Why do you trust the book of your religion ? (abrahamic religion only)
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2014 08:49 AM by DLJ.)
Why do you trust the book of your religion ? (abrahamic religion only)
Moderator's Note:
Related Commentary Thread

I created this thread because I would like to debate about the next topic.

"Why do you believe in the content of your holy book ?"

This topic is addressed to people who believe in an abrahamic religion only.
When you answer the first time precise your religion and denomination.

Examples for Jews :
Example 1 :
Religion : Jewish
Denomination : Haredism

Example 2 :
Denomination : Liberal Judaism

Example 3 :
Denomination : Jewish monolatrism

Examples for Christians :

Example 1 :
Religion : Christian
Denomination : Protestantism (Lutherianism)

Example 2 :
Denomination : Catholicism (Mainstream [Pro-vatican II])

Example 3 :
Denomination : Orthodoxy (Russian church)

Examples for Muslims :

Example 1 :
Religion : Islam
Denomination : Sunni (Maliki)

Example 2 :
Denomination : Shi'a (isma'ilism)

Example 3 :

Denomination : none

The first person who answer to this question will be selected for the debate.
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2014, 08:32 PM
RE: Why do you trust the book of your religion ? (abrahamic religion only)
(23-04-2014 06:16 PM)viocjit Wrote:  I created this thread because I would like to debate about the next topic.

"Why do you believe in the content of your holy book ?"

This topic is addressed to people who believe in an abrahamic religion only.
When you answer the first time precise your religion and denomination.

Examples for Jews :
Example 1 :
Denomination : Haredism

Example 2 :
Denomination : Liberal Judaism

Example 3 :
Denomination : Jewish monolatrism

Examples for Christians :

Example 1 :
Denomination : Protestantism (Lutherianism)

Example 2 :
Denomination : Catholicism (Mainstream [Pro-vatican II])

Example 3 :
Denomination : Orthodoxy (Russian church)

Examples for Muslims :

Example 1 :
Denomination : Sunni (Maliki)

Example 2 :
Denomination : Shi'a (isma'ilism)

Example 3 :

Denomination : none

The first person who answer to this question will be selected for the debate.
Asked and answered in my last 'boxing' match.

Short version:
In the bible Christ makes a promise to provide 'proof' of God for anyone willing to humble himself and a/s/k as out lined in Luke 11.

I followed this outline and found the 'proof' I was promised.

The bible is like a treasure map. If you follow the instructions you will find the treasure it points to. If not then you will find nothing as you are digging in the wrong place.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
25-04-2014, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2014 07:57 PM by viocjit.)
Is that the link to your last boxing match ? http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-questions

You wrote :

<snip>
</snip>

Therefore I looked in the gospel of Luke this verse that the majority of westerner know (even if they aren't Christians).

This is Luke 11:9.

Luke 11:9 in Koine Greek :

1.1550 Stephanus new testament : καγω υμιν λεγω αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν ζητειτε και ευρησετε κρουετε και ανοιγησεται υμιν

2.1881 Westcott-Hort New Testament : καγω υμιν λεγω αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν ζητειτε και ευρησετε κρουετε και ανοιγησεται υμιν

3.1894 Scrivener New Testament : καγω υμιν λεγω αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν ζητειτε και ευρησετε κρουετε και ανοιγησεται υμιν

4.SBL Greek New Testament :
Κἀγὼ ὑμῖν λέγω, αἰτεῖτε, καὶ δοθήσεται ὑμῖν· ζητεῖτε, καὶ εὑρήσετε· κρούετε, καὶ ἀνοιγήσεται ὑμῖν·

5.Codex sinaiticus :
οϲων χρηζει καγω ϋμιν λεγω αιτειτε και δοθηϲεται ϋμιν ζητειτε και ευρηϲετε κρουετε και ανυγηϲεται ϋμιν.

If you have some basis of Koine Greek you can see the next things.
"1 , 2 and 3" are equal (except if I misread these texts of course).
"4 is equal to 1 , 2 and 3" except this small difference (it contain diacretics signs).
5 is in my knowledge the oldest exemplar of NT. See the difference.

How can we trust a text who contain differences of this kind ?
Also do you know that the pericope adulteræ is an add ? (John 7:53-8:11).

