Why do we treat poor people like children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 03:04 PM
RE: Why do we treat poor people like children?
No doubt that there is gross abuse in the system, but, I was on foodstamps (EBT) for a short period of time when things all went south for us. But we stretched the dollars to buy as much food as possible.... no junk or expensive stuff.

What got me was items like toilet paper werent covered and some other necessities, but the minute I got right with the world, I called in and cancelled the assistance. Steaks werent on the menu as that would of ment that 3 other more important items couldnt be bought.

Just pointing out that not everyone is a lazy slob living of the welfare dollar, not to mention that for many years I was the one supporting that same system.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 03:25 PM
(01-03-2014 11:01 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  More than you. Not only have I made monetary contributions but I volunteer my free time to moderate it.

Still, there is a real cost related to running it, and you are not chipping in in those terms. You are more than happy to accept these free services, as am I and almost everyone else posting here. So at the same time you are demanding I provide some kind of citation that humans happily accept things offered at no cost, while you are right here doing it along with me and most of the rest of the posters.

But ok, that's not a scientific study. So how were you planning to compensate me for the effort of finding you a citation that you find satisfactory?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
01-03-2014, 03:28 PM
(01-03-2014 11:24 AM)cjlr Wrote:  We may note here that "we would all be free riders" is not equivalent to what you just now said, "we would take what's offered us".

So there's that.

They were used in the same sentence to make clear the intent. I still don't know what you're asking me to cite.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
01-03-2014, 03:28 PM
(28-02-2014 10:37 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 09:52 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  If druggies could get cash instead of food stamps, they wouldn't be buying food.

When druggies get food stamps and wish to purchase drugs, they find creative and often wasteful ways to convert them into cash. It is not unheard of for druggies to buy bottled water, dump out the water, and redeem the bottle for the deposit. Then they can go buy a bottle of hand sanitizer and drink that.

Why would they do that? They can just pull their grandma's grocery list off the fridge and offer to run to the store for her...

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
01-03-2014, 03:31 PM
(01-03-2014 03:25 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 11:01 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  More than you. Not only have I made monetary contributions but I volunteer my free time to moderate it.

Still, there is a real cost related to running it, and you are not chipping in in those terms. You are more than happy to accept these free services, as am I and almost everyone else posting here. So at the same time you are demanding I provide some kind of citation that humans happily accept things offered at no cost, while you are right here doing it along with me and most of the rest of the posters.

But ok, that's not a scientific study. So how were you planning to compensate me for the effort of finding you a citation that you find satisfactory?

Did you not see where I said I donated Money? Plus last time I looked but helping to run a forum as a mod is providing a service. You clearly have thought about this as much as you have all your other political stances you have put forth on this forum. Not at all.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-03-2014, 03:33 PM
(01-03-2014 03:28 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 11:24 AM)cjlr Wrote:  We may note here that "we would all be free riders" is not equivalent to what you just now said, "we would take what's offered us".

So there's that.

They were used in the same sentence to make clear the intent. I still don't know what you're asking me to cite.

"Everyone will be a free rider if they can be".

That's one hell of a bald assertion.

... this is my signature!
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
I get food stamps for my youngest daughter. My income qualifies me for like $700 a month in food stamps but I only applied for my youngest daughter because my ex husband doesn't pay child support for her. I try to be very frugal with food shopping and if I need diapers I am not ashamed of buying a friend some food and letting them buy me some diapers. I don't see an issue with people getting government assistance. I see an issue with people who don't realize that it's supposed to be temporary. You're supposed to get your shit together and then stop getting them, not say oh I guess I don't need to get my shit together since now I can get stuff for free.
Also, Anjele, I have seen people like that and I hate that attitude, but I don't think they represent the majority of people getting assistance.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
(01-03-2014 03:38 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I get food stamps for my youngest daughter.

YOU WORTHLESS TAKER LEECHING SCUM

... this is my signature!
01-03-2014, 03:42 PM
PS toadaly, you are wrong. I could easily be a free loader. I could take that $700 in food stamps and get free housing and the state would pay my light bill. I could live for free with no work for the rest of my life. But I want to be proud of my life and myself. I don't want to walk around with my head hanging in shame. Most people would not be free loaders even if they could.

[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
(01-03-2014 03:38 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 03:38 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I get food stamps for my youngest daughter.

YOU WORTHLESS TAKER LEECHING SCUM

I hope that was a joke.