Why do you desire truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Why do you desire truth?
Why do you desire truth?

Many atheists seem to draw a distinction between their own desire for truth, and the desires of theists. They’ll likely add a serious of qualifiers, such as scientific, evidence based, objective, etc….. But one answer that I always have trouble getting an honest response about, is this:

Being that we are all biological creatures, and all desires and their appeasement are biological in nature, what biological desire is appeased by your desire for truth? And if you grant the premise here, that desires are biological, as well as the satisfaction of them, then truth is a means to an end. If truth makes you feel secure, secure in your marriage, than it’s a sense of security that you desire, and truth in this particular instance is a means of acquiring that. If it’s because truth offers survival advantages, it’s survival you desire, and truth is a means for that, etc..

So how would you explain your desire for truth, in relationship to you being a biological creature, and in particular, in regards to how you might distinguish your desire for truth, from theists, and religious folks in general?

Why do you personally desire scientific truths, what is this biologically appeasing for you?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
09-05-2017, 08:06 AM
RE: Why do you desire truth?
(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you desire truth?

Many atheists seem to draw a distinction between their own desire for truth, and the desires of theists. They’ll likely add a serious of qualifiers, such as scientific, evidence based, objective, etc….. But one answer that I always have trouble getting an honest response about, is this:

Being that we are all biological creatures, and all desires and their appeasement are biological in nature, what biological desire is appeased by your desire for truth? And if you grant the premise here, that desires are biological, as well as the satisfaction of them, then truth is a means to an end. If truth makes you feel secure, secure in your marriage, than it’s a sense of security that you desire, and truth in this particular instance is a means of acquiring that. If it’s because truth offers survival advantages, it’s survival you desire, and truth is a means for that, etc..

So how would you explain your desire for truth, in relationship to you being a biological creature, and in particular, in regards to how you might distinguish your desire for truth, from theists, and religious folks in general?

Why do you personally desire scientific truths, what is this biologically appeasing for you?

Truth is trust. You can rely on it, it will always be the truth. It's probably the only thing you can trust. If you can find it.

Religions all claim to be the truth. Obviously, they can't all be the truth. None can prove that they are the truth.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
09-05-2017, 08:07 AM
1- Intellectual curiosity
2- Honesty with myself (not wanting to live a lie or to be knowingly deluded)
3- IMO truth >>>>>>> untruth when making decisions from the mundane to the life altering

I debated whether I should even respond to this inane question as it would take someone who themselves is happy accepting known falsehoods to pose the question.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 4 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
09-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Has Tommyrot been possessed by the ghost of an apocalyptic zombie, perchance?

Also, good of you to admit that while *we* are biological creatures, apparently you ain't. That'd explain that rock you call a head.

Also, your word salad needs a bit of seasoning, methinks

[Image: 47989df7bc3d5407dba79a2e1f427c0e.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
09-05-2017, 08:18 AM
The better I understand how things actually work in the reality that I experience the better decisions I am likely to make to make my life, and the lives of people around me, easier, happier, and longer.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
09-05-2017, 08:19 AM
It isn't so much a desire for truth as it is an intolerance for bullshit. Strictly speaking, the scientific process is only capable of demonstrating the flaws in a hypothesis. Truth is impossible to find, only assumed when attempts to disprove said hypothesis have failed.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 8 users Like yakherder's post
09-05-2017, 08:26 AM
(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you desire truth?

It pays good, and keeps us out of the lions' mouths.

Quote:Many atheists seem to draw a distinction between their own desire for truth, and the desires of theists.

Really ? You know this how ? Show us the data and the poll results.
ONCE AGAIN, we have Tomato here pulling generalizations out of his ass about atheists, which he cooked up to make himself feel superior.

Quote:Why do you personally desire scientific truths, what* is this biologically appeasing for you?

See above.

Fuck off, troll.
*It's "WHY is this biologically appeasing to you". The way you wrote it, makes NO sense, (not that we expect that here).

Beware. The question is yet another attempt to pull us down his rabbit hole.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-05-2017, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 08:48 AM by treefireguy.)
Why do you desire truth?
All the atheists I know don't even talk like that at all. We just try to get through life happy and healthy and as long as we can. We don't "Desire truth". We just wan't to make it through the day. Troll. Go back to Christian Mingle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like treefireguy's post
09-05-2017, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 08:40 AM by GirlyMan.)
Which theory of truth - correspondence theory, coherence theory, constructivist theory, consensus theory, pragmatic theory, performative theory, epistemic theories? Truth is a slippery eel.

I think Nietszche's view on truth is close to Tommyboys if I've been reading his posts right.

"But you will have gathered what I am getting at, namely, that it is still a metaphysical faith on which our faith in science rests--that even we knowers of today, we godless anti-metaphysicians still take our fire too, from the flame lit by the thousand-year old faith, the Christian faith which was also Plato's faith, that God is Truth; that Truth is 'Divine'..." - The Gay Science

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-05-2017, 08:50 AM
(09-05-2017 08:07 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  1- Intellectual curiosity

It seems to me that we are curious about certain things and not so curios about other things. Any particular set of curiosities have their unique explanations as to why any individual is curious about them. A mechanic may be more curious regarding the inner working of automobiles, than an accountant, whose equally curious about the elements that pertain to his occupation, a dog owner more curious about dog behavior and psychology, then someone who has no interest in owning a pet, etc...

Intellectual curiosity in any particular area, might also be for a variety of different reasons as well. My intellectual curiosity about healthcare, is driven in large part by my profession and area of study. While my interest in biological evolution, might be hobbyist in nature, for entertainment purposes, to quell my boredom during downtime etc..

Quote:2- Honesty with myself (not wanting to live a lie or to be knowingly deluded)

So you would say you have a biological desire to be honest with yourself? Do you believe that to be universal human desire. Or do you think it may of arose out of your own particular unique environmental factors?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."