Why do you play violent games?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Re: Why do you play violent games?
No accounting for taste vous Wink

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 01:51 PM
RE: Why do you play violent games?

I donnu. Better than killing real people.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
15-06-2013, 08:46 PM
i play violent video games because nothing feels better than wacking people with a nine iron in new vegas
16-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Lighting people up with a flamethrower and watching them run around screaming while they are on fire... Heart

Man, there is nothing like it!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
17-06-2013, 02:26 AM
Sometimes I feel that it quenches the "blood lust" I have. Out of all my friends I love FPS - mostly because of the headshots.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
17-06-2013, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 10:30 AM by ridethespiral.)
Because I am good at them... Because you can meet people and have a good time every other night...because its fun, because its a stress reliever, an escape and its emmersive.

Lately I have been playing more racing sims, and Civ(its a board game but there are strong war element) almost every non-tetris game is violent it's always guns or swords or killing poor turtles with fireballs...even the angry birds are burying pigs alive in the rubble of their homes.

Just because I kill space aliens w/ guns doesn't make me any more likely to kill a person w/ one.

During my teens Counter Strike was my outlet. This is probably why the Xbox rape joke thread annoys me so. I don't want anyone to feminize the industry, violent games have a place in our world. With wilderness fleeting and exploration and adventure becoming more difficult games and sports are the only thing keeping us testosterone filled primates sated...better games than war. video games are the next progression of literature and film and should not be censored. Should there be family options of course and Xbox should have more, but don't take Fallout and Mass Effect from me.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
17-06-2013, 12:46 PM
It allows me to simulate fight or flight (although mostly fight) responses without any danger to my actual being. It's a means of tapping into that aggressive/violent tendency that lies within all humans without unleashing it upon real people resulting in real consequences. I've never had thoughts about seriously harming real humans, just video game characters. ^_^

Oh yeah, and they are hella fun.

[Image: giphy.gif]
18-06-2013, 06:57 PM
I play violent games because I think they are kick-ass games. I play violent games because violence belongs in fantasy and not in real civilized life. I play violent games because violent games give me an outlet for any kind of frustration. I play violent games because the violence is not real and in good games presented in comedic effects. I play violent videogames because i am a peaceful person who would never do anything to anyone which I might do in a violent game. I play violent games because it allows me to shoot my best friend in the head, piss on him, say HAHAHAHA YOU LOSE, and then go for the next round. I play violent games because violent games keep you sharp, hone your wits and reflexes. I play violent games, because violent games rock.

Examples: Wolfenstein, Doom (I assume I can skip the rest of ID's genre here), Carmageddon, Postal 2, Hooligans, any kind of good 2D fighter game such as Street Fighter series, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs. Capcom.

Basically any kind of violent game that doesn't make me feel like I'm part of an army. Either i'm the lone wolf, or I *AM* the army.

Oh, and I'm a real nice guy.
18-06-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't play 'violent' (whatever that means) games because they're 'violent.' I play 'violent' games because they are games, and games are fun to play.

BioShock Infinite is just as fun as Portal 2. One lets you pretend you're able to throw crows at people, hack them up with a buzz-saw, and breathe normally at intensely high altitudes while the other lets you pretend you can solve puzzles by manipulating space-time and the laws of quantum physics at the pull of a trigger.

There's nothing else to it apart from that. Forget all the bullshit socio-political implications and pop-psychology-made-up-as-it-goes-along because they are just games.

Deal with it. Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
[+] 1 user Likes MrAttacus's post
18-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't play violent video games because they are violent. I play games because I enjoy them for whatever reason, violence only plays a small part.

But I can totally see slaying a dragon as a way to release some pent up stress.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard