Why do we treat poor people like children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 01:23 AM
RE: Why do we treat poor people like children?
(04-03-2014 12:36 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I think western society is missing something. I mean we produce more per person these days compared to 50 or 60 years ago and way more compared to the preindustrial era. I'm under the impression that we were working toward a better life. Sure we have wonderful toys and awesome medicine and that's great but what about more leisure and less hours labouring. There are plenty of resources to go around to make all of us comfortable and If we reduced our work week to say 10 hours there'd be a chance that we could all contribute while gaining enough wealth to live in style and dignity and having a fuckload of fun doing it. Sounds like communism but it ain't!

You can work zero hours a week in the West and live better than kings of old, if liesure time is what you value most. The combination of SSI, SNAP, section 8, and medicaid, will provide you with that. ...or you can be a luckt spoiled rich kid. That also get's you that plus a lot of cool toys and attractive lovers.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 02:09 AM
(04-03-2014 01:07 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 12:20 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I personally would be happy with a minimum wage that allows me to work to support my family while I go to school. As it is now I couldn't even afford to pay for childcare with minimum wage let alone other bills or food.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2012.htm

(all numbers directly from official US data in link above)

There are 75 million workers paid hourly, which represents 59% of the workforce. So, the workforce is 75/0.59 = 127 million.

1.6 million people in the US earn minimum wage. That's 1.6/127 * 100 = 1.3% of the workforce.

There's a big political stink in the US about minimum wages right now, but 98.7% of the workforce is not even subject to it. I know it is not demographically uniform, but still...minimum wage, seriously?

I am selfish. I care about minimum wage because it affects me personally. You want to know why I don't work minimum wage? I can't afford it. Makes no sense to have a job that costs me money. Whatever percent my children and I count for, that is the most important percentage to me. I made my own bed. I stupidly chose to get married at 17. I stupidly chose to have 3 children with a horrible man. Now I am suffering the consequences of my own bad choices. But you know, it really sucks when becoming a "welfare queen" is the most viable option for me to support my family. Luckily for me have family and friends to help me out but I would much rather just have a job and actually make money instead of losing it.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
04-03-2014, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 02:49 AM by Logica Humano.)
(03-03-2014 05:42 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Isn't that their problem? Lol. Seriously though I don't really like the idea of food stamps. It feels like government is shaming the less fortunate.
And I use the term less fortunate because I've been to developing countries and trust me when I say there are very few poor in America or in my home Canada. Jus sayin .

Shaming the less fortunate? Few poor people? In a country that claims to be extremely successful, I'd say there are plenty of poor people in the United States. It may not be comparative to the downright tribal areas in Africa, or the Gilded Age in China -- but we are on a fast track to that type of world if we are not careful.

And how, in the non-existence of Jesus, are food stamps shaming the poor? How many people have you known that live well below the poverty line? I know several families and individuals who do and they are quite thankful for the program. My own girlfriend lived and grew up in poverty. They could and can all actually eat because of it. What should shame us all is that the leading economic power (and most "Christian" and "free" nation) in the world has never given two shits about the poor and that, as we speak, individuals continue to ruin the idea of "equal opportunity" with "smaller government" and "tax cuts" (for the rich of course).

Because quite clearly the private industry benefits individual freedoms entirely, no strings attached. Drinking Beverage

I honestly hope that everybody here has the chance to either experience or at least observe just how dire it is for over half of America.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
04-03-2014, 02:42 AM
(04-03-2014 02:09 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I am selfish. I care about minimum wage because it affects me personally. You want to know why I don't work minimum wage? I can't afford it. Makes no sense to have a job that costs me money. Whatever percent my children and I count for, that is the most important percentage to me. I made my own bed. I stupidly chose to get married at 17. I stupidly chose to have 3 children with a horrible man. Now I am suffering the consequences of my own bad choices. But you know, it really sucks when becoming a "welfare queen" is the most viable option for me to support my family. Luckily for me have family and friends to help me out but I would much rather just have a job and actually make money instead of losing it.

If you want the minimum wage raised, Libertarianism is not for you -- they are hellbent on destroying economic regulation.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
04-03-2014, 06:00 AM
(03-03-2014 11:10 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I did not know that. So before the credit card thing there were actual stamps I'm assuming. Did these stamps look anything like a postal stamp. I ask because I'm pretty sure we don't have them here.

Back in the 70s, you got a coupon book, with each coupon being worth X dollars.

If one coupon was worth say $20.00 and you bought $3.00 worth of food, you would get cash back for the difference. Easy scam to get cash.

Thats why they went for the EBT card. I'm not sure when the system got changed over tho.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
(04-03-2014 01:23 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 12:36 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I think western society is missing something. I mean we produce more per person these days compared to 50 or 60 years ago and way more compared to the preindustrial era. I'm under the impression that we were working toward a better life. Sure we have wonderful toys and awesome medicine and that's great but what about more leisure and less hours labouring. There are plenty of resources to go around to make all of us comfortable and If we reduced our work week to say 10 hours there'd be a chance that we could all contribute while gaining enough wealth to live in style and dignity and having a fuckload of fun doing it. Sounds like communism but it ain't!

You can work zero hours a week in the West and live better than kings of old, if liesure time is what you value most. The combination of SSI, SNAP, section 8, and medicaid, will provide you with that. ...or you can be a luckt spoiled rich kid. That also get's you that plus a lot of cool toys and attractive lovers.
I work in camp 70 hours a week for 3 weeks and then I'm off for a week. That week I have to get my personal shit together. Leaves very little personal time. Yes I value leisure time greatly!
04-03-2014, 09:45 AM
How easy it is to judge when you've never been in those shoes.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
04-03-2014, 09:48 AM
(04-03-2014 02:09 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I am selfish. I care about minimum wage because it affects me personally. You want to know why I don't work minimum wage? I can't afford it. Makes no sense to have a job that costs me money.

Thanks for being honest. If I had asserted there are people gaming the system the way you are (not a judgment Heart ), several of the "skeptics" here would begin ranting, stating it's an idiotic assertion, demanding scientific studies to prove it, and jump on my case for the slightest grammatical errors.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
04-03-2014, 10:02 AM
(01-03-2014 03:25 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Still, there is a real cost related to running it, and you are not chipping in in those terms.

You're right. Donating money to this site does nothing to alleviate the costs of running the site; likewise, the forum is moderated by Internet fairies.

Quote:But ok, that's not a scientific study. So how were you planning to compensate me for the effort of finding you a citation that you find satisfactory?

It's not his fault you made a generalized, blanket statement that is inherently false. This is why wordsmiths created words like "most" and phrases like "in general" or "from what I've seen".

Avoid absolutism in your dialog and learn to accept when you are wrong instead of trying justify asinine statements.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Moreover, I would like to address your comment about freeloading if given the opportunity.

When I lost my job, I got SNAP... About $700 a month. I only used it to buy food. I also got it for 6 months. When I got a job, I reported it and lost my food stamps. I could have just not said anything and gotten my full 6 months that I was entitled to, but I didn't. Because I didn't need it. Someone else did.

So, just by my example, your statement is false. So, you are wrong. Man up.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post