Why do you desire truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 10:37 AM
RE: Why do you desire truth?
(09-05-2017 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Being an atheist might contribute to your own personal health and happiness, while being a theist might contribute to someone's else personal health and happiness. The truth of either doesn't really matter.

At least this would seem to be the case, if health and happiness are all that actually matter.

Are you implying that only theists (possibly Christian theists) are more altruistic than atheists?

Secular Humanists concern themselves with the health and happiness of all people.

Facts don't change just because you don't believe in them. Seeking truthful answers -- well shouldn't everyone want that, even if the truth is inconvenient?

If anything, I see religious people pretending to care, and a few that proselytize and try to convert others to their belief.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Why do you desire truth?
(09-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you desire truth?

As opposed to what, a lie?

Do you want us to tell you lies? Sweet little lies?

09-05-2017, 10:56 AM
When there are lies, there is exploitation. Why would I want to be exploited? No one wants to be exploited.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
09-05-2017, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 11:15 AM by adey67.)
(09-05-2017 10:37 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Being an atheist might contribute to your own personal health and happiness, while being a theist might contribute to someone's else personal health and happiness. The truth of either doesn't really matter.

At least this would seem to be the case, if health and happiness are all that actually matter.

Are you implying that only theists (possibly Christian theists) are more altruistic than atheists?

Secular Humanists concern themselves with the health and happiness of all people.

Facts don't change just because you don't believe in them. Seeking truthful answers -- well shouldn't everyone want that, even if the truth is inconvenient?

If anything, I see religious people pretending to care, and a few that proselytize and try to convert others to their belief.

And unlike ahem "some" religious wankers they don't have an ulterior motive, its not to win souls for Jesus or because a genocidal deity threatens to burn them for ever if they don't and not because their moral compass is so poor they require a deity to tell them to do it. Also the fact he's still here and posting is proof we are superior to his religion.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
09-05-2017, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 11:25 AM by Astreja.)
(09-05-2017 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Being an atheist might contribute to your own personal health and happiness, while being a theist might contribute to someone's else personal health and happiness.

What could possibly be more egotistical and selfish than assenting to the torture and murder of a man from centuries past, to guarantee oneself a cushy little spot in heaven and avoid eternal torment?

Tomasia, not only is your slur an example of the pot calling the kettle black; said pot is so dense and devoid of light that it has its own event horizon.

You seem to be having rather a lot of difficulty accepting that non-believers can and do live excellent lives in the absence of religion. If your beliefs can cause you to have such an utter disconnect from demonstrable facts in this regard, they're certainly of no bloody use to us.

(Oh, and stop pretending you know what truth is. If your posts are any indication, you haven't a razzafracking clue.)

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Astreja's post
09-05-2017, 11:12 AM
(09-05-2017 11:08 AM)Astreja Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Being an atheist might contribute to your own personal health and happiness, while being a theist might contribute to someone's else personal health and happiness.

What could possibly be more egotistical and selfish than assenting to the torture and murder of a man from centuries past, to guarantee oneself a cushy little spot in heaven and avoid eternal torment?

Tomasia, not only is your slur an example of the pot calling the kettle black; said pot is so dense and devoid of light that it has its own event horizon.

You seem to be having rather a lot of difficulty accepting that non-believers can and do live excellent lives in the absence of religion. If your beliefs can causeyou to have such an utter disconnect from demonstrable facts in this regard, they're certainly of no bloody use to us.

(Oh, and stop pretending you know what truth is. If your posts are any indication, you haven't a razzafracking clue.)

Seriously Astreja, he wouldn't know truth if it fucked him in the mouth and called him its bitch. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
09-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Because lies are so easily used to oppress, manipulate, and control people. Religion fits into the category of lies used to oppress and control people. Surely you recognize that, at least of other religions than your own?
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
09-05-2017, 11:27 AM
(09-05-2017 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 08:29 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  All the atheists I know don't even talk like that at all. We just try to get through life happy and healthy and as long as we can. We don't "Desire truth". We just wan't to make it through the day.

So for you, and perhaps the atheists you know, you just wanna get through life happy and healthy, if any particular truth is conducive to that then it matters, if it doesn't contribute to your health and happiness it's irrelevant.

Being an atheist might contribute to your own personal health and happiness, while being a theist might contribute to someone's else personal health and happiness. The truth of either doesn't really matter.

Chiming in here. Being an atheist doesn't contribute to my own personal happiness. It's really a trivial issue to me. I think that rational philosophy has greatly contributed to my own personal happiness and to the happiness of others although I don't consider the happiness of others as the justification for my life. I want to deal with rational people and limit my interaction with irrational ones. My desire for the truth is purely a selfish pursuit, because It contributes to my own life and happiness. But also if I want to do good for others, because I care about them, then I need to know what the good is before I can take any actions to help others.

I do think the truth matters but not as an end in itself, but only as a means to the end of life.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
09-05-2017, 11:39 AM

One answer that I always have trouble getting an honest response about, is this.

You are expressing having trouble getting an honest, truthful response. Sounds like you desire truth. You desire honesty.

The truth is useful in every aspect of your life.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
09-05-2017, 11:46 AM
(09-05-2017 11:39 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  

One answer that I always have trouble getting an honest response about, is this.

You are expressing having trouble getting an honest, truthful response. Sounds like you desire truth. You desire honesty.

Not quite. Translating from Tomasian, what he said was "One answer that I always have trouble getting a reply that matches my preconception, is this." He's not searching for truth or honesty, he's searching for validation. At least that's how all his crap comes across to me.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post