Now translation of this verse in English language :

1.King James Version (Protestant bible with some archaic therms) : And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

2.Revised standard version catholic version edition (Catholic) : And I tell you, Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

3.Wycliffe Bible (Use some archaic therms) : And I say to you, ask ye, and it shall be given to you; seek ye, and ye shall find; knock ye, and it shall be opened to you.

4.Darby Translation (Protestant) :
And *I* say to you, Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.

5.Orthodox Jewish Bible (Messianic Jewish) : And I tell you [when you daven], ask, and it shall be given to you; seek and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened to you.

Also you wrote :
<snip>
If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
</snip>

Why you don't want speak about it to anyone ?
26-04-2014, 08:32 AM
(25-04-2014 07:53 PM)viocjit Wrote:  Is that the link to your last boxing match ? http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-questions
Yes
Quote:You wrote :

<snip>
</snip>

Therefore I looked in the gospel of Luke this verse that the majority of westerner know (even if they aren't Christians).

1.1550 Stephanus new testament : καγω υμιν λεγω αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν ζητειτε και ευρησετε κρουετε και ανοιγησεται υμιν

2.1881 Westcott-Hort New Testament : καγω υμιν λεγω αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν ζητειτε και ευρησετε κρουετε και ανοιγησεται υμιν

3.1894 Scrivener New Testament : καγω υμιν λεγω αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν ζητειτε και ευρησετε κρουετε και ανοιγησεται υμιν

Κἀγὼ ὑμῖν λέγω, αἰτεῖτε, καὶ δοθήσεται ὑμῖν· ζητεῖτε, καὶ εὑρήσετε· κρούετε, καὶ ἀνοιγήσεται ὑμῖν·

5.Codex sinaiticus :
οϲων χρηζει καγω ϋμιν λεγω αιτειτε και δοθηϲεται ϋμιν ζητειτε και ευρηϲετε κρουετε και ανυγηϲεται ϋμιν.

"4 is equal to 1 , 2 and 3" except this small difference (it contain diacretics signs).

Because 'trust' has nothing to do with provenance. "Trust" is earned through experience.

So, again if translation 'x' promises A,B,C if you do 1,2,3 and you receive A,B,C when you complete 1,2,3 then there begins the foundation of trust.

Your arguement fails because you understand Christianity to be built on a singular unyielding set of rules. When in fact we are told that we are to simply honor what has been placed before us.

If you have only been given access to translation 1 then it is to translation 1 that your held accountable, not translations 2-5.
[/quote]

Quote:Also you wrote :
<snip>
</snip>

Why you don't want speak about it to anyone ?

Because I said I would not speak to anyone about it.[/quote]

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

26-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Drich has accepted the challenge.

Seconds away... Round 1.

26-04-2014, 07:07 PM
(25-04-2014 07:53 PM)viocjit Wrote:  You wrote :

<snip>
</snip>

5.Codex sinaiticus :

(26-04-2014 08:32 AM)Drich Wrote:  Because 'trust' has nothing to do with provenance. "Trust" is earned through experience.

It's essential to know the source.
Example :
You want to found a company (the sector of your choice) and you don't know how to do it.

You will ask information to ?

1.A member of your family who doesn't own any companies.
2.A friend who found his own company there are some years.
3.Your girlfiend who have few possibilities to know something about it , because you trust her ?

Who's the better source ?
Excuse me for this example , I prefer to simplify.

You think that trust is earned by experience. Explain me it ?

(26-04-2014 08:32 AM)Drich Wrote:  So, again if translation 'x' promises A,B,C if you do 1,2,3 and you receive A,B,C when you complete 1,2,3 then there begins the foundation of trust.

Your arguement fails because you understand Christianity to be built on a singular unyielding set of rules. When in fact we are told that we are to simply honor what has been placed before us.

If you have only been given access to translation 1 then it is to translation 1 that your held accountable, not translations 2-5.

I don't understand Christianity like a singular unyielding set of rules.

1.I consider the religions like a cultural fact (the major religion in the western world is Christianity , the major religion in Arabs countries is Islam , the major religion in Israel is Judaism , the major religion of India is Hinduism , the major religion of Japan is Shintoism etc...).

