Why do you desire truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 07:32 PM
RE: Why do you desire truth?
(09-05-2017 07:05 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  “It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.” (Carl Sagan) Consider

Is it far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to be happy and healthy?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2017, 07:37 PM
(09-05-2017 07:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 07:05 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  “It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.” (Carl Sagan) Consider

Is it far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to be happy and healthy?

Is there no end to your inane questions ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-05-2017, 07:39 PM

> If you're not truly happy and healthy, you're going to know it soon enough.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
09-05-2017, 07:50 PM
(09-05-2017 07:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In order to obtain health & happiness, you must desire those truthful aspects about observed reality.

Not necessarily, you ever heard of competence without comprehension? You don't necessarily have to know the health benefits of eating certain food, to reap the benefits of it, you just have to eat them. And plenty of people know about the health benefits of a proper diet and exercise, but are quite unhealthy because they lack disciple to change their bad habits.

But regardless, I can agree you with you somewhat, given my previous examples. Knowing certain things about observed reality might be beneficial to my health and happiness, while there's far more aspects of observed reality that I need not know, or believe, that have no consequence to my health and happiness.

Being a part of a religious community might be beneficial to a persons health and happiness, regardless if the religious beliefs he subscribes to are true. He can be healthier and happier than you, and yet believe the earth is only a few thousand years old.

Quote:When you do something to benefit your health, you are observing reality and making choices about what is true and what is false. You are considering the consequences of your actions. The question remains, how do you determine what is true and what is not true ? How do you determine what is real and honest and truthful and what is fantasy, dishonest and not true ?

Shouldn't it be how do we discern what makes us healthy and happy? Discern whats conducive to our personal well being, and not necessarily whether our beliefs are true or not?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-05-2017, 07:58 PM

Come on now, tell us the "truth", you still write letters to Santa don't you?

So you're point being sticking your head in the sand is somehow preferable to being an adult and dealing with reality?

Grow the fuck up if you ever want thinking adults to take you seriously. You've become a tedious bore.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
09-05-2017, 08:01 PM
(09-05-2017 07:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Come on now, tell us the "truth", you still write letters to Santa don't you?

So you're point being sticking your head in the sand is somehow preferable to being an adult and dealing with reality?

Grow the fuck up if you ever want thinking adults to take you seriously. You've become a tedious bore.

I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest here.

Are you suggesting that if you desire health and happiness over truth, that this is the equivalent of still writing letters to Santa, sticking your head in the sand, over being an adult?

That it's childish to desire health and happiness over truth?

09-05-2017, 08:04 PM
A lie (placebo) can at times make you healthier.
A lie (delusion) can make you happy.

But if you take a placebo instead of actual medicine for all your medical needs, I doubt you'll be healthier.
In fact, I'd be willing to bet that your health would decrease.

If you accept a delusional life, instead of a life based upon reality, you are missing out on millions upon millions of real wonderful things, in favor of ONLY those things your imagination can invent.

You might as well live in a happy coma.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
09-05-2017, 08:05 PM
(09-05-2017 08:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest here.

He's not "suggesting" anything.
He told you (not *suggested*) you're a tedious bore.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-05-2017, 08:24 PM
This sounds a whole lot like 'ignorance is bliss'.

How in the hell can it be either/or.

Truth or health and happiness...makes no damn sense.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
09-05-2017, 09:06 PM
(09-05-2017 07:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is it far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to be happy and healthy? {emphasis mine}

Where did that "than" come from? It isn't a zero-sum game. Attempting to "grasp the universe as it really is" is one of the foundations of my happiness, and I believe it to be an essential part of health (both physical and mental) as well.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Astreja's post