Why do we treat poor people like children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 01:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 01:27 AM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: Why do we treat poor people like children?
(28-02-2014 10:42 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm saying give poor people cash instead of food stamps. Let them be free to choose to purchase what they want just like everyone else is. Stop treating them like children just because they are poor. Stop wasting tax dollars on a bureaucracy needed to administer and police food stamps.

As stated, the "market" for targeting foodstamps and recipients is low if you can only get basic necessities. When it now essentially becomes cash, the amount of theft and corruption will sky rocket. That would require greater policing and oversight which will increase the "bureaucracy" which you hate.

The entire country doesn't get foodstamp with only the poor being singled out. These are rules for all recipients. Rules because it's a program designed for a very specific cause - money for food.

If you want to argue for a basic income that can be used for whatever, argue that instead.

(28-02-2014 10:42 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Are you suggesting that poor people are incapable of protecting themselves from theft or corruption?

Yes. Hence being impoverished. The poor class don't have the financial capital, or political capital to have their voices heard, spear head change, and put forward mechanism for protection. They are the most scapegoated, and underpowered class of people anywhere. And so, the most abused.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 01:31 AM
(28-02-2014 08:45 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm in Walmart. The couple in front of me make two transactions. One for food that they pay with food stamps, and another for all the stuff they can't buy with food stamps...this one they pay in cash. Why not just give the couple cash instead of food stamps? Why do we take this attitude that poor people are incapable of making good decisions?

I have to wonder how they paid in 'food stamps', since such things have not existed for quite some time. SNAP is in the form of a card, designed to be discrete. The only way you would know they were using it, is if they announced it loudly (in which case they don't care that others know), or if you were being overly nosey.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post
01-03-2014, 01:36 AM
(28-02-2014 09:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Yes but you don't feel the need to regulate the choices rich and middle class people make when they go to the supermarket...even though you know some will make poor ones.

Why single out the poor?

...because they didn't earn it themselves you dolt. I am forced to pay taxes to help support these people. Since it's not a free voluntary gift, but taken by force, I'm going to use the political system to at least try to make sure it's not being wasted. There are enough people like me, such that "food stamps" is just for food.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough people like mewhp want SSI to be only for housing, utilities, clothing, and public transportation, so that does end up being cash.

01-03-2014, 01:41 AM
(01-03-2014 01:36 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 09:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Yes but you don't feel the need to regulate the choices rich and middle class people make when they go to the supermarket...even though you know some will make poor ones.

Why single out the poor?

...because they didn't earn it themselves you dolt. I am forced to pay taxes to help support these people. Since it's not a free voluntary gift, but taken by force, I'm going to use the political system to at least try to make sure it's not being wasted. There are enough people like me, such that "food stamps" is just for food.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough people like mewhp want SSI to be only for housing, utilities, clothing, and public transportation, so that does end up being cash.

There was a time when food stamps only allowed the basic essentials. Milk, flour, stuff to make food from (you know, the kind you actually cook). I've seen people buy pizza for pizza parties, candy, etc. If you gave them cash, no doubt someone would go out and use them for cigarettes or whatever else they wanted.

I'm not saying food stamps or bad, or people on them are bad. But there are always going to be people who exploit the system. when they can.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
01-03-2014, 02:07 AM
(01-03-2014 01:41 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I'm not saying food stamps or bad, or people on them are bad. But there are always going to be people who exploit the system. when they can.

That would be almost everyone. If it were cost free, we'd all be free riders. It's human nature.

01-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Most poor people are poor for a reason, and when poor people complain within the borders of America, it can be seen as sickening because they have the undoubted ability to lift themselves from poverty (this opportunity is rare elsewhere).

When the impoverished are being payed by the well-off to merely live, a large problem begins to arise, being that there is no incentive for the impoverished to better there position within America, because they are fine with living and all of the things they have.

Poverty within America is a phone, a television, internet, and clothes, while poverty in other countries is nothing but misery.
01-03-2014, 09:47 AM
So you're saying you want tax dollars to go towards poor people (who are poor for a reason, mind you) in the form of cash?

If they need fucking food, they get fucking food, but they cannot receive money and do as they wish, because they have already proved to be inefficient in such areas.
01-03-2014, 09:51 AM
(01-03-2014 02:07 AM)toadaly Wrote:  That would be almost everyone. If it were cost free, we'd all be free riders. It's human nature.

Citation needed.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
01-03-2014, 09:54 AM
(28-02-2014 09:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 09:36 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Some people (not just poor people) are incapable of making good decision. Even if most people make good decisions, those that do not end up taking from people who do. The rules and accountability in the program are intended to prevent waste, abuse, and fraud.

Yes but you don't feel the need to regulate the choices rich and middle class people make when they go to the supermarket...even though you know some will make poor ones.

Why single out the poor? Why does every poor person have to be treated like a child just to prevent a few poor people from making bad choices? Why do I have wait longer in line so that the poor person can do two transactions...one with food stamps for the Margarita mix and the other with cash for the Jose Cuervo tequila? Wouldn't eliminating food stamps and the bureaucracy that goes with it save a lot of resources?

It is not singling out the poor, it is singling out the recipients of food stamps.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
(01-03-2014 09:45 AM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  Poverty within America is a phone, a television, internet, and clothes, while poverty in other countries is nothing but misery.

I saw a study that added up all the freebies you get if you are professionally poor. It adds up to $38k per year in value, which puts you in the top 1.5% world wide and better off than many people who are working to support your life of liesure.