Why does Christianity sound like woo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: Why does Christianity sound like woo
What's silly about a story with talking animals, explainable parlor tricks, and unscientific "facts"?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
12-12-2015, 12:18 PM
(11-12-2015 08:38 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 07:07 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Woo meaning silly. This whole thing sounds silly. I mean I am over this religion but even when I hear people talking about it, it sounds silly to me.

If children weren't indoctrinated into religious fantasy as real, nearly no one would buy that crap. Pascal's Wager reigns supreme because children live by wishful thinking and they're too scared to give it up as adults.

But world wide missions by hundreds of different religious groups convert millions of victims. It is a wonder to me too, but I have family who have spoent years "In the mission field" and every year they "rejoice" at the number of people they have been able to fool!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
12-12-2015, 12:54 PM
(12-12-2015 12:18 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 08:38 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  If children weren't indoctrinated into religious fantasy as real, nearly no one would buy that crap. Pascal's Wager reigns supreme because children live by wishful thinking and they're too scared to give it up as adults.

But world wide missions by hundreds of different religious groups convert millions of victims. It is a wonder to me too, but I have family who have spoent years "In the mission field" and every year they "rejoice" at the number of people they have been able to fool!

Yes and that breaks my heart like no other. Mission = bribery from starvation. It's so immoral I can't hardly have a reasoned conversation about it. It makes my blood boil to think that they have the gall to say, "I have food and if you don't want to die follow my god." (pukes)

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
12-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Why does Christianity sound like woo
(12-12-2015 12:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 12:18 PM)DerFish Wrote:  But world wide missions by hundreds of different religious groups convert millions of victims. It is a wonder to me too, but I have family who have spoent years "In the mission field" and every year they "rejoice" at the number of people they have been able to fool!

Yes and that breaks my heart like no other. Mission = bribery from starvation. It's so immoral I can't hardly have a reasoned conversation about it. It makes my blood boil to think that they have the gall to say, "I have food and if you don't want to die follow my god." (pukes)

I never heard of that one before. Let's make a church and take all the woo out. We'll play secular songs most people would know. Then you would have someone give a speech. Not about woo. But about something that would inspire us and get our minds thinking. Are there any churches like this? If so I would love to attend one like this.
13-12-2015, 04:32 AM
(12-12-2015 12:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 12:18 PM)DerFish Wrote:  But world wide missions by hundreds of different religious groups convert millions of victims. It is a wonder to me too, but I have family who have spoent years "In the mission field" and every year they "rejoice" at the number of people they have been able to fool!

I have pointed thos out to my wife and she says that since I don't believe it, then I wouldn't get it. And that is not what they do according to her even though the first thing they do is build a church. Before you know, a cafeteria.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
13-12-2015, 12:42 PM
(13-12-2015 04:32 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 12:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yes and that breaks my heart like no other. Mission = bribery from starvation. It's so immoral I can't hardly have a reasoned conversation about it. It makes my blood boil to think that they have the gall to say, "I have food and if you don't want to die follow my god." (pukes)

I have pointed thos out to my wife and she says that since I don't believe it, then I wouldn't get it. And that is not what they do according to her even though the first thing they do is build a church. Before you know, a cafeteria.

It really is what they do.

They hold services while people are eating, if you don't want to listen you are subtly pressured not to attend or get food. That is bribery in my book.

This is also one of the issue I have with homeless shelters and food kitchens. If you want their support you must listen to their message. Talk about condition training. Come in little mice, get your treat and our god. (pukes)

Totally immoral and from a humanist POV, repugnant!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post