Why do we treat poor people like children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 03:53 PM
RE: Why do we treat poor people like children?
(01-03-2014 03:38 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I get food stamps for my youngest daughter. My income qualifies me for like $700 a month in food stamps but I only applied for my youngest daughter because my ex husband doesn't pay child support for her. I try to be very frugal with food shopping and if I need diapers I am not ashamed of buying a friend some food and letting them buy me some diapers. I don't see an issue with people getting government assistance. I see an issue with people who don't realize that it's supposed to be temporary. You're supposed to get your shit together and then stop getting them, not say oh I guess I don't need to get my shit together since now I can get stuff for free.
Also, Anjele, I have seen people like that and I hate that attitude, but I don't think they represent the majority of people getting assistance.

I also don't think they represent the majority. But when you are struggling and not receiving assistance it's really frustrating and memorable when you see those that are blatantly abusing the system. I have no grudge with needing and accepting assistance; but like you said, it's not supposed to be your financial plan forever.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-03-2014, 04:01 PM
L&I, sorry to hear about the deadbeat dad...been there and done that too. My younger daughter was just contacted by her daughter's father because he got picked up on a warrant for not paying child support. He was raising hell thinking she had turned him in...uh, no, dumb ass...after nearly a year the county decided to pick up him up-again. He should know the drill it happens every few months.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
01-03-2014, 04:13 PM
(01-03-2014 03:44 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 03:38 PM)cjlr Wrote:  YOU WORTHLESS TAKER LEECHING SCUM

I hope that was a joke.

Yes.

Yes it was.

... this is my signature!
01-03-2014, 04:50 PM
(28-02-2014 08:45 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm in Walmart. The couple in front of me make two transactions. One for food that they pay with food stamps, and another for all the stuff they can't buy with food stamps...this one they pay in cash. Why not just give the couple cash instead of food stamps? Why do we take this attitude that poor people are incapable of making good decisions?

Because every one of us is better than you.
01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
(01-03-2014 04:13 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 03:44 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I hope that was a joke.

Yes.

Yes it was.

Needed a smiley. Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-03-2014, 06:09 PM
(01-03-2014 03:38 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I get food stamps for my youngest daughter. My income qualifies me for like $700 a month in food stamps but I only applied for my youngest daughter because my ex husband doesn't pay child support for her. I try to be very frugal with food shopping and if I need diapers I am not ashamed of buying a friend some food and letting them buy me some diapers. I don't see an issue with people getting government assistance. I see an issue with people who don't realize that it's supposed to be temporary. You're supposed to get your shit together and then stop getting them, not say oh I guess I don't need to get my shit together since now I can get stuff for free.

Technically, you've committed fraud.

I don't hold it against you because I think you the individual and not some government bureaucrat is in the best position to determine what your family needs and what it doesn't. I wonder how many hours end up wasted by people trying to convert food stamps into something they need....like diapers.

Its a shame that you have to be treated like a child...told what you can and cannot buy just because you are poor. Its a shame that the majority of hard working honest poor people have to be deemed incompetent at making good decisions just to stop a few bad people from making bad ones.

Your $700 in food stamps should be replaced with $700 in money.
01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
(01-03-2014 03:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 03:28 PM)toadaly Wrote:  They were used in the same sentence to make clear the intent. I still don't know what you're asking me to cite.

"Everyone will be a free rider if they can be".

That's one hell of a bald assertion.

It's also not my quote.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
(01-03-2014 03:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Did you not see where I said I donated Money? Plus last time I looked but helping to run a forum as a mod is providing a service. You clearly have thought about this as much as you have all your other political stances you have put forth on this forum. Not at all.

I saw you say it, but assumed you were lying. You've got too big a chip on your shoulder to be taken too seriously.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
01-03-2014, 07:40 PM
(01-03-2014 07:21 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 03:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Did you not see where I said I donated Money? Plus last time I looked but helping to run a forum as a mod is providing a service. You clearly have thought about this as much as you have all your other political stances you have put forth on this forum. Not at all.

I saw you say it, but assumed you were lying. You've got too big a chip on your shoulder to be taken too seriously.

He's not lying.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Wouldnt it be better if you recieved a seperate coupon to buy basic things?
For example they gave you 550 bucks in foodstamps and 150 for basic needs? With the other coupon you could buy things like TP,diapers,toothpaste,soap,etc?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....