Why do women try to be pretty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Why do women try to be pretty?
In other species, males are the ones that try to attract mates, flaunting their colors, tails, feathers, etc. I do not recall females trying to attract mates through similar mechanisms (other than signaling readiness to mate.) Why do human females try to attract mates by enhancing their looks (e.g. plastic surgery, makeup, etc.), while males "slack" in this regard (sure, some guys work out to build muscle and such, but you see more women in the cosmetic departments and such.)? Is this a product of society, human intelligence (doubtful), or what?

Are there species in which females do a lot of the flaunting?

Or am I missing something fundamentally obvious here (for example, my initial statements were false)?

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: Why do women try to be pretty?
You are assuming it's always been so. I imagine there may have been times in the past when just possessing a set of tits was enough to signal female-ness.

I think, in humans, a lot of it has to do with societally-determined gender roles and beauty ideals, even the media.

Additionally, I think that many people, male and female, base their sense of self-worth at least partly on their attractiveness to others.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
28-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Because sometimes trying is all we can do. You gotta work with what you have.

And anyway, men do just as much (if not more) flaunting. Different type, usually more obvious (and often ridiculous), but not less than women for sure.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
28-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Certain bug species come to mind where the women are the much more vibrant of the two.

The black widow for example.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
28-01-2013, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2013 07:38 AM by Chaos.)
I don't think all women want to be pretty to attract other males. It could be because of competition and social advantages. Being a beautiful woman, you get lots of advantages.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
28-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Because they know I wont look at them otherwise, and my personal attention is of great value. It's actually used as currency in some countries. Drinking Beverage
(jk) Laughat

Seriously though, it has to do with social status - among other things. They want to look attractive and desireable. Not just to get men's attention, but to show other women that there's sexual competition. Nearly everything we do aesthetically - male and female alike - is to send some sort of message to others. We're a social species, and we communicate through our bodies. Aside from that, people just want to look good because it also makes them feel better, personally. Some women get all dolled-up in their makeup and high heels, just so they can go have a few drinks with their girlfriends. They don't intend to talk to a guy that night, but they get dressed up anyway so they can feel good and confident in the fact that they look good.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
28-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Anyone think they just like to look nice?

I know that I like to dress in nice cloths etc.. doesn't mean I'm peacocking for a sexual partner, just means I want to dress nice. You don't have to want to impress other people just because you want to take pride in your apperence.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
28-01-2013, 03:35 PM
(28-01-2013 03:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Anyone think they just like to look nice?

I know that I like to dress in nice cloths etc.. doesn't mean I'm peacocking for a sexual partner, just means I want to dress nice. You don't have to want to impress other people just because you want to take pride in your apperence.
Once again, Muffsy, you prove you don't know anything about women. Don't you know that men are the sole purpose of our existence? Why we wake up in the morning, why we live and breathe. And if we manage to catch the eye of one of those exalted creatures, why, then we haven't lived in vain and our pointless little lives will finally have had some semblance of meaning.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go powder my nose. I gotta look my best in case a man happens to walk in, right? Right. [Image: batting_eyelashes.gif]

[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
28-01-2013, 03:44 PM
(28-01-2013 03:35 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-01-2013 03:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Anyone think they just like to look nice?

Once again, Muffsy, you prove you don't know anything about women. Don't you know that men are the sole purpose of our existence? Why we wake up in the morning, why we live and breathe. And if we manage to catch the eye of one of those exalted creatures, why, then we haven't lived in vain and our pointless little lives will finally have had some semblance of meaning.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go powder my nose. I gotta look my best in case a man happens to walk in, right? Right. [Image: batting_eyelashes.gif]
Vera, I think those books are really doing serious damage. And stop batting your eyes...

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-01-2013, 03:47 PM
(28-01-2013 03:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Vera, I think those books are really doing serious damage. And stop batting your eyes...
Wait! Are you trying to tell me men aren't the pinnacle of creation and my sole purpose on this earth isn't to please them? Man, I knew he was lying. From now on [Image: girly010.gif]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post