
(04-03-2014 11:44 AM)toadaly Wrote:  Ok, I'm wrong. Institutions like this are full of shit. There is no need for policies to abate the free rider problem, because no such problem exists in the first place. Happy?

wut.

No, see, nobody said that never happened (lol straw man), but you were the one who said the impulse was endemic and universal...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
(04-03-2014 11:49 AM)cjlr Wrote:  wut.

No, see, nobody said that never happened (lol straw man), but you were the one who said the impulse was endemic and universal...

It's a big enough problem to require abatement. I never said *everyone* takes things for free when they can, nor did I say it was universal or endemic Mr Strawman, I generalized and said most will take things for free when there is no cost to them.

I concede I failed to support it. The end.

Now anyone who wants to claim it isn't true is free to post all the studies they want to show how taxes are unnecessary, and that governments could function just fine on a voluntary donation based system.

04-03-2014, 12:56 PM
(04-03-2014 12:52 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Now anyone who wants to claim it isn't true is free to post all the studies they want to show how taxes are unnecessary, and that governments could function just fine on a voluntary donation based system.

I don't think people where challenging this. Maybe I'm wrong?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-03-2014, 01:46 PM
(04-03-2014 12:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 12:52 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Now anyone who wants to claim it isn't true is free to post all the studies they want to show how taxes are unnecessary, and that governments could function just fine on a voluntary donation based system.

I don't think people where challenging this. Maybe I'm wrong?

It's just a possible example of how it might be shown that most people will not ride free if they can.

There are 138 million taxpayers in the US, for example,, and the population is roughly 300 million. If you take the position that most people would not be free riders if taxation were not compulsory, then you'd end up with 150 million+ donators. This is larger than the number of current taxpayers, so making it voluntary instead of compulsory aught to work just fine. Right?