Why do we treat poor people like children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
RE: Why do we treat poor people like children?
@toadaly
basically,everyone who uses a different name color from you (and if i'm not wrong bolded names too)-including rev-,has been/is contributing more to this site than you

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 07:57 PM
(01-03-2014 06:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 03:38 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I get food stamps for my youngest daughter. My income qualifies me for like $700 a month in food stamps but I only applied for my youngest daughter because my ex husband doesn't pay child support for her. I try to be very frugal with food shopping and if I need diapers I am not ashamed of buying a friend some food and letting them buy me some diapers. I don't see an issue with people getting government assistance. I see an issue with people who don't realize that it's supposed to be temporary. You're supposed to get your shit together and then stop getting them, not say oh I guess I don't need to get my shit together since now I can get stuff for free.

Technically, you've committed fraud.

I don't hold it against you because I think you the individual and not some government bureaucrat is in the best position to determine what your family needs and what it doesn't. I wonder how many hours end up wasted by people trying to convert food stamps into something they need....like diapers.

Its a shame that you have to be treated like a child...told what you can and cannot buy just because you are poor. Its a shame that the majority of hard working honest poor people have to be deemed incompetent at making good decisions just to stop a few bad people from making bad ones.

Your $700 in food stamps should be replaced with $700 in money.

The program is for assistance in buying food. That's why they are food stamps.

It is really quite simple. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2014, 08:26 PM
(01-03-2014 07:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  The program is for assistance in buying food. That's why they are food stamps.

The problem with being poor is not access to food. The problem of being poor is not having any money.

If you want to assist poor give them money. If you want to exercise some control over the lives of poor people...give them food stamps.
01-03-2014, 08:28 PM
(01-03-2014 08:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 07:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  The program is for assistance in buying food. That's why they are food stamps.

The problem with being poor is not access to food. The problem of being poor is not having any money.

If you want to assist poor give them money. If you want to exercise some control over the lives of poor people...give them food stamps.

Nay. You can live without money, not so easily without food.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
01-03-2014, 08:42 PM
(01-03-2014 08:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

If you want to assist poor give them money.
If you want to exercise some control over the lives of poor people...give them food stamps.
no. If you want to assist the poor,let them follow a finance management program, learn them how to do a basic job like electrician,plumber,etc(incase they didnt get education or dropped out of school) and give them a job

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
01-03-2014, 09:55 PM
(01-03-2014 08:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 08:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The problem with being poor is not access to food. The problem of being poor is not having any money.

Nay. You can live without money, not so easily without food.

Generally speaking, the only reason wealthy people have access to food is because they have money. Give poor people money and you give them the same access to food wealthier people have. The only reason to give poor people food stamps instead of money is to exercise some control over their lives.

I find that to be distasteful.
01-03-2014, 10:45 PM
(01-03-2014 09:55 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Generally speaking, the only reason wealthy people have access to food is because they have money. Give poor people money and you give them the same access to food wealthier people have. The only reason to give poor people food stamps instead of money is to exercise some control over their lives.

I find that to be distasteful.

Generally speaking, that's true. However, there are a lot of people dependent on welfare who are so because of a tendency to make poor decisions regarding their resources. By limiting their use of welfare to those resources that are the most important to survival, it not only helps one survive but also gives further incentive to the recipient to do what they can to better their situation through means of their own.

The system isn't perfect, and abuse happens. I'm not sure why you'd advocate making the abuse easier.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-03-2014, 11:47 PM
(01-03-2014 07:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 07:21 PM)toadaly Wrote:  I saw you say it, but assumed you were lying. You've got too big a chip on your shoulder to be taken too seriously.

He's not lying.

My mistake then, and a bad example.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
01-03-2014, 11:49 PM
(01-03-2014 08:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The problem with being poor is not access to food. The problem of being poor is not having any money.

I don't care if other people have no money, and have no interest in assiting people I don't know.

But like many others, I don't want to see them starving, so giving food instead solves the problem I care about.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
01-03-2014, 11:58 PM
(01-03-2014 04:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  L&I, sorry to hear about the deadbeat dad...been there and done that too. My younger daughter was just contacted by her daughter's father because he got picked up on a warrant for not paying child support. He was raising hell thinking she had turned him in...uh, no, dumb ass...after nearly a year the county decided to pick up him up-again. He should know the drill it happens every few months.

My ex husband is a horrible person. He made a serious mess of my life emotionally, physically, and financially. So please don't think I am defending him, but he pays child support for the older two (by court order haha). I left him when I was still pregnant and I didn't put a father for my youngest when she was born. I don't plan to ever let him meet her or see any of them, so as soon as I get on my feet I will let him off paying child support for the other two also.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.