Why does anyone need a god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 10:39 AM
RE: Why does anyone need a god?
(18-08-2014 10:25 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I had a philosophical musing about god the other day, I believe that god is not just a convenient way to fill in gaps in our knowledge and give it a name. It also a way to describe our perception of perfection. Many Christians will describe god in terms of the perfect example of things, love, peace, justice etc.

Though perfection is a concept that is functionally and practically non-existant in this universe. Therefore perfection is merely a concept of the imagination, an idea that we label "God".

Perfectly put! It is the ontological argument all over. The same argument used by Descarte and Anselm. "There is nothing greater than that which we can conceive". It almost convinced me of being a theist when I was younger.. but realised after reading upon Fraud that perfection is very much perceived upon the foundations we lay during childhood.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
18-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I need God because without him my position would be absurd.

Truth seeker.
18-08-2014, 03:20 PM
(18-08-2014 03:04 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I need God because without him my position would be absurd.

Meh - I still contend that even if God did exist your position would be absurd.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 4 users Like CiderThinker's post
18-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Ultimately my theory is fear, but I usually put believers into one of four categories;

1) They were brought up in a religious atmosphere/family so it is ingrained in their way of life, and they have either fully embraced it because to not do so would get one ostracized from their family, friends, community, OR they are too scared to think otherwise because unholy thoughts are the devil's work.

2) They are elderly, and the elderly are naturally scared of their inevitable demise and turn to the church for comfort. The church LOVES this as they are the bread and butter of the offering plates...fear is a great industry in america/and of course the world in general.

3) They are simply gullible..ever heard the old adage, the stupid and their money are soon parted?...yeah, kind of goes along with that.

4) They are uneducated, and do not know any better, because they get their belief system from reverend johnson who cherry picks phrases out the bible to drive home his agenda that day...the faithful wave the bible and yet few have actually read it.

comes back to fear, something religions have exploited from the beginning.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
18-08-2014, 06:21 PM
(18-08-2014 03:04 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I need God because without him my position would be absurd.

Agreed.

... your position IS absurd.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
22-08-2014, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2014 04:36 PM by Baruch.)
Why does anyone need a god????

To feel good about doing really nasty things - such as barbaric murderous acts for righteous motivations they justify !!!

- Such as inquisitions.
- Suicide bombings
- Beheading people
- Creating States they call Godly such as ISIS or Christindom

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post