Why does God have the right to kill?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Why does God have the right to kill?
I was debating with a friend, and she told me that God has the right to kill since he was the one who gave life, and so, he can take away life.

I've been thinking that God had been immoral since he killed so many people when he got Joshua to lead an army to take the Promised Land. My friend's argument makes sense to me, but I'd like to ask you guys for your thoughts as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chujutsu's post
14-06-2012, 08:27 AM
RE: Why does God have the right to kill?
It's like this:

If God is truly perfect in every way which means He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, then He can do no wrong. If God is sovereign and morally autonomous, then His actions cannot be brought into question. His actions are done for a reason and for a purpose.

It boils down to accepting whether or not God is sovereign.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-06-2012, 08:28 AM
The Might Makes Right argument. If somebody really believes this I find it hard to reason with them that this position is absurd. I would posit that if their special friend exists then the morality the calmor about would be viloated time and again by it.

So can she kill a child she gives life to? If the creation act makes you the owner then it does beg the question.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-06-2012, 08:30 AM
(14-06-2012 08:22 AM)Chujutsu Wrote:  I was debating with a friend, and she told me that God has the right to kill since he was the one who gave life, and so, he can take away life.

I've been thinking that God had been immoral since he killed so many people when he got Joshua to lead an army to take the Promised Land. My friend's argument makes sense to me, but I'd like to ask you guys for your thoughts as well.
Umm... You double posted the this thread.

As for my thoughts

Does your mother have the right to kill you simply just because she gave birth to you? Of course not. Just because God gave life to you, does not make it right when he takes it away.

Another one.... If she is argueing that God is superior to humans therefore he an take life away.

I genuinely think that Humans, not to say superior, are generally well better than Dogs.... Does that give us the right to kill them, of course not!

Then why does our "Creator" have the right to take life away. Why does God feel like he can meddle in our afairs simply because he gave us life?

It is a variation of the Might make Right fallacy.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
14-06-2012, 08:30 AM
(14-06-2012 08:28 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  The Might Makes Right argument. If somebody really believes this I find it hard to reason with them that this position is absurd. I would posit that if their special friend exists then the morality the calmor about would be viloated time and again by it.

So can she kill a child she gives life to? If the creation act makes you the owner then it does beg the question.

This line of thinking is only applicable to a fallible being. If the being is infallible, then the line of thinking simply can't exist and becomes moot.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-06-2012, 08:33 AM
(14-06-2012 08:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 08:28 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  The Might Makes Right argument. If somebody really believes this I find it hard to reason with them that this position is absurd. I would posit that if their special friend exists then the morality the calmor about would be viloated time and again by it.

This line of thinking is only applicable to a fallible being. If the being is infallible, then the line of thinking simply can't exist and becomes moot.

Sorry I was dealing with reality Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
14-06-2012, 08:38 AM
(14-06-2012 08:33 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 08:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This line of thinking is only applicable to a fallible being. If the being is infallible, then the line of thinking simply can't exist and becomes moot.

Sorry I was dealing with reality Smile
He wanted to know an atheist's refutation. God's standards for morals, to me, are very fallible, even monstrous... With a hint of mentally disabled.

If you everything God tells you is true, please stop eating shelfish, and lay hands on sick people.

(this is not an insult.)

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
14-06-2012, 08:38 AM
(14-06-2012 08:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's like this:

If God is truly perfect in every way which means He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, then He can do no wrong. If God is sovereign and morally autonomous, then His actions cannot be brought into question. His actions are done for a reason and for a purpose.

It boils down to accepting whether or not God is sovereign.

What his oh-so-beyond-our-understanding reason for, say, putting Adam and Eve with access to the Tree of Knowledge despite knowing what is going to happen, kick them out of the garden for doing something he knew that it's going to happen (and they didn't really know it was bad) and finally putting a guarding angel for the tree to protect him from god knows what?

It's not mysterious and beyond our understand, but down right retarded and incompetent.
[+] 2 users Like Vlad's post
14-06-2012, 08:41 AM
(14-06-2012 08:38 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 08:33 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Sorry I was dealing with reality Smile

He wanted to know an atheist's refutation. God's standards for morals, to me, are very fallible, even monstrous... With a hint of mentally disabled.

If you everything God tells you is true, please stop eating shelfish, and lay hands on sick people.

(this is not an insult.)

I agree, I'm at work responded too quickly Smile

David Hume
14-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Hey guys. Don't get me wrong, but I kinda feel like refuting my friend's argument, and I'd like to know what response there could be.

After all, I was thinking at first that God is immoral for killing people. So, I now find myself asking, why is it immoral for God to kill people? My friend said that it was because God gave life to us that it is okay for him to take life.

I'd like to know what sort of response is appropriate.