Why do you desire truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 09:33 AM
RE: Why do you desire truth?
(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you desire truth?
Are you serious?

(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Many atheists seem to draw a distinction between their own desire for truth...
Who? How many exactly?
Why dont you ask first if any of us is any of those, before you ask an answer?

(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  They’ll likely add a serious of qualifiers, such as scientific, evidence based, objective,
No, they dont, and guess who are the ones who claim to own objective morality.

(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But one answer that I always have trouble getting an honest response about, is this:
Before you start complaining about others honesty in answering you, you should probably start working on you rown honesty to begin with. Just a suggestion.

(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Being that we are all biological creatures, and all desires and their appeasement are biological in nature, what biological desire is appeased by your desire for truth?
Are you saying you arent interested in (whatever your personal definition is) "truth"? That would explain a lot of your intentional dishonesty. I am not kidding/joking/tongue in cheek.

(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If truth makes you feel secure...
And this is where you are making shit up again, aka. being dishonest, right?
So what are your desires? What are your means to satisfy them? Truth doenst seem to be one of them, right?

(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  secure in your marriage, than it’s a sense of security that you desire, and truth in this particular instance is a means of acquiring that. If it’s because truth offers survival advantages, it’s survival you desire, and truth is a means for that, etc..
Vinegar, i definitely want vinegar as dressing!

(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you personally desire scientific truths, what is this biologically appeasing for you?
Scientific truths? What is the difference between a scientific truth and a non-scientific truth? Drinking Beverage

If you are interested why i havent answered any of your (silly) questions, or havent commented any of your (silly) statements. It is because i am not willing to give you material to distort and quote mine.

If you really dont know why truth is something worth looking for in your life then its pointless to even begin a conversation with you. You might as well ask why i bother breathing. Facepalm

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
09-05-2017, 09:39 AM
(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Being that we are all biological creatures, and all desires and their appeasement are biological in nature, what biological desire is appeased by your desire for truth? And if you grant the premise here, that desires are biological, as well as the satisfaction of them, then truth is a means to an end.

You see things completely differently than I do. I look at the religious and see people who have compromised their personal search for truth to serve their biological interests by fitting in with some community of believers. On the other hand, I see atheists as understanding that people don't need to compromise in such ways to serve our merely biological needs.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
09-05-2017, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 10:05 AM by Vera.)
Quote:Being an atheist might contribute to your own personal health and happiness, while being a theist might contribute to someone's else personal health and happiness

And fuck you, you arrogant, ignorant, slimy POS for insinuating that being an atheist is inherently selfish while being a theist is the most selfless thing there is. Seeing as religion is the ULTIMATE victory of the ego and the selfishness of human beings, this is too ridiculously stupid even for your, admittedly, record levels of stupid.

(and it's someone else's, you ignoramus!)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 8 users Like Vera's post
09-05-2017, 09:45 AM
I mean, why would I want to know that fire burns me, or that sticking a fork into the electrical socket is a bad thing?
[+] 4 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
09-05-2017, 10:16 AM
That's it Mr Thomas rub that faeces' hard in to the walls and carpet, don't forget the corners.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
09-05-2017, 10:16 AM
(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you desire truth?

Many atheists seem to draw a distinction between their own desire for truth, and the desires of theists. They’ll likely add a serious of qualifiers, such as scientific, evidence based, objective, etc….. But one answer that I always have trouble getting an honest response about, is this:

Being that we are all biological creatures, and all desires and their appeasement are biological in nature, what biological desire is appeased by your desire for truth? And if you grant the premise here, that desires are biological, as well as the satisfaction of them, then truth is a means to an end. If truth makes you feel secure, secure in your marriage, than it’s a sense of security that you desire, and truth in this particular instance is a means of acquiring that. If it’s because truth offers survival advantages, it’s survival you desire, and truth is a means for that, etc..

So how would you explain your desire for truth, in relationship to you being a biological creature, and in particular, in regards to how you might distinguish your desire for truth, from theists, and religious folks in general?

Why do you personally desire scientific truths, what is this biologically appeasing for you?

I need the truth in order to live. I mean, I want to live in reality. As a biological organism with a rational mind, I need knowledge of reality in order to continue being a biological organism. Metaphysically, life is the only value that is an end in itself. All other values serve that one.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
09-05-2017, 10:21 AM
You're conflating knowledge, truth, facts, and methods of discovery; your delivery is extremely muddled. Doesn't matter, it's the same old same old: tell you something that you can misunderstand to shore up your opinion that atheists are inferior humans to Christian humans.

I don't have a desire for truth. I have a desire for control of my circumstances. To achieve this desire, I have to learn 1) accurate, useful information, and 2) ways to manipulate that information that produce a beneficial outcome. Christianity failed miserably to provide either #1 or #2 (but science, history, literature, social sciences, my personal experiences, etc., have provided decent information and ideas).

I spent my formative years as a Christian. I left Christianity as a young adult, by which time my emotional/psychological makeup was pretty much set by Christianity and the Christians around me. Whatever psychology made me amenable to an atheist worldview was baked into me by Christianity.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
09-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Also the desire for truth doesn't just benefit us, it benefits the future of our species. Some of us realize it's not just about us, it's about people we'll never meet. Just as I'm thankful for the people who came before me that helped shape us to this point in history. There are problems, diseases, conflicts that we don't have to worry about because they did the heavy lifting, and the things we do now will help eliminate a problem for a future generation.
[+] 5 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
09-05-2017, 10:28 AM
What truth?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
09-05-2017, 10:30 AM
(09-05-2017 10:28 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  What truth?

You know...."God did it!"
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post