2.These rules depend of the believers (the majority of Cafetaria Catholic think that premarital sex isn't bad , the majority of Evangelicals Christians think that this is bad etc...).
We can note than the majority of Cafetaria Catholics live in Western Europe and that the majority of Evangelicals Christians live in North America. Therefore this point is tie to the point 1.
Cafetaria Catholics from Western Europe live in societies who are Apatheist (many say Atheist , but I prefer the term of Apatheist because the majority of people from this part of the world don't care about religion and haven't any interest about the existence of God).
Even if Evangelical Christians aren't the majority in North America , they live in a zone where religions is considered like very important.
In North America (particulary in USA) the majority of people pray before eat with their family.
In Western Europe this is not the case.

Why don't you consider 2-5 like translation ?
Are you a KJV only ? if this is the case I precise
that this is not the authorised version.
(26-04-2014 08:32 AM)Drich Wrote:  Because I said I would not speak to anyone about it.

What do you fear , if you speak ?
26-04-2014, 11:09 PM
(26-04-2014 07:07 PM)viocjit Wrote:  It's essential to know the source.
Why?

So you can get back into a comfortable position to argue from?

Quote:Example :
You want to found a company (the sector of your choice) and you don't know how to do it.
The example is invalid because establishing a relationship with God is nothing like founding a company.
Quote:You will ask information to ?
In founding a company you can learn as you go or seek someone with experience.

With establishing a relationship with God one seeks God directly, according to what Christ Himself had to say, thus invalidating your example crushing your point.

Quote:1.A member of your family who doesn't own any companies.
2.A friend who found his own company there are some years.
3.Your girlfiend who have few possibilities to know something about it , because you trust her ?
again not a valid comparison as God Himself is the source Christ is offering.

Quote:Who's the better source ?
what better source of the things and nature of God than God Himself

Quote:Excuse me for this example , I prefer to simplify.

You think that trust is earned by experience. Explain me it ?
Facepalm
What was a better teacher when you were growing up? Being told something was hot and never have being burned, or knowing what being burned was, and then being warned something was hot?

With out the experience of being burned a few times after being warned something was hot, being warned is almost meaningless in of itself. Because with out the experience of suffering the pain of being burned, what is heat/hot/burned?

It is only after we experience the pain of being burned, and been saved from it a few times does the warning have meaning.

Can you give an example of trust with out experience to back it?

Quote:I don't understand Christianity like a singular unyielding set of rules.
This statement has been proven false in Accordance to your thoughts that need to legitimize a singular source for the bible.

It's hard to claim you do not believe in one set of rules for Christianity, and then in the same post start out by declaring that the bible must be identified with a singular point of origin.

So which is it sport? Is Christianity bound by a singular set of rules, thus the need for a universal singular source for the bible or is it free from such constraints?
Quote:1.I consider the religions like a cultural fact (the major religion in the western world is Christianity , the major religion in Arabs countries is Islam , the major religion in Israel is Judaism , the major religion of India is Hinduism , the major religion of Japan is Shintoism etc...).

2.These rules depend of the believers (the majority of Cafetaria Catholic think that premarital sex isn't bad , the majority of Evangelicals Christians think that this is bad etc...).
We can note than the majority of Cafetaria Catholics live in Western Europe and that the majority of Evangelicals Christians live in North America. Therefore this point is tie to the point 1.
Cafetaria Catholics from Western Europe live in societies who are Apatheist (many say Atheist , but I prefer the term of Apatheist because the majority of people from this part of the world don't care about religion and haven't any interest about the existence of God).
Even if Evangelical Christians aren't the majority in North America , they live in a zone where religions is considered like very important.
In North America (particulary in USA) the majority of people pray before eat with their family.
In Western Europe this is not the case.
So?
Quote:Why don't you consider 2-5 like translation ?
why do you assume I don't?
Quote:Are you a KJV only ? if this is the case I precise
that this is not the authorised version.
Do you think I would make your efforts here so easy?Laughat Ahhh, no.

Quote:What do you fear , if you speak ?
The above" begs the question" which is a logical fallacy. Why do you beg the question here? Do you really expect a response? Do you not know any better or is it your prayer that I don't?

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

27-04-2014, 06:51 PM
(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  Why?

So you can get back into a comfortable position to argue from?

I think that this is essential to know the source because there are some sources that we can't trust.

If the source or the text itself isn't important. Explain me why the ecclesiastic authorities finalised the books selection for their biblical canon (the catholic biblical canon) in the IVth session of the council of trent in "April , 8th , 1546" ?

