Why do you desire truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2017, 03:11 AM
RE: Why do you desire truth?
This video is very interesting, and raises several points relevant to this discussion.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
10-05-2017, 04:20 AM
(10-05-2017 02:24 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Theology is the quest for answers, regardless of how accurate those answers are. It deals with the untestable. (Whenever it makes testable claims, they fail instantly.)

You should add that to avoid the testability problem, theology asks all the wrong questions -- the loaded questions.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
10-05-2017, 05:06 AM
As a proud, (proud I tell you) member of Suscipe Dummy Knee, where the Sacred Sciences (he he) -- Theology and Philosophy -- are studied and taught, "error has no rights", I feel it incumbent upon me, to test the null hypothesis. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-05-2017, 05:06 AM
Why do you desire truth?
(09-05-2017 09:06 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 07:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is it far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to be happy and healthy? {emphasis mine}

Where did that "than" come from? It isn't a zero-sum game. Attempting to "grasp the universe as it really is" is one of the foundations of my happiness, and I believe it to be an essential part of health (both physical and mental) as well.

I never said it is a zero sum game, all that matters for my question is, that you can grasp the universe as it really is and be unhealthy and unhappy.

You can also be happy and healthy without grasping the universe and reality for what it is.

It's a question of importance, as to whether you hold truth as more important than happiness or happiness as that of ultimate importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-05-2017, 05:10 AM
(10-05-2017 04:20 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 02:24 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Theology is the quest for answers, regardless of how accurate those answers are. It deals with the untestable. (Whenever it makes testable claims, they fail instantly.)

You should add that to avoid the testability problem, theology asks all the wrong questions -- the loaded questions.

Indeed. And the ludicrous false dichotomies.

Religious "arguments" are always plagued with logical fallacies. They either can't see them, or don't care, I guess.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
10-05-2017, 05:20 AM
(10-05-2017 05:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 09:06 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Where did that "than" come from? It isn't a zero-sum game. Attempting to "grasp the universe as it really is" is one of the foundations of my happiness, and I believe it to be an essential part of health (both physical and mental) as well.

I never said it is a zero sum game, all that matters for my question is, that you can grasp the universe as it really is and be unhealthy and unhappy.

You can also be happy and healthy without grasping the universe and reality for what it is.

It's a question of importance, as to whether you hold truth as more important than happiness or happiness as that of ultimate importance.

> Do you avoid regular physical checkups because it's easier to believe you're healthy and happy rather than running the risk of being unhappy by finding out that you're not? Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
10-05-2017, 05:25 AM
Why do you desire truth?
(10-05-2017 05:20 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 05:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I never said it is a zero sum game, all that matters for my question is, that you can grasp the universe as it really is and be unhealthy and unhappy.

> Do you avoid regular physical checkups because it's easier to believe you're healthy and happy rather than running the risk of being unhappy by finding out that you're not? Consider

Part of being healthy is getting regular checkups, and insuring if need be that I make the necessary life style changes to keep me healthy.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-05-2017, 05:33 AM
(10-05-2017 05:25 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 05:20 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Do you avoid regular physical checkups because it's easier to believe you're healthy and happy rather than running the risk of being unhappy by finding out that you're not? Consider

Part of being healthy is getting regular checkups, and insuring if need be that I make the necessary life style changes to keep me healthy.

> And if those checkups reveal that you have cancer, are you still going to be happy and healthy? My point is here is that it is far better to know the truth and being able to take action to address a threat on your well-being, even at the expense of being happy.

> The same applies to religion. It is far better to know the truth rather than squandering your only existence in pursuit of a pipe-dream.
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
10-05-2017, 05:40 AM
Tomato here, with his horrendous slurring of atheists as all being immoral, has shown one other reason people cling to religion. The constant poisonous straw man that is presented as the alternative.

I could easily go hit the bottle. Hell, I'd love to. I hate life. Why don't I? Because I want to be lucid for those around me. My decisions and actions don't just affect me. It would be selfish. So I want to live in reality as much as possible, because I really do care about them. If I was this immoral sack of shit Tomato thinks I am, I'd just go get drunk and fuck everyone. In fact I'd even probably kill myself.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
10-05-2017, 05:44 AM
(10-05-2017 05:25 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 05:20 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Do you avoid regular physical checkups because it's easier to believe you're healthy and happy rather than running the risk of being unhappy by finding out that you're not? Consider

Let me refine that for you.

“Part of being healthy is getting regular checkups from qualified medical professionals accredited in their specialties, and insuring if need be that I make the necessary life style changes to keep me healthy."

As a corrollary to what Gwaithmir asked would you go to a witch doctor, alternative medicine “doctor” or faith healer for your regular checkups? More importantly would you follow their recommendations for that horrible pain in your lower intestines or would you see a qualified gastroenterologist?

That is the choice you are giving us when you ask if we want the truth or to be happy, it is an inane question. Stop asking it, it is as ridiculous as making you choose between a medical professional and a quack.

Grow the fuck up.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post