Why do you desire truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 08:59 AM
RE: Why do you desire truth?
I prefer to live in reality. I could believe that the dragonflies in my garden are really fairies, but to me, that takes away from the beauty and "magic" of them actually being dragonflies.

There have been so many religions in the world over time--so many gods, so many belief systems, so many different people making a variety of different claims that they purport as "truths." And people have lived and died by these "truths." If nothing else, this to me, is the paramount reason for requiring evidence on the basis of such claims.

Living your life based on what another person or group of people claims as truth based on faith alone just isn't good enough for me. As such, I follow solid evidence and then draw my own conclusions based on what I can see, hear, touch, observe, analyze to be true.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
09-05-2017, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 09:07 AM by Tomasia.)
(09-05-2017 08:29 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  All the atheists I know don't even talk like that at all. We just try to get through life happy and healthy and as long as we can. We don't "Desire truth". We just wan't to make it through the day.

So for you, and perhaps the atheists you know, you just wanna get through life happy and healthy, if any particular truth is conducive to that then it matters, if it doesn't contribute to your health and happiness it's irrelevant.

Being an atheist might contribute to your own personal health and happiness, while being a theist might contribute to someone's else personal health and happiness. The truth of either doesn't really matter.

At least this would seem to be the case, if health and happiness are all that actually matter.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-05-2017, 09:06 AM
(09-05-2017 08:59 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I prefer to live in reality.

We all live in reality, it doesn't seem to be a matter of what one prefers at all.

What I would say is that we prefer to see reality in a certain way, from a particular lens, of perspective, and that there's underly psychology, as to why any particular biological being like yourself, prefers to see it the way you do, and others prefer to see it differently.

The lens we choose to see the world through, is connected to a variety of things about us, how we connect to others, form our relationships and our sense of identity, etc.. .

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Human nature is to solve "problems". Our brains piece things together to make our lives easier.

When you expand that out into everything that we know today, it's all because at some point, a person has said "I wonder how this works?" and it's gone on, until we solved the issue and most likely made some new discoveries along the way.

I know others, [cough] theists [\cough], take some information as-is and just accept it, but anything, including what science says has to be proven to me, with enough evidence to rule out any reasonable doubt, for me to accept it as fact.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
09-05-2017, 09:13 AM
(09-05-2017 09:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

We all live in reality, it doesn't seem to be a matter of what one prefers at all.

What I would say is that we prefer to see reality in a certain way, from a particular lens, of perspective, and that there's underly psychology, as to why any particular biological being like yourself, prefers to see it the way you do, and others prefer to see it differently.

The lens we choose to see the world through, is connected to a variety of things about us, how we connect to others, form our relationships and our sense of identity, etc.. .

We don't all live in reality. People who are delusional are not living in reality. Sure, everyone can make their own "reality" but that word has a very loose meaning in that sense. A person could believe they are a super hero and that they can fly. If they jump off a building, hoping to soar like an eagle based on their own human anatomy, biologically speaking, they will drop to their deaths.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
09-05-2017, 09:14 AM
(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you desire truth?

Because it allows me to live a life more in harmony with reality, enabling me to act on important issues in a timely fashion and avoid egregiously stupid mistakes. This has a direct positive effect on my perceived quality of life.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
09-05-2017, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 09:30 AM by Vera.)
The lens you, Tommyrot, choose to see the world through, are the lens of the pathetic desperate need to feel special, the pinnacle of creation, the sole reason this universe with BILLIONS OF GALAXIES was created - just for me, me, ME. This and the mind-shattering fear that there'll come a day when your precious, irreplaceable self isn't going to exist anymore.

Sorry to break it to you*, but just because you think you're special and irreplaceable and there's a skydaddy watching over you, ready to kiss your boosboos and make everything better, doesn't make it so.

How's that for a truth?

* Oh, who am I kidding. I couldn't be less sorry if I tried.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
09-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Once again....all this mental gymnastics to put theists and atheists on the same page just to make yourself feel better, and also because you already lost the argument when it was based on evidence.

You're like the little kid that keeps trying to find a game they can win at because they keep getting their ass kicked in every other game.
[+] 5 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
09-05-2017, 09:28 AM
(09-05-2017 09:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

You mean "underlying" psychology ?
But you haven't said what all these atheists you talk to, told you about the differences you claim to be able to discuss.
But, thanks awfully, for the sermon.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-05-2017, 09:30 AM
(09-05-2017 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 08:29 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  All the atheists I know don't even talk like that at all. We just try to get through life happy and healthy and as long as we can. We don't "Desire truth". We just wan't to make it through the day.

So for you, and perhaps the atheists you know, you just wanna get through life happy and healthy, if any particular truth is conducive to that then it matters, if it doesn't contribute to your health and happiness it's irrelevant.

Being an atheist might contribute to your own personal health and happiness, while being a theist might contribute to someone's else personal health and happiness. The truth of either doesn't really matter.

At least this would seem to be the case, if health and happiness are all that actually matter.

Obviously it still does, otherwise they wouldn't be an atheist.