Also the Protestant haven't the same biblical canon than Catholic like the Orthodox Christians.

There are many biblical canons. Therefore there are some sources that we can't trust.

Do you think that the authors of canonical gospels (there are the same in all mainstream branch of Christianity) are Matthew , Mark , Luke and John ?

(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  The example is invalid because establishing a relationship with God is nothing like founding a company.

I can't used an example related to religion or spirituality. Because this thing is different for everybody.
Therefore I choiced an example that the majority of men and women can understand.

(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  You will ask information to ?
In founding a company you can learn as you go or seek someone with experience.

With establishing a relationship with God one seeks God directly, according to what Christ Himself had to say, thus invalidating your example crushing your point.

You say that my example is invalid because establishing a relationship with God is nothing like founding a company.
Therefore whats' the link between have an experience with God (speaking with him , hear him, pray etc... [I think that these experiences are illusions]) and founding a company ?

(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  what better source of the things and nature of God than God Himself

If the better source is God himself. How communicate with this person who isn't a human ?

(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  What was a better teacher when you were growing up? Being told something was hot and never have being burned, or knowing what being burned was, and then being warned something was hot?

With out the experience of being burned a few times after being warned something was hot, being warned is almost meaningless in of itself. Because with out the experience of suffering the pain of being burned, what is heat/hot/burned?

It is only after we experience the pain of being burned, and been saved from it a few times does the warning have meaning.

Can you give an example of trust with out experience to back it?

It was my mother and myself who permit me to know what's very cold , cold , heat and hot.

You want that I tell you an experience.
Read my precedent phrase.

(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  This statement has been proven false in Accordance to your thoughts that need to legitimize a singular source for the bible.

It's hard to claim you do not believe in one set of rules for Christianity, and then in the same post start out by declaring that the bible must be identified with a singular point of origin.

So which is it sport? Is Christianity bound by a singular set of rules, thus the need for a universal singular source for the bible or is it free from such constraints?

There are many manners to interpret the Bible.
Some Christians think that Genesis is litteral (Evangelicals Christians). Some Christians think that Genesis isn't litteral but the world creation explained in a metaphorical language like the Catholics pro-Vatican II who believe in Theistic evolution.

There are a singular point of origin but people interpret Bible differently accorded to their denomination , culture , personality etc...

The majority of Americans and Africans Christians are litteralist.
The majority of Western Europeans and Northern Europeans Christians interpet the Bible like a metaphorical text. (Many of them don't believe litteraly in Exodus when Moses separate the waters).

(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  So?

So? what. Which point isn't too detailed for you ?

(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  Do you think I would make your efforts here so easy?Laughat Ahhh, no.

It was just a question.

(26-04-2014 11:09 PM)Drich Wrote:  The above" begs the question" which is a logical fallacy. Why do you beg the question here? Do you really expect a response? Do you not know any better or is it your prayer that I don't?

Excuse me , but we're on Internet I ask to myself what do you fear ?
Your're anonymous (except for the police of your country and national inteligences of all countries).
27-04-2014, 10:44 PM
(27-04-2014 06:51 PM)viocjit Wrote:  I think that this is essential to know the source because there are some sources that we can't trust.
you are attempting to argue an antiquated and defeated position.

Yours is fallacious reasoning based on the tenability/validity of a given religion and it's doctrinal source material. Your approach is to question and cast doubt (to question blind unverifiable trust) thereby casting doubt on the whole religion.

The greater point I have made (that you seem to not understand or simply do not know how to answer) is the I am not selling a specific religion nor doctrine. (Therefore your approach fails) I am telling you that anyone who humbles himself and a/s/k's as out lined in luke 11, will indeed find God Himself.

The trust in scripture is not based on the provenance of the text itself, but on a direct interaction with God.

If we can't "trust" God then their is no hope for us anyway.

To put it another way, how does one verify the validity of a treasure map? Though an intellectual comity that examines when and where it was written, the ink used, the place it was found by whom?? No absolutely not!

Why? Because none of that tells you whether or not the map does indeed lead to treasure. (Again checking the validity of the map/content, not its history.)
One could have the ability to trace a map back to its origins and it not mean they will find treasure. The only true test of a treasure map is to follow the map and dig precisely where it tells you to dig. Like wise one maybe able to trace their bible back to the original author, but if one follows what it says and can not find God their book is useless no matter how accurate the translation.

