Why does YouTube think I'm an alcoholic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 11:21 PM
RE: Why does YouTube think I'm an alcoholic?
(17-12-2013 08:31 AM)Caveman Wrote:  So not liking wodka makes you not an alcoholic?
You haven't mentioned your preference for other beverages.

Also, ads are also set by the shows that you watch, they have a say in which ads or which genre of ads are shown with their shows, especially if they are partners.

All I watch is The Young Turks, AronRa, Steve Shives, QualiaSoup, Evid3nc3, The Thinking Atheist, and other assorted science/atheist stuff.

Guess I should be happy I'm getting relatively high-brow Grey Goose ads and not ones for Bud Light or Pabst Blue Ribbon...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I think it's related to Google Ads Remarketing. From what I understand, it works something like this:

-Visit advertiser's website
-See advertiser's ads EVERYWHERE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE (ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but that's how it seems).

The same thing happened to me with Citrix ShareFile. I visited the site once, and then for months saw their ads where ever I went, and every youtube video I watched started with "Hi, I'm Dan and I work at Citrix... <skip ad>"

Anyway, clearing your cookies should take care of it.

Lead us not into temptation. Just point us in the right direction.
18-12-2013, 04:41 PM
(17-12-2013 11:21 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 08:31 AM)Caveman Wrote:  So not liking wodka makes you not an alcoholic?
You haven't mentioned your preference for other beverages.

Also, ads are also set by the shows that you watch, they have a say in which ads or which genre of ads are shown with their shows, especially if they are partners.

All I watch is The Young Turks, AronRa, Steve Shives, QualiaSoup, Evid3nc3, The Thinking Atheist, and other assorted science/atheist stuff.

Guess I should be happy I'm getting relatively high-brow Grey Goose ads and not ones for Bud Light or Pabst Blue Ribbon...

Well, as everyone knows... most scientists and certainly all atheists are simply drunken fornicators. Thus, dating sites and booze are relatively appealing.

The interwebz is simply monetarily exploiting your hell-bound habits. Angel have fun in your abyss

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-12-2013, 04:01 AM
Now I'm getting flooded with ads for Kay Jewelers, FML...

19-12-2013, 01:24 PM
I try to load a music video for my five-year-old that I know is clean, and I get an ad that is a movie preview with swearing. Wonderful.
19-12-2013, 01:42 PM
(16-12-2013 03:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I use AddBlocker in Chrome on PC, but when listening to YouTube on my iPod at work, I get inundated with adds before almost every video; and every single one for the past two weeks has been the same Grey Goose vodka advertisement.

So why does YouTube think I'm an alcoholic? Undecided

I don't even like vodka...

I always get the same Spanish ad for Suave shampoo. Lol
19-12-2013, 02:07 PM
I got ads for persimmon trees for 6 months after I looked around for some. I guess they don't have too many people they can link persimmon trees to...Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-12-2013, 02:15 PM
(19-12-2013 04:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Now I'm getting flooded with ads for Kay Jewelers, FML...

See?! If you like a think you better put a ring on it. You're soon to find your dream gal over at Christian Mingle.

Get over there and sign up right now! Drinking Beverage Don't forget: god has damned you, you drunken sot.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
20-12-2013, 01:07 AM
(19-12-2013 02:15 PM)kim Wrote:  Get over there and sign up right now! Drinking Beverage Don't forget: god has damned you, you drunken sot.

Sorry, already got a girlfriend, and she's as damned as I am.

Still, maybe I can find a nice Mormon girl looking for an open relationship? Consider

Tongue Angel

21-12-2013, 02:30 AM
I'm pretty sure its random. Or you just have ran into a beer ad somewhere else before and now its only giving you those ads.

"How can one be an atheist if he is constantly praying for redemption"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user