Why do we treat poor people like children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 02:12 PM
RE: Why do we treat poor people like children?
(04-03-2014 11:34 AM)War Horse Wrote:  SSI and medicare ? really? Might want to get educated as to why that system is failing, and it has nothing to do with grandma or grandpa getting more then they paid in. Thank the politicians that borrowed from SS and put in IOU's, because there was a huge surplus in funds. Now those politicos are all gone......so whats a poor fucked up government to do.... well, call us old folks, leaches.

The money that goes out a month to every retired person, doesnt add up to 1 presidental vaction. Angry

"The government’s $2.5 trillion debt to Social Security is the real reason that so many politicians want to cut benefits. They are trying to find a way to avoid having to repay the looted money…. Given the fact that much of the surplus revenue from the 1983 payroll tax hike ended up in the pockets of the super rich in the form of income tax cuts, I propose a special tax on this group of taxpayers to recoup the missing Social Security money. The government used revenue from the Social Security payroll tax hike to fund tax cuts for the rich because that was where the money was. I think the government should recover the ‘embezzled’ money by taxing the rich.”

From;
http://ampedstatus.org/how-your-social-s...urplus-go/

Nothing new about this, and many more citations can be found within minutes.

War, absolutely. Its unfair to say it was "stolen" from you though. SS is not an investment. Its not your money. Its a ponzi scheme.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3677

"The claim behind these critiques is clear: federal spending on entitlements and other mandatory programs through which individuals receive benefits is promoting laziness, creating a dependent class of Americans who are losing the desire to work and would rather collect government benefits than find a job.
Such beliefs are starkly at odds with the basic facts regarding social programs, the analysis finds. Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percentof the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.
[Image: 2-10-12bud-f1.jpg]

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 02:40 PM
(04-03-2014 02:12 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  War, absolutely. Its unfair to say it was "stolen" from you though. SS is not an investment. Its not your money. Its a ponzi scheme.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3677

"The claim behind these critiques is clear: federal spending on entitlements and other mandatory programs through which individuals receive benefits is promoting laziness, creating a dependent class of Americans who are losing the desire to work and would rather collect government benefits than find a job.
Such beliefs are starkly at odds with the basic facts regarding social programs, the analysis finds. Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percentof the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.
[Image: 2-10-12bud-f1.jpg]

We can go back and forth citing references, but the money was not ever meant to be taken by politicians to prop up their sweetheart deals.

They took the money out of my paycheck, over which I had no control, and were suppose to invest it in future 'help' with retirement. Had I been able to invest the money myself, I would have no one to blame but myself as to the outcome.

But thats not the case, is it?

Think of all the people that paid into SS and died before ever collecting one red cent... the system was working great untill the surplus money in the fund got to much for the greedy fucks in Washington to keep their hands of off.

Entitlement my ass... they took my money for years and years, used it for their pleasure and now say, oops, to bad, none left for you.

Fuck that train of thought. Assholes are trying to hurt the very people that can least afford it, and they know that there wont be much of a fight when it comes to grandmas living on a can of dog food a day. Fuck that shit, I paid my dues, and now its their turn to step up to the plate. Angry

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
04-03-2014, 07:28 PM
(01-03-2014 10:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Generally speaking, that's true. However, there are a lot of people dependent on welfare who are so because of a tendency to make poor decisions regarding their resources. By limiting their use of welfare to those resources that are the most important to survival, it not only helps one survive but also gives further incentive to the recipient to do what they can to better their situation through means of their own.

The system isn't perfect, and abuse happens. I'm not sure why you'd advocate making the abuse easier.

If the goal of the program is to minimize abuse and keep people from starving to death, there are much better ways. For instance instead of issuing food stamps the US government could simply mail the needy tasteless but nutritionally complete pressed food pucks. Since these would have little to no value other than to people who don't have food, they wouldn't be able to be converted into diapers or drugs(as is happening now).

The goal of the program is to better the lives of the needy while exercising control over them....cause as we all know poor people are dumb stupid people who need their lives governed by the liberal elite.....wrong!

Just give them money and let them enjoy the same freedom the non-needy enjoy.
04-03-2014, 07:38 PM
(04-03-2014 02:42 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you want the minimum wage raised, Libertarianism is not for you -- they are hellbent on destroying economic regulation.

This is untrue.

Libertarians favor economic regulations or government involvement in the market that eliminates externalities.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
04-03-2014, 09:27 PM
(04-03-2014 07:28 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  For instance instead of issuing food stamps the US government could simply mail the needy tasteless but nutritionally complete pressed food pucks. Since these would have little to no value other than to people who don't have food, they wouldn't be able to be converted into diapers or drugs(as is happening now).

You are a stupid, simple fuck aren't you?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-03-2014, 10:21 PM
(04-03-2014 09:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 07:28 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  For instance instead of issuing food stamps the US government could simply mail the needy tasteless but nutritionally complete pressed food pucks. Since these would have little to no value other than to people who don't have food, they wouldn't be able to be converted into diapers or drugs(as is happening now).

You are a stupid, simple fuck aren't you?

No, I just disagree with the premise that the goal of the program is to feed people while minimizing abuse.
04-03-2014, 10:30 PM
(04-03-2014 07:28 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If the goal of the program is to minimize abuse and keep people from starving to death, there are much better ways. For instance instead of issuing food stamps the US government could simply mail the needy tasteless but nutritionally complete pressed food pucks. Since these would have little to no value other than to people who don't have food, they wouldn't be able to be converted into diapers or drugs(as is happening now).

There's a buyer for anything with utility. Food pucks could be sold to health nuts and dieters. I know you meant this in jest, but I kind of like the idea. No-one suffers deprivation, and they are essentially forced to eat healthy, it would be a lot cheaper, and it provides an incentive to get off the dole. Food pucks sound awesome. Where might I find said puck of sustenance?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
04-03-2014, 11:03 PM
(04-03-2014 10:21 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 09:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You are a stupid, simple fuck aren't you?

No, I just disagree with the premise that the goal of the program is to feed people while minimizing abuse.

I fail to see how providing a basic human need to those who can't afford it themselves while attempting to minimize the potential abuse of the program qualifies as "control".

There are many ways that the system "controls" the poor population. I just don't see this as one of them.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-03-2014, 11:11 PM
(04-03-2014 10:30 PM)toadaly Wrote:  There's a buyer for anything with utility. Food pucks could be sold to health nuts and dieters. I know you meant this in jest, but I kind of like the idea. No-one suffers deprivation, and they are essentially forced to eat healthy, it would be a lot cheaper, and it provides an incentive to get off the dole. Food pucks sound awesome. Where might I find said puck of sustenance?

When I wrote that post the only other utility I envisioned for food pucks is fuel for a wood stove or fire place.
04-03-2014, 11:45 PM
(04-03-2014 11:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 10:30 PM)toadaly Wrote:  There's a buyer for anything with utility. Food pucks could be sold to health nuts and dieters. I know you meant this in jest, but I kind of like the idea. No-one suffers deprivation, and they are essentially forced to eat healthy, it would be a lot cheaper, and it provides an incentive to get off the dole. Food pucks sound awesome. Where might I find said puck of sustenance?

When I wrote that post the only other utility I envisioned for food pucks is fuel for a wood stove or fire place.

The more I think about food pucks, the more I feel I simply must have some. Sadly, after a bit of googling, I don't think they exist. But really, they sound awesome. Someone is going to do this for real.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.