Quote:
If the source or the text itself isn't important. Explain me why the ecclesiastic authorities finalised the books selection for their biblical canon (the catholic biblical canon) in the IVth session of the council of trent in "April , 8th , 1546" ?
because they like me and the rest of us are only responsible to what we have been given and can understand. For them it was to canonize what they understood to be truth.

Quote:Also the Protestant haven't the same biblical canon than Catholic like the Orthodox Christians.
Laugh out load ahh, so? Again do the Protestants understand the bible and worship of God as the Catholics do? No, why?

Where you see division I see divine will being carried out. Our greatest command is to love God with all of our being. Because we are all different that 'love' that has been commanded will manifest itself in different ways.
These different ways manifest themselves in different expressions of faith.

Again in all bible translations we have the parable of the talents and the explanation of that parable is always the same. We are to be faithful to what God has given us. If He gives us catholism with un wavering faith in the system of belief then that is what we must be faithful to. And so on...

Quote:There are many biblical canons. Therefore there are some sources that we can't trust.
only if you are so foolish to believe there their is only "one true version of Christianity" acceptable before God.

Quote:Do you think that the authors of canonical gospels (there are the same in all mainstream branch of Christianity) are Matthew , Mark , Luke and John ?
look sport I have studied the bible for going on 20 years now I know they are not the same. I'm not some life long catholic or Protestant who will be shocked by any 'biblical/historical' revelation that typically works for you.

I've looked at and accepted those changes and what's more I've come up with a very very simple explanation for them (it's the same one I am shooting your argument down with now.)

Quote:I can't used an example related to religion or spirituality. Because this thing is different for everybody.
not true. You would know this if you spent 1/2 as much time reading the bible itself rather than reading about the bible.

There is only one prescribed method in obtaining The Holy Spirit that has been given to us.
Quote:Therefore I choiced an example that the majority of men and women can understand.
you 'choiced' wrong. Because again starting a business is nothing like obtaining a one on one relationship with God.
(I've done both):

Quote:You say that my example is invalid because establishing a relationship with God is nothing like founding a company.
yes here you are correct.
Quote:Therefore whats' the link between have an experience with God (speaking with him , hear him, pray etc... [I think that these experiences are illusions]) and founding a company ?
I've already outlined the differences per my last response.

Quote:If the better source is God himself. How communicate with this person who isn't a human ?
again through the Holy Spirit which is offered if one will humble himself and a/s/k as outlined in like 11.

Quote:It was my mother and myself who permit me to know what's very cold , cold , heat and hot.

You want that I tell you an experience.
Read my precedent phrase.
did you miss the greater point or is this an attempt at a red herring?

You asked for an example where 'experience' trumps knowledge (or whatever point you were making at the time) I provided it, then I asked you to provide an example where experience looses to whatever it was you were trying to sell. Can you provide an example of this 'wonder knowledge' or not?

Quote:There are many manners to interpret the Bible.
indeed, and we are only responsible to interpret it the best we can.
Quote:Some Christians think that Genesis is litteral (Evangelicals Christians). Some Christians think that Genesis isn't litteral but the world creation explained in a metaphorical language like the Catholics pro-Vatican II who believe in Theistic evolution.

There are a singular point of origin but people interpret Bible differently accorded to their denomination , culture , personality etc...

The majority of Americans and Africans Christians are litteralist.
The majority of Western Europeans and Northern Europeans Christians interpet the Bible like a metaphorical text. (Many of them don't believe litteraly in Exodus when Moses separate the waters).
so?

Quote:So? what. Which point isn't too detailed for you ?
begs the question (that seems to be your favorite logical fallacy)
The word 'so' in context should have compelled you to make your point known. It was an invitation for you to commit to an idea, so when I refute it you can't back peddle, and say I presume too much.

Quote:Excuse me , but we're on Internet I ask to myself what do you fear ?
Your're anonymous (except for the police of your country and national inteligences of all countries).
Then rephrase your question in such as way as to not evoke a logical fallacy if you seek an answer.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

29-04-2014, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2014 06:10 PM by DLJ.)
Temporarily Closed while I do a clean up...

Only 2 boxers in the Ring at any one time, please.

This is not Tag wrestling.

Cheers

Thanks for waiting

[Image: round-2.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
Thread Closed