Why do you desire truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2017, 11:50 AM
RE: Why do you desire truth?
Why ask us any questions at all if you're not interested in the truth?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
10-05-2017, 11:55 AM
(10-05-2017 07:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Which seems to me to indicate that my religious beliefs here are possibly true.....
Which you didnt seem to care much about during most of this thread, saying you would rather be happy than knowing truth. Drinking Beverage
...at least you pretented to.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
10-05-2017, 12:00 PM
(10-05-2017 11:44 AM)Astreja Wrote:  I think the thread should be renamed "Why do you bother with the truth if you can be happier playing make-believe?"

I would be happier playing make believe. If I could be a Jedi life would rock....until I realized using the force to get the remote was really just my wife throwing it at me.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
10-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Why do you desire truth?
(10-05-2017 11:55 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 07:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Which seems to me to indicate that my religious beliefs here are possibly true.....
Which you didnt seem to care much about during most of this thread, saying you would rather be happy than knowing truth. Drinking Beverage

And you, you prefer knowing truth over being happy?

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-05-2017, 01:03 PM
(10-05-2017 12:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And you, you prefer knowing truth over being happy? Why?

If those were the only choices -- yes, I would choose truth over happiness. Always. One can use even very unpleasant truths to create or discover new joy -- in fact, I've done exactly this in my own life over the last decade and a half -- but happiness based on false pretenses cannot be recovered once the falseness is known. Once you know something, you can't un-know it.

Living a lie, even a comforting one, makes one vulnerable and inauthentic. In the long run it just isn't worth it.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
10-05-2017, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 02:20 PM by Cosmo.)
Having skimmed through this thread, it seems like your primary concern is what system of thought brings you the most comfort. I would suggest that this is a very dangerous path to walk down. The truth is a very valuable thing, even if it means taking off rose coloured glasses.

As a pertinent example, let's suppose there is a suicide bomber operating under the pretense that Allah will grant him ten virgins in heaven upon blowing himself up for a Jihad. He may be very happy with this prospect. Now, if you successfully show him with basic skills of logic and reason where his belief system is flawed, and he accepts what you say, you may have destroyed his short term hope of virgins in paradise, but now he has the opportunity to build a new perspective, based on truth.

See what I'm saying?

Why is camouflage part of the animal kingdom? Why do poisonous berries grow bright and plump? Why don't blowfish have their spikes out all the time? Why do carnivores hide in the dark, waiting to spring? It's because deception can kill, knowing the truth can save and not knowing can be disastrous. The desire for truth, I would say, is indeed, biologically based. We simply have highly developed mental capabilities, so that our search for truth can be either metaphysical, which is the case for you, or empirical, which is the case for us.

Science and Empiricism are an entire exercise in finding what is true in fact. You are familiar with the scientific method? I hope so... because it has consistently yielded for us, truthful results since it's inception. I have a hypothesis, I test it, it proves false or true. If true, the scientific community immediately jumps on it trying to produce results contrary to mine. If results from multiple tests are corroborated, and the hypothesis can't be falsified, the hypothesis can move from prediction to theory. If not, it is discarded as false.

So what I'm getting at here is, if you knew you were living a lie... knew it to your core... would you be happy? Would you continue? When I knew Christianity was false, I kept going to church for five months to appease those around me, and I was miserable, because I knew I was living a lie.

Regards!

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
10-05-2017, 01:57 PM
(10-05-2017 12:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 11:55 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Which you didnt seem to care much about during most of this thread, saying you would rather be happy than knowing truth. Drinking Beverage

And you, you prefer knowing truth over being happy?

Why?

You think happiness is all there is? Your personal happiness? It seems like a selfish philosophy. By your same argument if killing people makes me happy I should do that? The world is larger than just yourself.

I prefer science over bullshit because it makes me happy to see charlatans exposed for the liars they are. I despise all those who try to fool other people for their personal comfort or for some political aim, and religious leaders are nearly all doing either one or the other. Even those who are sincere are mostly idiots who do more harm than good.

I prefer science because the world is more wonderful and fascinating than anyone could imagine, and religion just offers easy non-answers designed to make me stop asking questions. Fuck them I say.

And the irony is I'm explaining this to you, Tommy, the prize fucking delusional dickhead of our forum, who doesn't appreciate science or scepticism or critical thinking one iota yet confidently proclaims his beliefs.

Jesus fuck. I hope you're happy Tommy, 'cos you sure as fuck don't seem to like truth too much.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
10-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Quote:You think happiness is all there is? Your personal happiness? It seems like a selfish philosophy. By your same argument if killing people makes me happy I should do that? The world is larger than just yourself.

I prefer science over bullshit because it makes me happy to see charlatans exposed for the liars they are. I despise all those who try to fool other people for their personal comfort or for some political aim, and religious leaders are nearly all doing either one or the other. Even those who are sincere are mostly idiots who do more harm than good.

I prefer science because the world is more wonderful and fascinating than anyone could imagine, and religion just offers easy non-answers designed to make me stop asking questions. Fuck them I say.

Well said. Hitting like for this part. I don't know him well enough to agree with your insults though. He is consistently obtuse then?

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
10-05-2017, 03:21 PM
(10-05-2017 08:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 07:27 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Do I have to spell it out for you every time?

You are a theist, you believe in witch doctors, ergo you are not prioritizing your health. Get it?

(Enough, I have better things to do, I’m heading out to go kill some Lionfish for dinner.)

Ah okay, so a strawman?

I'm a theist, I don't believe that going to a witch doctor for health related questions, is preferable to going to an actual doctor, or trained professional on matters of physical health.

Damn you’re dense.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
10-05-2017, 03:21 PM
(10-05-2017 02:13 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  He is consistently obtuse then?

Obtuse? Obtuse? If obtuse is any angle > 90 then he's like... 720?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post