Why does anyone need a god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Why does anyone need a god?
The concept of an all knowing, all powerful god is petty at it's core. If one has those powers and knows the outcome prior to the start, it is nothing more than knowing the end of a movie because you wrote the script yourself. What is the point other than self satisfaction? If you are a God the movie always ends the way you want it to. It seems reality is far less scripted than the utopias people needlessly dream up and kill each other over.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2014, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 08:16 AM by CleverUsername.)
RE: Why does anyone need a god?
Because, if they have a god, to go along with the metaphor, they are the protagonist. That is, they will (9 times out of 10) make it to the end of the film (the average human lifespan) alive, and he might make their life extremely difficult every once in a while and kill off a few of their family members or millions of strangers, but really it's all just to make them more interesting.

It makes them feel more safe, is that I'm trying to say.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
17-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Fear of death combined with a need for a shared conscience...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
17-08-2014, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 12:05 AM by Reltzik.)
God is great for the employment of the First Estate, handy for the mustering of forces for and securing the position of the Second Estate, and useful in ordering the Third Estate in a manner favorable to the First and Second.
18-08-2014, 12:18 AM
I think if they really thought about it, they wouldn't.
18-08-2014, 07:01 AM
(17-08-2014 02:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  The concept of an all knowing, all powerful god is petty at it's core. If one has those powers and knows the outcome prior to the start, it is nothing more than knowing the end of a movie because you wrote the script yourself. What is the point other than self satisfaction? If you are a God the movie always ends the way you want it to. It seems reality is far less scripted than the utopias people needlessly dream up and kill each other over.

People love black and white. It makes decisions easy. If they can paint themselves on the good side, then it makes them feel better. Of course, things are a lot more complicated and nuanced than that, which makes it hard to feel good about your choices. So, simply invent an evil entity to continually fight against, and you're set! Belief in God and Satan makes people feel better about a lot of the shitty parts of life. The Just world hypothesis makes people feel good.

Obligatory SMBC comic, spoilered for largeness:

[Image: 20110513.gif]
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-08-2014, 09:26 AM
For some it hope. For others it's fear. And then there are those that need a god to justify their acts.
18-08-2014, 09:33 AM
I am almost convinced that it's not even a god that the religious are obsessed with. It's the afterlife. It's ridding their fear of the nothingness of what is to come and replacing it with a fictitious fallacy of sex, wine and wealth. Having the concept of god is just an easy way to answer the unanswerable philosophical questions.

I also believe that some religions did not begin because of a belief in a god, but as Napoleon Bonaparte discussed several times, for power and control over the masses. The very inventors of religion probably didn't believe in an afterlife or a god.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
18-08-2014, 10:20 AM
It is everything and all of the above. People are afraid. People want answers to difficult questions. People both want to know what to do with themselves, and leaders created religions and enforced existing ones to control people.
18-08-2014, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 01:12 PM by TheInquisition.)
I had a philosophical musing about god the other day, I believe that god is not just a convenient way to fill in gaps in our knowledge and give it a name. It is also a way to describe our perception of perfection. Many Christians will describe god in terms of the perfect example of things, love, peace, justice etc.

Though perfection is a concept that is functionally and practically non-existent in this universe. Therefore perfection is merely a concept of the imagination, an idea that we label "God".

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post