Why do we treat poor people like children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 07:07 AM
RE: Why do we treat poor people like children?
I take it as an axiom that when government redestributes resources, the business of what the recipient does with those resources is of increased public interest. Take public universities, for example, they are legally required to follow rules, along with publicly traded companies, and so on. Think about it in your own life: If you for example commit to loaning your buddy 200 bucks a month until he gets back on his feet, is it your business is he stops paying you back and starts buying things he doesn't need that YOU don't even have? What if the money he owes and committed to repay is supposed to go for something your child or spouse needs, but they won't get it because he buys a newer couch to replace the old, adequate one?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BeccaBoo's post
03-03-2014, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 07:28 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
(01-03-2014 03:25 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 11:01 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  More than you. Not only have I made monetary contributions but I volunteer my free time to moderate it.

Still, there is a real cost related to running it, and you are not chipping in in those terms. You are more than happy to accept these free services, as am I and almost everyone else posting here. So at the same time you are demanding I provide some kind of citation that humans happily accept things offered at no cost, while you are right here doing it along with me and most of the rest of the posters.

But ok, that's not a scientific study. So how were you planning to compensate me for the effort of finding you a citation that you find satisfactory?

Actually, those who have donated $ to the site have their screen names in red like mine. Although mods, get other colors even though they have donated $ too.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
I don't know if it's the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if the system were designed this way to help gain bipartisan support. Obviously, food stamps must be funded by taxes, and people can get real uppity when "their" tax money gets spent in ways they don't like. It's a lot more palatable knowing "your" money is going to feed poor people than it is to know that it's just simply being given to poor people, to spend how they choose.

In this regard, it wouldn't be a choice born out of optimizing the system, but one made as an appeal to emotion.
03-03-2014, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 05:48 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(28-02-2014 09:52 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  If druggies could get cash instead of food stamps, they wouldn't be buying food.

Isn't that their problem? Lol. Seriously though I don't really like the idea of food stamps. It feels like government is shaming the less fortunate.
And I use the term less fortunate because I've been to developing countries and trust me when I say there are very few poor in America or in my home Canada. Jus sayin .
03-03-2014, 05:55 PM
(03-03-2014 05:42 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 09:52 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  If druggies could get cash instead of food stamps, they wouldn't be buying food.

Isn't that their problem? Lol. Seriously though I don't really like the idea of food stamps. It feels like government shaming the less fortunate.

It's not actual stamps anymore, it works just like a credit card. No-one even knows you're using it unless you try to buy non-food items with it.

At any rate, I think this goes to what the purpose is. Is the purpose to provide some universal minimum standard of living, or is it to keep people from going hungry until they can get on their own feet?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
03-03-2014, 11:10 PM
(03-03-2014 05:55 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 05:42 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Isn't that their problem? Lol. Seriously though I don't really like the idea of food stamps. It feels like government shaming the less fortunate.

It's not actual stamps anymore, it works just like a credit card. No-one even knows you're using it unless you try to buy non-food items with it.

At any rate, I think this goes to what the purpose is. Is the purpose to provide some universal minimum standard of living, or is it to keep people from going hungry until they can get on their own feet?

I did not know that. So before the credit card thing there were actual stamps I'm assuming. Did these stamps look anything like a postal stamp. I ask because I'm pretty sure we don't have them here.
03-03-2014, 11:49 PM
(03-03-2014 11:10 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I did not know that. So before the credit card thing there were actual stamps I'm assuming. Did these stamps look anything like a postal stamp. I ask because I'm pretty sure we don't have them here.

...not sure. I've never actually seen them, and though I'm told that 1/6th of the population is using SNAP in the US, I've never noticed anyone using it. ....not a scientific study of course, but from personal experience, I think the dignity card is being overplayed by the left, who would prefer a national minimum income instead of assistance programs for food, housing, etc.

04-03-2014, 12:20 AM
(03-03-2014 11:49 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 11:10 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I did not know that. So before the credit card thing there were actual stamps I'm assuming. Did these stamps look anything like a postal stamp. I ask because I'm pretty sure we don't have them here.

...not sure. I've never actually seen them, and though I'm told that 1/6th of the population is using SNAP in the US, I've never noticed anyone using it. ....not a scientific study of course, but from personal experience, I think the dignity card is being overplayed by the left, who would prefer a national minimum income instead of assistance programs for food, housing, etc.

I personally would be happy with a minimum wage that allows me to work to support my family while I go to school. As it is now I couldn't even afford to pay for childcare with minimum wage let alone other bills or food.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
04-03-2014, 12:36 AM
I think western society is missing something. I mean we produce more per person these days compared to 50 or 60 years ago and way more compared to the preindustrial era. I'm under the impression that we were working toward a better life. Sure we have wonderful toys and awesome medicine and that's great but what about more leisure and less hours labouring. There are plenty of resources to go around to make all of us comfortable and If we reduced our work week to say 10 hours there'd be a chance that we could all contribute while gaining enough wealth to live in style and dignity and having a fuckload of fun doing it. Sounds like communism but it ain't!
04-03-2014, 01:07 AM
(04-03-2014 12:20 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I personally would be happy with a minimum wage that allows me to work to support my family while I go to school. As it is now I couldn't even afford to pay for childcare with minimum wage let alone other bills or food.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2012.htm

(all numbers directly from official US data in link above)

There are 75 million workers paid hourly, which represents 59% of the workforce. So, the workforce is 75/0.59 = 127 million.

1.6 million people in the US earn minimum wage. That's 1.6/127 * 100 = 1.3% of the workforce.

There's a big political stink in the US about minimum wages right now, but 98.7% of the workforce is not even subject to it. I know it is not demographically uniform, but still...minimum wage, seriously?