Why does God have a desire or any emotions for that matter ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Why does God have a desire or any emotions for that matter ?
When people say something like "You've made God angry" or "God's commands it" it just comes off very as rather silly in the hindsight.

I just don't see the logic in anthropomorphizing God with little investigation we can easily conclude that the emotions we have are nothing than self-regulated mechanisms for keeping us healthy and alive that's it there's no other logical purpose for it other than our survival.. so why does God have that ?

What use is anger or love for God ? why does he have them anyway ?

Why does he needs us to pray ? What use of it is for him ??

Why does he want life sacrifices ? What use of it is for him ??

Why does he judge humans ? What use of it is for him ??

perhaps why did he makes humans in the first place ? that would suggest that he had a desire for something which is self-contradictory.

God is like an ocean and anything else in the universe is like little droplets of rain drops in comparison,it makes 0% of sense for God to have a Desire for ANYTHING let alone obsessing over one particular piece of rock for no apparent reason.

God cannot be "Angry" because he has omnipotence&omniscience humans and other animals get angry when they can't get to do something whereas God doesn't need to do jackshit because he's God.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like IndianAtheist's post
20-12-2013, 07:42 AM
RE: Why does God have a desire or any emotions for that matter ?
Because he was created in our image? Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
20-12-2013, 08:33 AM
It's just more evidence that God is a bunch of bronze age mythology that was modified countless times since. When people add to or change the story, they don't realize all the implications of those changes to the rest of the story.

Oh, apologetics, you so crazy.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
20-12-2013, 10:33 PM
St Thomas Aquinas explains by saying we, in this instance, are using analogies. It is the same as how we anthropomorphise other things. The word literally means to apply human characteristics to something that does not have them.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
20-12-2013, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2013 10:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-12-2013 10:33 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  St Thomas Aquinas explains by saying we, in this instance, are using analogies. It is the same as how we anthropomorphise other things. The word literally means to apply human characteristics to something that does not have them.

like father and son ?

Aquinas says lots of fun stuff.
"The reason the snake approached Eve was the light of reason shone less brightly in her" Dodgy

The just in heaven get to watch the suffering of their enemies in hell, so as to increase their pleasure .

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-12-2013, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2013 11:06 PM by Alla.)
(20-12-2013 07:41 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  When people say something like "You've made God angry" or "God's commands it" it just comes off very as rather silly in the hindsight.

I just don't see the logic in anthropomorphizing God with little investigation we can easily conclude that the emotions we have are nothing than self-regulated mechanisms for keeping us healthy and alive that's it there's no other logical purpose for it other than our survival.. so why does God have that ?
May be they are not only for this purpose?

(20-12-2013 07:41 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  What use is anger or love for God ? why does he have them anyway ?
Love makes Him happy.
"Anger of God" is term that prophets sometimes use for term "Justice of God".

(20-12-2013 07:41 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Why does he needs us to pray ? What use of it is for him ??
He doesn't need it. I need it.

(20-12-2013 07:41 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Why does he want life sacrifices ? What use of it is for him ??
He doesn't want and He doesn't need it. Life sacrifice was just a reminder that He will sacrifice His Son. Just a reminder that we need.

(20-12-2013 07:41 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Why does he judge humans ? What use of it is for him ??
He loves Justice.

(20-12-2013 07:41 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  perhaps why did he makes humans in the first place ? that would suggest that he had a desire for something which is self-contradictory.
It is a long story. I am trying to explain to RobbyPants.
But to be short - He wants to have His children. Children are BLESSING and His heritage. Without children God can not progress in eternity.

(20-12-2013 07:41 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  God is like an ocean and anything else in the universe is like little droplets of rain drops in comparison,it makes 0% of sense for God to have a Desire for ANYTHING let alone obsessing over one particular piece of rock for no apparent reason.
You have wrong idea about God of this world.

(20-12-2013 07:41 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  God cannot be "Angry" because he has omnipotence&omniscience humans and other animals get angry when they can't get to do something whereas God doesn't need to do jackshit because he's God.
Hmmm. "He can't get angry". How about He CAN but doesn't have a desire to be angry?

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
20-12-2013, 11:58 PM
God(s) are cultural constructs. God(s) personality is really dependent on the ideals of the tribe. Some forget that you're supposed to go beyond the tribe and not cling to them forever, at least not everyone. God's are the raft that takes you across the sea of life until you can come to grips with reality then you can take what works and abandon the rest when you reach stable shores and explore on your own or other liken folks, see what they discovered. You're not supposed to take the raft with you wherever you go. Some people stay behind to teach what they know to ferry the next group. These ferrymen are not supposed to weigh anchor with a group indefinitely, everyone must move on eventually.
(okay that didn't really answer your question, sorryTongue)

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
21-12-2013, 12:50 AM
(20-12-2013 11:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  He doesn't want and He doesn't need it. Life sacrifice was just a reminder that He will sacrifice His Son.

Curious.

So God does not want or need a life sacrifice, but did (according to you) life sacrifice his son while simultaneously not WANTING to sacrifice his son and not NEEDING to life sacrifice his son.

I'm curious as to WHY he life sacrificed his son if he neither wanted to or needed to. What was his motivation is at that point?
21-12-2013, 01:06 AM
(20-12-2013 11:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  Without children God can not progress in eternity.

No, that doesn't make sense. If God is omnipotent he is entirely unrestricted. If it is true that "Without children God can not progress in eternity" who established that rule?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
21-12-2013, 01:11 AM
(21-12-2013 01:06 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 11:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  Without children God can not progress in eternity.

No, that doesn't make sense. If God is omnipotent he is entirely unrestricted. If it is true that "Without children God can not progress in eternity" who established that rule?

I'd like to add my own question if I may: If God needs children to progress through eternity how did he progress through the part of eternity before he had children?
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post